Dystopian Future

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Ashmaras
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashmaras.html

Dystopian Future

Post by Ashmaras »

I am getting into the dystopian future type novels and wondering if anyone has any good suggestions? I love the series "The 100" based on the novels so I'm starting those. I've also done a few here and there over the years, but I've gotten a lot more interested in the genre in the past few months. Any suggestions are welcome!
TayLovesReading

Post by TayLovesReading »

If you like "The 100" I'm almost positive you would like The Maze Runners series. They are very similar along with The Hunger Games and the Divergent trilogy. All of those books kept me reading for weeks.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I agree with the above!
I would also recommend Legend by Marie Lu and Above the Sky by Jenny Lynne :)
seeker19
Currently Reading: The Trials of Apollo
Bookshelf Size: 506
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seeker19.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by seeker19 »

All of the above suggestions are amazing! I would also like to recommend the Under the Never Sky trilogy by Veronica Rossi. It is a very interesting series with great world building and intriguing character development. And the romance is very slow burn as well, so no insta love which is awesome :).
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Jaylnn
Currently Reading: Red Queen

Post by Jaylnn »

I agree with the suggestions above! I would really encourage you to read The Maze Runner. It's a really great series. I'm currently reading the Red Queen Series by Victoria Aveyard. It's one of the best I have read in a while. You should definitely take the time to check it out :)
ylisa7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

Most of these I have read and some are on my To Read list. They are in order of the ones I liked best:

Cinder(The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Unwind (Unwind Dystology #1) by Neal Shusterman

Divergent

Legend series by Lu Marie

Six of Crows series by Leigh Bardugo

Divergent series

Delirium series by Lauren Oliver

Born series by Tara Brown

Rob Thurman books

Maze Runner

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

The Park Service by Ryan Winfield

Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Did not read yet:

Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie

Ruby Red series by Kerstin Gier

Belligerent (Vicara #1) by B.N. Mauldin

The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Scott Medbury books

T.A. Williams books
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Between the Shelves
Currently Reading: Holding up the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-between-the-shelves.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Between the Shelves »

A lot of these suggestions are fantastic! I would also recommend The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (a classic) and The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness. The first book in that series is The Knife of Never Letting Go. Oh, and The Giver! That one is a fast read, and if you want to learn more about the series, there are three companion novels! :)
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
Darlene Reilley

Post by Darlene Reilley »

I agree that Marissa Meyer's novels are fantastic and the reason I'm answering here...one series that I didn't see on your list is the Testing Series by Joelle Charbonneau. Forgive me if you've already read them, but they're really good! Happy reading.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I liked the Across the Universe series a lot. I also read the hundred and it was amazing.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
ollesternberg

Post by ollesternberg »

A dystopia (from the Greek δυσ- and τόπος, alternatively, cacotopia, kakotopia, cackotopia, or anti-utopia) is an imaginary community or society that is undesirable or frightening. It is literally translated from Greek as "not-good place", an antonym of utopia.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

A lot of good suggestions here, would recommend the delerium series if you don't mind romance, The Maze Runner for action and The Lunar Chronicles​ is a bit of both. Divergent is also good and thought provoking. The Hunger Games is interesting but depressing and bleak in parts.
The 100 has also been made into a TV series which is very good but I haven't read the books.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I HIGHLY recommend Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam Trilogy! It is hauntingly plausible.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

godreaujea wrote:I HIGHLY recommend Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam Trilogy! It is hauntingly plausible.
I just looked this one up as the name sounded familiar, sounds interesting if a bit dark!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”