Joyce Carol Oates

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Joyce Carol Oates

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Has anyone read anything by her? I've been meaning to pick up some of her books, but I don't want to start with one that might turn me off. Any recommendations on where to start?
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I've read a handful of her books, and enjoyed them! That being said, it's hard to recommend one in particular, because she wrote so many. You might want to check her books out on Amazon and read the samples. Or if you have a local library, ask a librarian for a recommendation!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Thank you, I should just pick up some copies! There's a used book store near me that has a ton of her books that I'm always afraid to touch for some reason. :lol:
I'll just have to deal with it and read a little sample from a few of them.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html

Post by MsMartha »

If you visit the used book store, try reading the first page and see if the book gets your attention ;-)
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I have never heard of her at all. If you have Kindle app you might be able to read a little bit of it first so you don't have to go to the bookstore.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Taylor Razzani

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Both good points! I certainly do not need to go to another book store, so the Kindle app is a good idea. But I usually end up going to the book store anyway, so I can always pick up different copies and see what speaks to me ;)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I am currently reading The Man Without A Shadow by this author and it is my introduction to the work of Joyce Carol Oates.

I am about half way into the novel which is a mystery genre tale. I find nothing that is particularly appealing to me about the writing style, but it is not bad either. The story thus far seems to be droning on and is getting a bit tedious but I think there may be a reason for this so I am not passing judgement yet. Despite her luminous credentials, and bearing in mind that I have not yet finished the book, I would thus far rate Oates as a typical modern day novelist.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Pretty Pheonix
Favorite Author: Joyce Carol Oates
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
fav_author_id: 4458

Post by Pretty Pheonix »

Joyce Carol Oates has been my favorite author for almost 20 years. I have read around 20 of her works, with so much more to go! She is a master of the dark places the mind can go. I haven't gotten around to The Man Without a Shadow, yet, although I own it. I would recommend starting with one of the many short story collections she has published to know if her writing is for you, or not. She generally writes one novel and at least one collection each year.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I think I've read probably 20+ of her books so you can take it Joyce Carol Oates is one of my absolute favourite authors.

I would instance the following as her absolute best IMO:

We Were the Mulvaneys
The Female of the Species
Give Me Your Heart (Short stories, excellent but very dark)
A Fair Maiden
The Gravedigger's Daughter
Carthage
Daddy Love
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Taylor Razzani

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Thank you for the input everyone! I was afraid that the writing might not be what I like/am used to. I honestly wasn't aware she wrote short stories, so that would be a good place to start.

Now that I see the title, I think We Were the Mulvaneys was the book recommended to me, thank you!
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I also have not read any of her work. Not sure why and now that she has written so many, not sure where to start.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

The only work of hers that I have read is "Zombie" and perhaps, from what I have read, this is not the best one to start with. I enjoyed it, but consider myself someone that is perfectly capable to hold my own in the "WTF-factor" of some messed up books; this one challenged that capability.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Where are you going, Where have you been? This is a short story by her that it is one of my favorites. She dedicated it to Bob Dylan. It was written based off one of his songs.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”