Do you follow any television shows?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

^ I know, it never seems to age and the show is so off-the-wall in the way the plots can go off on a wild tangent of Peter fighting a chicken or God having an argument with Jesus, you never know what to expect, and they delight in showing up the celebrities.. :lol:
You only live once.....so live!
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

StephenKingman wrote:^ I know, it never seems to age and the show is so off-the-wall in the way the plots can go off on a wild tangent of Peter fighting a chicken or God having an argument with Jesus, you never know what to expect, and they delight in showing up the celebrities.. :lol:
LOL.. I love the chicken fight scenes, especially the one where they stop mid fight and ask what they were originally fighting about. Classic!
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Tralala
Favorite Author: Hubert Selby Jr.
Favorite Book: Retro Hell
fav_author_id: 2789

Post by Tralala »

Tip the Bottle wrote:
Tralala wrote: I think I've got Early Onset Nostalgia Syndrome, or something. I keep remembering all this useless (and usually dumb) stuff from when I was a kid. Like Battle of the Network Stars and the $1.98 Beauty Show and heshers and New Coke and Lidsville and how everyone knew somebody whose cousin's friend had ridden on a bike that way and cracked their head open....
My dear I believe we are kindred spirits I remember Battle of the Network stars and the 1.98 beauty pagent as well. Battle always had Gil Gerard from Buck Rogers on it and people from Falcon Crest. The funniest thing about those shows were the hot pants the men would wear on that show. Wow I was just hit with the nostalgia brick.
Isn't it a wonder, how we survived without helmets and knee/elbow pads and airbags and carseats? In a few years, we'll just cover kids in bubble wrap.
On Family Guy...my ex lets our son watch that show. In his (my son's) first year of confirmation class (when he was 12), he was supposed to write about something for which he was grateful. He said he was grateful that he wasn't a prom night dumpster baby. Yeah. In his confirmation journal.
How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

Tralala wrote:
Tip the Bottle wrote:
Tralala wrote: I think I've got Early Onset Nostalgia Syndrome, or something. I keep remembering all this useless (and usually dumb) stuff from when I was a kid. Like Battle of the Network Stars and the $1.98 Beauty Show and heshers and New Coke and Lidsville and how everyone knew somebody whose cousin's friend had ridden on a bike that way and cracked their head open....
My dear I believe we are kindred spirits I remember Battle of the Network stars and the 1.98 beauty pagent as well. Battle always had Gil Gerard from Buck Rogers on it and people from Falcon Crest. The funniest thing about those shows were the hot pants the men would wear on that show. Wow I was just hit with the nostalgia brick.
Isn't it a wonder, how we survived without helmets and knee/elbow pads and airbags and carseats? In a few years, we'll just cover kids in bubble wrap.
On Family Guy...my ex lets our son watch that show. In his (my son's) first year of confirmation class (when he was 12), he was supposed to write about something for which he was grateful. He said he was grateful that he wasn't a prom night dumpster baby. Yeah. In his confirmation journal.
That is too funny! :lol:
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Mairin wrote:
Tralala wrote:
Tip the Bottle wrote: My dear I believe we are kindred spirits I remember Battle of the Network stars and the 1.98 beauty pagent as well. Battle always had Gil Gerard from Buck Rogers on it and people from Falcon Crest. The funniest thing about those shows were the hot pants the men would wear on that show. Wow I was just hit with the nostalgia brick.
Bet the PTA meeting was interesting!
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Tralala

Post by Tralala »

Mairin wrote:
I can't laugh at it, though I probably would if it was somebody else's kid. I can't imagine what the pastor thought...
'Course, I was one of the only single mothers in the church, so I got the fish eye all the time, anyway.
Britt.britt

Post by Britt.britt »

Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Jersey Shore hahah and Teen Mom (Im an 18 year old girl, im allowed :D ) And I use to follow Dr. WHO but I don't like the new Doctor. I miss David Tennant. I use to be a big NCIS and CSI fan as well. And I also follow Top Gear the British and American. And Pawn Stars as well.
Tralala

Post by Tralala »

Fran wrote:
Bet the PTA meeting was interesting!
That's a whole 'nother story. Jeannie C. Riley's got nothing on me! I actually met her once.
I watched one of those court shows today, and will consequently be in a foul mood for a while.
That Book Nerd

Post by That Book Nerd »

I still follow The Office, but not as much as I used to. And, I love The Walking Dead.

If DVD sets count, I am absolutely in love with Northern Exposure.
Christina2

Post by Christina2 »

I follow House, Lie To Me, Harry's Law, NCIS, The Middle, My Dad Said @#$%, Supernatural and Rescue Me when it returns.

On cable I watch Weeds, Big Love, and Dexter.

I thought Tudors was ok but I loved Rome and wished it was never cancelled.

I'm looking forward to The Borgias (I think its called) and The Game of Thrones.

I can't stand those "reality shows".
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

Christina2 wrote:I follow House, Lie To Me, Harry's Law, NCIS, The Middle, My Dad Said @#$%, Supernatural and Rescue Me when it returns.

On cable I watch Weeds, Big Love, and Dexter.

I thought Tudors was ok but I loved Rome and wished it was never cancelled.

I'm looking forward to The Borgias (I think its called) and The Game of Thrones.

I can't stand those "reality shows".
The Cable companies are making some of the best television shows now. I'm really anticipating A Game of Thrones I've read the book and they were quite good. Also looking forward to a new season of Breaking Bad.
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
Tralala

Post by Tralala »

Okay. I did it. I watched Jersey Shore. And OMG! It's, like, so AWESOME!!!!! Will Snooki take her clothes off, like, again? Will JWoww and Pauly D really (like, really) hook up?? Did whatserface really leave???
Yeah, I don't get it. Is this supposed to be funny? I just....I don't get it. So if you're a stupid spoiled brat you get to be famous? Is that the message here? And how old is The Situation? 50?
Is this a voyeurism thing? Or...I dunno. Does it get better? 'Cause I only watched the first two.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Tralala wrote:Okay. I did it. I watched Jersey Shore. And OMG! It's, like, so AWESOME!!!!! Will Snooki take her clothes off, like, again? Will JWoww and Pauly D really (like, really) hook up?? Did whatserface really leave???
Yeah, I don't get it. Is this supposed to be funny? I just....I don't get it. So if you're a stupid spoiled brat you get to be famous? Is that the message here? And how old is The Situation? 50?
Is this a voyeurism thing? Or...I dunno. Does it get better? 'Cause I only watched the first two.
You mean you didnt like it, you are, like, SO not cool and a total douche. I also cant stand those Jersey Shore, The Hills etc shows, they seem to be nothing more than a platform for deluded, highly unpleasant and spoilt rich kids to bleat about...well, nothing really. As apolitical and apathetic as they come, these tanned morons spend their days checking themselves out in the mirror, having plastic surgery done on every part of their bodies and generally taking complete nonsense about the latest mundane happenings in the relationships of their mate Heidi/Spencer/Kooky/Situation etc (delete as applicable) or the best nightclub to have their 21st birthday party.

None of them seem to have jobs and they genuinely consider themselves famous and celebrated by mere fact of their existence and not any achievements or talents! And the sad fact is that someone out there must like and watch these shows or else they would not be greenlighted so thats a whole generation of young people who tune in to and look up to a bunch of nobodies as their role models, thats actually quite sad really..
You only live once.....so live!
Hikkomijian

Post by Hikkomijian »

Not really. But recently I re-watch "Heroes". It's the show from NBC about people with extraordinary abilities.
Occasionally I watch "Married with Children" and sometimes I can watch "The world according to Kiepscy" and "Honey years", which are being aired in my country.
Tralala

Post by Tralala »

StephenKingman wrote:
Tralala wrote:Okay. I did it. I watched Jersey Shore. And OMG! It's, like, so AWESOME!!!!! Will Snooki take her clothes off, like, again? Will JWoww and Pauly D really (like, really) hook up?? Did whatserface really leave???
You mean you didnt like it, you are, like, SO not cool and a total douche. I also cant stand those Jersey Shore, The Hills etc shows, they seem to be nothing more than a platform for deluded, highly unpleasant and spoilt rich kids to bleat about...well, nothing really. As apolitical and apathetic as they come, these tanned morons spend their days checking themselves out in the mirror, having plastic surgery done on every part of their bodies and generally taking complete nonsense about the latest mundane happenings in the relationships of their mate Heidi/Spencer/Kooky/Situation etc (delete as applicable) or the best nightclub to have their 21st birthday party.

None of them seem to have jobs and they genuinely consider themselves famous and celebrated by mere fact of their existence and not any achievements or talents! And the sad fact is that someone out there must like and watch these shows or else they would not be greenlighted so thats a whole generation of young people who tune in to and look up to a bunch of nobodies as their role models, thats actually quite sad really..
Thank goodness, my kids hate those shows (whew!)(knock wood). My daughter loves SNL, though, and every time she sees Bobby Moynihan as Snooki, she has to eat an orange. That sounds like a joke, but it's true. She gets a craving.
I dunno, don't they serve more as "don't do this stupid crap" examples?

Return to “Films and Books”