Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
ashpop2110
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by ashpop2110 »

I would choose book first because movie just takes 2 hrs to finish but while reading a book the build up over the time takes place
MarinaY
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the sorcer's stone
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by MarinaY »

Book first definitely, you get to see all the little details that might not make it into the film and get more attacked to the characters so when you watch the movie you're more excited.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Definitely the movie first, unless it's been at least two years since I've read the book. I've been disappointed too many times by reading the book first, loving it, and then having Hollywood destroy it or water it down into unrecognizability. I have a Goodreads shelf for movies that are better than the book, and it has a whole 7 books in it.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Bellabea
Currently Reading: Bard's Exile
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Bellabea »

Personally I prefer reading books and then watching movie, I read the book first in order to check if there is any adaptation to the film. I read books first and then buy the movie tickets..
Lyday
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lyday »

I always prefer to read the book first. The book is always better than the movie after all (my opinion), a good example is the Jason Bourne series.
Masinde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masinde.html

Post by Masinde »

I will have to read the Book first and then watch the movie based on the book.While Reading the book,a number of suspense will arise and therefore develop the urge to see its movie to fill-up what i didn't get.
CianaStone

Post by CianaStone »

I tend to read the book first and then drive my husband insane pointing out how someone left out soooo many good parts in the movie.
Marie1121

Post by Marie1121 »

I prefer to read the book first. I feel they leave a lot of details out that are in the books when creating the movie. When you are watching the movie you kinda just assume or guess certain backgrounds or backstories where as in the books they are described in detail, this I feel is especially true in series or sagas, such as Harry potter, twilight, v.c. Andrews etc. Also your imagination lets you bring the character alive how you invision them where is in the movie you watch who the creators pick.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

Book first! Always! A movie can be great, but it's just not the same.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Bellabea
Currently Reading: Bard's Exile
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Bellabea »

Who wants to be understanding the drama of a book first? If you do so...then do not read at all! That is why books are for..to keep you in a misterious mind moment that only you can clear up by reading it!...Watching the film first will not let you do that...
sshanmo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sshanmo.html

Post by sshanmo »

I have done both. I prefer to read the book first then see the movie. That way I will already have knowledge f what the movie should be about and see how closely it will follow the book.
Maricris
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maricris.html

Post by Maricris »

I prefer books first and movie some of movies actually do not include everything what happen from the book movies sometimes
They edited it.
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Aloha,

Read the book first. Compare and contrast.

Blessings
?
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

For me it has to be book first if I can. I just like to compare the movie as a secondary thing!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Theophilus Asare

Post by Theophilus Asare »

I will love to read a book first and when I enjoy the story I desperately request look for the movie to watch.

Return to “Films and Books”