Looking For Adventure/Fantasy

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Jason_Marchingo
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jason-marchingo.html
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Looking For Adventure/Fantasy

Post by Jason_Marchingo »

Hi everyone

So ive been reading books like Jasper Jones and The 5th Wave lately, but I'm looking for new tales to read.

I find myself drawn to adventure/fantasy and love a good SciFi.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jason
Avaleinna07
Currently Reading: Angel of Storms
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avaleinna07.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Avaleinna07 »

If you haven't read The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, you most definitely need to read both of those! Also, The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, and the Misborn series by Brandon Sanderson are excellent books.
Mashadar86
Currently Reading: Blood Upon the Sands
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Mashadar86 »

Sebastian De Castell - Greatcoats series is a great adventure. Has been described as Swashbuckling fantasy and is lots of fun.

Maybe also check out Michael J Sullivan's Rithyia books.
Alhen James
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6028">The Darkest Hour</a>
Currently Reading: Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 136

Post by Alhen James »

Try Dan Brown's Novels. (Da Vinci Code, Inferno, Digital Fortress, etc.)
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Adventure/fantasy AND sci-fi mixed together, try the Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green. In fact all his books are absolutely fantastic. I also recommend David Weber, John Ringo, Lois McMaster Bujold and in fact almost everyone who writes for Baen Press. In fact Baen have a ridiculously fabulous free library where they give away first-in-series books by just about all their authors - you can get Eric Flint's 1632, one of my all-time fave time-travel books, there, as well as amazing books by Tom Kratman, John Ringo, Timothy Zahn, David Drake, David Weber and more. I'll try and put the link below, but just in case the forum eats it, google "Baen Free Library"... and read your heart out!

http://www.baen.com/catalog/category/vi ... ry/id/2012
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Try checking out sub-genres within fiction, like Urban Fantasy or Dystopian Fantasy.

For intersections between adventure and fantasy, check out The Ranger's Apprentice series by Jonathan Flanagan (or any of his books really)
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

Wool by Hugh Howey is a good one that I've read recently. It's a dystopian type trilogy about people who live in a silo and they can't exit because the land is toxic. The book describes a whole other world that is immersive with a bold female protagonist who fights for the truth of why they are really there.
Donald A Axon
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-a-axon.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David

Post by Donald A Axon »

CaitlynLynch wrote:Adventure/fantasy AND sci-fi mixed together, try the Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green. In fact all his books are absolutely fantastic. I also recommend David Weber, John Ringo, Lois McMaster Bujold and in fact almost everyone who writes for Baen Press. In fact Baen have a ridiculously fabulous free library where they give away first-in-series books by just about all their authors - you can get Eric Flint's 1632, one of my all-time fave time-travel books, there, as well as amazing books by Tom Kratman, John Ringo, Timothy Zahn, David Drake, David Weber and more. I'll try and put the link below, but just in case the forum eats it, google "Baen Free Library"... and read your heart out!
Thanks for this it sounds awesome. I too loved the Deathstalker books. I've read them many times and they just keep getting better.
Latest Review: "The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

You should check out The Magi Charter series by Jordan David. I am totally hooked myself and on the third book already.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”