(suggestion?) The Woman in White X Crime and Punishment

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Victor Zuanazzi
Bookshelf Size: 0

(suggestion?) The Woman in White X Crime and Punishment

Post by Victor Zuanazzi »

Hey!! :D

I am a big fan of Arthur Conan Doyle and his Sherock Holmes series. Though I've wandering about the old mistery books, how they were conceived before the 19th century.

I have done my research and I've got to these two titles
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Please, if you've read one of them, tell me what you think. Also, if you know another title worth exploring, let me know :tiphat:

:techie-studyinggray:
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Well, Crime and Punishment is not really a mystery since the crime and the doer is known. Still a really good book though. The Woman in White was also good, but if I remember correctly it starts a bit dull, but definitely becomes a great mystery as it moves along. Another book I really liked was East Lynne by Ellen Wood. Not entirely a mystery, but has a good sub-plot with one. Besides that the only other book that comes to mind is Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe. If you can get through the first hundred pages it gets very interesting.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I had a difficult time with the Woman in White. I wasn't able to finish it. There is something about the author's writing I found dull and I was unable to get into it. Crime and Punishment I have read to completion and loved. Like the previous commenter said, it's not a traditional mystery because the story is told through the eyes of the murderer, Raskolnikov. The reader knows from the beginning he did it. It is a very interesting book. If you are interested in classic Russian literature, I recommend all of Dostoyevsky's work.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

If you're into mystery I wouldn't suggest Crime and Punishment, although it's worth reading.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

I loved The Women in White - it's supposed to be the first "Whodunit" I think. It's a long book but beautifully written and very suspenseful.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Steph K wrote: 02 May 2017, 14:49 Crime and Punishment I have read to completion and loved. Like the previous commenter said, it's not a traditional mystery because the story is told through the eyes of the murderer, Raskolnikov. The reader knows from the beginning he did it. It is a very interesting book. If you are interested in classic Russian literature, I recommend all of Dostoyevsky's work.
This is definitely not a crime story. This is the story of a guy who committed a double murder, and then admitted his crime. This is a psychological and philosophical prose, a book about bad conscience and regret.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I haven't read Woman in White, but I loved Crime and Punishment. It's less of a detective novel, though, as everyone has said, though that shouldn't stop you from reading!
A_Cole
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by A_Cole »

So, by now, I hope you know where you stand with Wilkie Collins and Dostoyevsky.)
Strangely enough no one mentioned Poe's Auguste Dupin as he was an inspiration for Holmes, Christie's Poirot AND a detective from "Crime and Punishment". Dupin is featured in "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" (which actually is the first modern detective story) and a couple of other stories.
Another famous character, a prototype for Holmes was Émile Gaboriau's Monsieur Lecoq, but I've never read him, so I can't say much about him.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

I haven't read "Crime and Punishment" yet. But I thoroughly enjoyed "The Woman in White."

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”