Horror Recommendations?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
ChocoCola
Currently Reading: Ask and It Is Given
Bookshelf Size: 5

Horror Recommendations?

Post by ChocoCola »

Throughout my entire life I have only read one horror story. The Dark Half by Stephen King and I admit that after reading it cover to cover I had trouble sleeping for a few nights. I do not do well with horror anything whether it be movies, tales, true stories but lately I've been craving a horror story. A really good one with suspense, gore and great detail so what do you guys suggest?
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

The Keep by F. Paul Wilson. Great book. You won't be disappointed. 8)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Esther137
Currently Reading: Demonspawn
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther137.html

Post by Esther137 »

I know you said Stephen King was the one that scared you, but hes my favourite when i comes to horror. I love 'Carrie.' Not too scary but definitely one to read :)
Ngalan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngalan.html

Post by Ngalan »

Oooh! Anything by John Saul or Bentley Little. Both are great!
SpookysBooks
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reading Device: B00746UVQG

Post by SpookysBooks »

The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone it just came out to by on the 5th of this month: I read an ARC copy of it and loved it.
book synopsis:An astonishingly inventive and terrifying debut novel about the emergence of an ancient species, dormant for over the thousand years, and now on the march.

Deep in the jungle of Peru, where so much remains unknown, a black, skittering mass devours an American tourist whole. Thousands of miles away, an FBI agent investigates a fatal plane crash in Minneapolis and makes a gruesome discovery. Unusual seismic patterns register in a Kanpur, India earthquake lab, confounding the scientists there. During the same week, the Chinese government “accidentally” drops a nuclear bomb in an isolated region of its own country. As these incidents begin to sweep the globe, a mysterious package from South America arrives at a Washington, D.C. laboratory. Something wants out.

The world is on the brink of an apocalyptic disaster. An ancient species, long dormant, is now very much awake.

-- 02 Aug 2016, 18:22 --

I would have to say that the 2 best horror books I read this year are : Dawn of the Spiders: Special Edition by Brian O'Gorman it about Brian O’Gorman’s international best seller returns uncut and extended. A virus designed to control the burgeoning spider population causes them to mutate into overgrown, venomous killers. A large hoard of the spiders take over the small village of Newtown, killing all but two of its residents. Laurence Johnson and Chloe Jones have only been together one night after Laurence parted ways with his wife. They find themselves trapped in the house with no way of escaping. Their only hope is to try and stay alive long enough for the army to intervene. Lorna Johnson is on the outskirts of town with nowhere to go and the spider invasion taking control. Her only hope of survival lies with a team headed up by Doctor Michael Briggs. He has a plan to stop the invasion before it gets out of hand. But he is running out of time and he is running out of allies. If he doesn't move quickly then mankind will face the darkest day it has ever known
and the 2nd one is : The Hatching: A Novel (The Hatching Series) by Ezekiel Boone it about: An astonishingly inventive and terrifying debut novel about the emergence of an ancient species, dormant for over a thousand years, and now on the march.

Deep in the jungle of Peru, where so much remains unknown, a black, skittering mass devours an American tourist whole. Thousands of miles away, an FBI agent investigates a fatal plane crash in Minneapolis and makes a gruesome discovery. Unusual seismic patterns register in a Kanpur, India earthquake lab, confounding the scientists there. During the same week, the Chinese government “accidentally” drops a nuclear bomb in an isolated region of its own country. As these incidents begin to sweep the globe, a mysterious package from South America arrives at a Washington, D.C. laboratory. Something wants out.

The world is on the brink of an apocalyptic disaster. An ancient species, long dormant, is now very much awake
Crystal P
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystal-p.html

Post by Crystal P »

I really enjoyed Carrie, as did the individual above. I have found that a lot of good horror is in horror anthologies these days. If you are looking for novels, the works of John Saul and Dean Koontz are similar to Stephen King and can provide you with some good stuff to read.
BobW
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BobW »

A great horror/sci-fi novella is Harvest Festival by Karl Drinkwater. So engaging, I had trouble putting it down. A quick read, but very enjoyable.
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Dean Koontz

(Early books)

?
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
jonesmmichelle1
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesmmichelle1.html

Post by jonesmmichelle1 »

I find the best horror books are those written about the encounters and cases of Ed and Lorraine Warren.
kellytjtay
Currently Reading: Survival Instinct
Bookshelf Size: 325
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellytjtay.html
Reading Device: B07K2HBB1H

Post by kellytjtay »

If ghosts count as horror, I believe that Apryl Baker's The Ghost Files set was wonderful. I couldn't stop reading until I had finished them off. Afterwards, I was so disappointed that it was over that it took me a few days to regroup myself and find the next title I decided to read. I totally enjoyed that set of ghostly books.
Sharon_Dsouza
Currently Reading: The grave tattoo
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-dsouza.html

Post by Sharon_Dsouza »

Small Hands by Susan Hill is a good book in the horror genre. She really manages to transport you to the English country side and make you feel the protagonists fear. She also wrote the woman in black.
The story is about a man who visits a childhood spot and starts experiencing the presence of a small hand trying to drag him to his death.
cyndibookswagbag
Favorite Author: Gena Showalter
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3591

Post by cyndibookswagbag »

Tim miller, Eric Asher both write horror. They are on my tbr list and have heard really good things about them.
princess-bookworm
Currently Reading: Infidel
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princess-bookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by princess-bookworm »

It doesn't have the gore you were searching for, BUT, if you like ghost stories, a hidden gem I found was Though I Walk Through The Valley by June Cornelison. It's a super suspenseful, creepy ghost story! Doesn't disappoint!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
mrsdeg1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsdeg1983.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mrsdeg1983 »

Ghost files
konnapap
Currently Reading: ethan frome
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-konnapap.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by konnapap »

Pet Sematary by Stephen King. It's one of the scariest books I've ever read!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”