What book to read?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
wonderd
Bookshelf Size: 0

What book to read?

Post by wonderd »

Hello everyone. I am looking for some suggestions on what is a good book to read for my current state of life.

27 years old. Broke up with my girlfriend after 8 years. Moved back into parents house. Feel lost like I have not yet found myself. I have not many friends and I don't have a life. I work from home and am in my room most of the time when I'm not at the grocery store or not at the gym. I want a life. I'm over the whole weekend going to a bar scene so thats kind of out.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

It depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a distraction? Something hopeful? Something else? :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
wonderd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wonderd »

Haha no I am not looking for a distraction. A non-fiction book that could give some insight into life and can maybe point me in the right direction. How to find myself maybe?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

That's not really my genre, but I'm sure someone will have some recommendations :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

wonderd wrote:Haha no I am not looking for a distraction. A non-fiction book that could give some insight into life and can maybe point me in the right direction. How to find myself maybe?
Definitely the Bible! :D Best book I have ever read and excellent for purpose and life guidance. 8)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Arun Bhardwaj
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arun-bhardwaj.html

Post by Arun Bhardwaj »

Read The holy 'Bhagwat geeta' you will find the reason of your existence.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Do you have the kindle app? What about kindle unlimited? There are tons of non fiction help books. I've read one on a quarter life crisis, a lot of books that encourage inner happiness and for me, books on procrastination. I have some titles that you may be interested in but I don't remember them by heart. They're in my basement library and I'm not in the area right now. For now, I definitely say look on Amazon. It's easy to search for topics that you think fits you the best.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I don't normally read self-help books, but I really liked the non-fiction book The Geography of Bliss. The author travels in search of what makes people in different cultures happy.

I also enjoyed Gilda Radner's It's Always Something; James Renfield's The Celestine Prophecy; Siddhartha (Herman Hesse, not non-fiction); Eat, Pray, Love; Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human (not non-fiction); and Jun'ichirō Tanizaki's Naomi (not non-fiction).

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”