Good Horror Books?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
shalako
Currently Reading: Enter, night
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalako.html

Good Horror Books?

Post by shalako »

I just finished Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum (very chilling) and I'm wondering what I should read next. Some of my favorite books are Needful Things by Stephen King, House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski, and Penpal by Dathan whatever-his-last-name-is. I also enjoy Gillian Flynn and Joe Hill. Any level of creepy is fine, I don't care if it's terrifying or just spooky, so long as the writing is good. If you've never read any of the books I mentioned I'd still love to hear your recs - what's YOUR favorite horror book?
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

My favorite monster of all time is the werewolf. I am not a fan of Steven King but I did, overall, like Silver Bullet. I remember being in a book shop with a girlfriend long long ago and as she was talking to the shop owner about a book she wanted to order I casually picked up this book (which had just been published) and began to read it only because the title suggested the werewolf theme. I had only read a few pages and found that I was hooked. It was a good read though King, in his own inimitable way, manages to screw it up in several places in a manner which is to me like listening to fingernails scraping on a blackboard, but not enough to ruin the overall effect.

I don't know if this is your cup of tea, but you might give it a go.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
shalako

Post by shalako »

Silver Bullet was the very first horror book I ever read! My grandfather gave it to me when I was nine to pass time at a family reunion and from then on I was hooked. Although even at that age I remember cringing a few times at King's writing XD
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I read Girl Next Door a few months ago as well. Wow, that one was much darker than I expected!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Ginya
Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginya.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by Ginya »

Since you enjoyed Jack Ketchum I want to recommend Edward Lee and Richard Laymon (the 3 of them have even appeared in anthologies together!) They both have published huge amounts of work though to be fair they can both be very graphic at times and some of Richard Laymon's work can get very weird and sexual (the Beast House books).
I would highly recommend The City Infernal series by Edward Lee. He remakes his own vision of hell for these books and everyone gets their just deserts (as well as chances for redemption)
I'm also a Huge Bentley Little fan. He's a shock horror author if ever I've read one and some really bizarre stuff happens in his books. (They are so so fun) The Dominion is my personal favorite and incorporates aspects of ancient mythology and my second would be the Dispatch about a man who is quite persuasive with a pen and then of course is the Store, which shows you the Real horrors of upper management.
Oh geez, I rambled...I hope you find something you like!
shalako

Post by shalako »

Thanks for rambling! These sound GREAT, I can't wait to check them out
Anna500
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna500.html

Post by Anna500 »

I'm a fan of Japanese horror books so I would recommend the 'Ring' and 'Hell' by Yasutaka Tsutsui, both half interesting atmospheres to them.
shalako

Post by shalako »

That sounds awesome! Have they been translated into English?
Anna500
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna500.html

Post by Anna500 »

shalako wrote:That sounds awesome! Have they been translated into English?
Yes, both of them are available in English.
shalako

Post by shalako »

That's great, thanks! I'll get right on those
NCooley

Post by NCooley »

If you like books about werewolves check out independent author Alexander S. Brown book Syrenthia Falls.
shalako

Post by shalako »

I just checked it out and it seems really good! Kinda like Carrie it seems but with werewolves. Thanks for the rec
Civil 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Civil 8 »

Hi Guys, I'm new to all this, in fact just registered myself....
Oooh, talking about horror books, I just can't recall when I last read one....I use to enjoy books by the author Dean Koonz (not certain if I got his name spelled right!). He just some how manage to capture your imagination and getting you into his plot..... I tried picking up one of his newer writes, but just couldn't get into it. Maybe he has changed his style of writing or is it me, who has just stop wanting to be spooked in my mind.....
shalako

Post by shalako »

I read one of his books (it was about a clown) when I was a kid and I adored it, I really should read more
Ginya
Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginya.html

Post by Ginya »

It's fun rambling! Feel free to friend me if you ever feel like talking about any of them : )
shalako wrote:Thanks for rambling! These sound GREAT, I can't wait to check them out

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”