Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
countrychick86
Bookshelf Size: 14

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by countrychick86 »

I would rather read the book first. It's the original story from the author. Sometimes there can be a big difference in between the book and the movie. A lot of times they cut out parts or change things from the way the book was written. I have found that I usually prefer the book over the movie.
mehmetakkoch
Currently Reading: Dark Healer
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by mehmetakkoch »

It is always a hotly debated issue, however, it is clear that the areas, i.e. cinema and book, are absolutely different from each other. In the beginning, it is important not be confused. That is why books help us to create the world according to a book what gives us. On the other hand, a movie is created by imagination, sound, setting, acting, and fiction, etc. , which it fills your all void about any imagination. You are not much free as in a book but limited to the screen of the movie. Thus, we have to choose which one is better for us. Then, we can decide what will happen. In the imagination era, we have been forced to watch many movies which have been adapted from books. To conclude, to me, we, book lovers, firstly should read a book, then it would be better to watch its movie...
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

I have always prefer to read the book first. However once I saw Howl's Moving Castle and I found the book and read it. I found for me it doesn't really matters what came first. (Chicken and the egg idea). I thoroughly loved both but I always recommend treating books and movies as separate entities.
Rattusv
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rattusv »

Depends on the family. If they want to see the movie before I read the book, then that's what happens.
If it was my call, book first.
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

I read the book first. I find once I have read a book a bad job on the movie would just ruin it for me. If I watched the movie first I would no longer want to read the book. I personally cannot stand it when someone tells me the ending of a book that I am reading and it puts me off. However, I don't care of someone tells me the ending of a movie. Therefore, reading the book first is better.
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I would like to read the book first. I think it has more detail than the movie will have because they only have so much they can film in a short period of time. I have read plenty of books that have turned into movies and some things are different. A few movies I have watched have disappointed me because whole scenes would be missing out the book and it could possibly be a crucial one to the storyline and then I feel let down.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html

Post by Chitopogi »

For me, it is Book first before the Movie. Usually the producers are reading the book at the same time with me. Then they will make the movie. This protocol makes me want to watch the movie more.
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

If I get to have a choice, I mean, if I'm aware that there's a book and its movie adaptation and I haven't read or watched it yet, I would automatically go for books first. No doubt about it. I think it has a lot to do with why I enjoy reading (in this case, fiction)---to escape reality for a while and let my imagination work. Not a movie person, probably because, to me, movies don't allow enough time to imagine.
hazelk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hazelk »

Always book first.
katiestardis
Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 336

Post by katiestardis »

Unfortunately, it depends on the series for me. Oftentimes, I end up watching the first movie of a book series, then read the whole thing. I find that when there are major discrepancies between the book and movie, I have to judge the movie as a completely separate entity.
Emma RW Dickson
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Emma RW Dickson »

When I can, I read the book first. However, I've found that if I read the book prior to watching the movie I usually really enjoy the book but not the movie (for example, like I did with Girl on the Train). Whereas when I read the book after watching the movie/show I still really like the movie but also really like the book (like I did with the Game of Thrones series). So maybe for the most enjoyment I should just accept reading the book second!
milyjohnson
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by milyjohnson »

I have seen movies and then read the books afterwards. I haven't seen too many that were the other way around. When I see the movie first I picture the actors/actresses in my mind when I think of the characters.
Beautyandtheblog
Currently Reading: The Silence of the Lambs
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautyandtheblog.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Beautyandtheblog »

Movie first as much as possible. I used to prefer reading the book first, but then I get into the problem of picturing the characters in my head and then I'm disappointed when the movie comes out because the characters are usually not as I pictured them. It sort of ruins the experience of the film for me. At least if I see the movie first, I can choose to picture the characters as I saw them or give them a new face.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
interrupted_girl
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by interrupted_girl »

Book first please! Other than 'The Hours', I have not yet seen a movie adaptation that was good. Latest bad one was Fifty shades of Grey! Just didn't do justice to the book series. I ALWAYS prefer book!
Thank you?
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

It depends on my mood,
if the movie is already out I would watch and if I hear a lot of disagreements, I would rather not read.
Expectations vs. reality

Return to “Films and Books”