Royalty Based Historical Non-Fiction

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
VoluptuousVocabulary
Bookshelf Size: 0

Royalty Based Historical Non-Fiction

Post by VoluptuousVocabulary »

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for some non-fiction about Ruling relationships; preferably between the Husband and Wife. My request isn't exclusive to regions or time periods but more accuracy and depth of documentation.

Specifically I'm interested in the dynamics between a ruler and their spouse.

Thanks!
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

Hello,

I would recommend "Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire" by Julia Baird. I think is exactly what you are looking for
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
VoluptuousVocabulary

Post by VoluptuousVocabulary »

Yes that looks good, I'll start with it. However I'm still looking for books that more specifically target the relationship dynamics between a ruler and spouse.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I don't know that you'll find too much non-fiction in this category simply because royalty are notoriously very private. If you're willing to widen out a bit to 'faction' books - fiction with a basis in fact - then I'd suggest Philippa Gregory (you've probably heard of The Other Boleyn Girl, but she's written loads more) and my personal favourite, Sharon Kay Penman. Penman's Princes Of Wales trilogy are some of my all-time favourite reads.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

"The Six Wives of Henry VIII" by David Starkey goes into depth about his relationships with each of his wives. For your interest in the ruling relationship, I'd say the Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn sections would be of the most interest, especially the former.

I've never read a book about them but I would suggest looking for one about Ferdinand and Isabella. They had a unique ruling relationship for their time. They were very much partners and both monarchs in their own right.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Try the book Wolf Hall. It centres around the life of Henry VIII and focusses on the life of Thomas Cromwell.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

It has been some years since I read it, but "Nicholas and Alexandria" was a good read. Robert K. Massie is the author.

"Ferdinand and Isabella" explores their relationship.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”