What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

Well you know, I'm not a big fan of going by what others say because I have a different opinion on what's good than them. So I say go for it! At least you'll have sated your curiosity.
( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ♥ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )
Ginardic

Post by Ginardic »

I last watched the Painted Veil. I mostly watch movies alone as i can't seem to find anyone who shares my passion for really dramactic movies. I love the way Edward Norton plays the part of the doctor. He is such an under rated actor. naomi Watts was also good. I love the scenery, the romanticism of the time too!
Stinkin' Fascist

That's on my to watch list!
I love Edward Norton.

I just recently watched Devil, then The Towne, and yesterday Resident Evil: Afterlife and have to say I was quite pleased with all of them except The Towne.
I didn't feel there was enough action for all of the commotion about it and well, I'm not a big Ben Affleck fan to begin with... I just didn't like some of the corny lines used too.
Devil was supposed to be scary, but I laughed when people were freaking out... That's just how I am. I did enjoy it lots though.
And well, I don't know much further they plan to run with Resident Evil's storyline, but I did enjoy it and especially the effects.
Next in theaters... Easy A I believe.

At home, today I watched Suspect Zero, which focuses on a FBI agent tracking a serial killer who happens to be an ex FBI agent killing serial killers... I loved the psychology of it though. Probably due in part that I'm a big thriller and mystery fan, as well as anything psychological...

The Itty Bitty Titty Committee, which though it sounds fairly inappropriate was great. It focused on a women's rights activist group but also on the hardships of LGBT. Very amusing though, especially the... Phallic explosion at the end, hahaha. I say no more...

And lastly, Amelie, great movie! If you don't mind reading subtitles since it's in French, unless you speak French...
I loved the character's quirkiness and in fact she kind of reminded me of myself in a few aspects. Definitely amusing and a light mood, and it did spotlight the country a bit in an unintended way as well as showing what kind acts can do in your life.

I suggest He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not though. Also in French and the same actress as the previous movie (Audrey Tautou), but sort of confusing and amusing at once haha.

Enjoy such movies, I know I do!
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Stinkin' Fascist wrote: I just recently watched Devil, then The Towne, and yesterday Resident Evil: Afterlife and have to say I was quite pleased with all of them except The Towne.
I saw those movies recently, too. i did enjoy The Town, it was gritty and realistic and well acted (except Pete Postleweite, usually so menacing, a bit sub-standard here). I really enjoyed Devil as it was not too taxing on the brain-not fantastic, not terrible just 90 mins of fun.

As for Afterlife, well.......the effects were good i suppose :roll:
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Watched Precious on DVD last week & I'm still in shock. Amazing movie & very disturbing especially as I gather it's based on a true story.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:Watched Precious on DVD last week & I'm still in shock. Amazing movie & very disturbing especially as I gather it's based on a true story.
Yep, i agree, an excellent and powerful movie with Monique playing the bitter welfare mother so well. And its a real gritty portrayal of poverty and abuse, check out the book if you can as well- also excellent. :D
Stinkin' Fascist

Yeah the effects of Resident Evil were good, but really how much longer can that story go?
I honestly want it to end already. Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Resident Evil: Extinction, Resident Evil: Afterlife...
What more can they come up with? Resurrection?
I liked it better when they were in the cities and stuff instead of this flying around the world balogna... Though the bathroom scene when that giant zombie broke all of the water pipes, that was pretty dang cool.

I keep meaning to watch Precious, and everyone around here is all "eww, who cares? It's just a story about a fat black girl..."
They're so annoying.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Stinkin' Fascist wrote:Yeah the effects of Resident Evil were good, but really how much longer can that story go?
I honestly want it to end already. Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Resident Evil: Extinction, Resident Evil: Afterlife...
What more can they come up with? Resurrection?
I liked it better when they were in the cities and stuff instead of this flying around the world balogna... Though the bathroom scene when that giant zombie broke all of the water pipes, that was pretty dang cool.
I hate all the RE films as they are nothing like the games at all, they just threw in a few Hollywood faces, edited the script a bit, threw in a few effects and passed it off as a movie. They should have just stuck to the plot from the game series and get actors/actresses who resembled the characters i.e. a movie about the Umbrella mansion in the first game, the police station in the second etc. The movies are complete crap to be honest and the only reason i went to Afterlife is because i was going along with a mate on his birthday, but i do agree that the big Hooded dude was very cool, especially in 3D. Its time to turn the lights out on this series though.....Wesker and all his red-eyed corniness has just
confirmed that.

Stinkin' Fascist wrote: I keep meaning to watch Precious, and everyone around here is all "eww, who cares? It's just a story about a fat black girl..."
They're so annoying.
Sigh....maybe one day they will grow up. Precious is certainly not your mainstream Hollywood movie and will never attract the crowds the way a white actor who plays a sexy vampire will, but give it a chance and you may love it. Personally i found both the book and move a great tribute to the human spirit and endurance. :D
Stinkin' Fascist

Well yeah, but nowadays directors and well Hollywood in general ever stay true to original story lines of games or comics.
It's a sad thing that we should be used to by now, but aren't quite...
Have you seen and played Silent Hill?
I didn't think that one was too bad.

Yeah, I'm still going to rent it at some point, I look forward to it. Most of these people just don't like watching movies that call attention to important issues.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

(500) Days of Summer.... i love that movie!!!
:D

And the new Nightmare on Elm Street... (sigh) not worth it in my opinion.
Why mess with the classics? They were perfectly fine when Robert Englund was Freddy... it was better.. J.E. Haley just ruined it for me.
I give up on trying to find a good new scary. Im just going to sit back and watch the true oldies... like Creature from the Black Lagoon. CLASSIC! :D
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Stinkin' Fascist

500 Days of Summer is awesome!
I like Zooey Deschanel haha, she's purty.

I completely agree!
These renditions are just... Ridiculous!!!

Haha, I love that movie!!!

The romance in the older ones are just so much better too, even if it is a horror movie.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

laci_baby wrote: And the new Nightmare on Elm Street... (sigh) not worth it in my opinion.
Why mess with the classics? They were perfectly fine when Robert Englund was Freddy... it was better.. J.E. Haley just ruined it for me.
Yeah, saw that this year at the cinema, a very weak imitation of the classic, and the whole inclusion of the backstory as Freddy as a child molester just felt tacked-on, plus none of the main characters were especially appealing. Why ruin a classic? Look around you, a good 50% of new movies are either remakes of classics or else remakes of crap films with weak scripts and forgettable performances! Hollywood has officially run out of steam.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

'Before Night Falls' about the life of Cuban poet Reinaldo Arenas following the revolution. Mostly subtitled and IMO very confusing and overly obsessed with homosexuality.
I know this film got great reviews but honestly it almost sent me to sleep & by the end of it I didn't feel I knew anything about the man other than his pretty active sex life.
Not a film I would recommend but maybe that's just me.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

Thats true SKm.. they are going down hill... but i think it's more 70%... atleast for me it is. Every once in a while you can find a good solid film, but most of them, for me anyway, is duds. Especially the newer "horror" films.

Just watched The Air I Breathe.
And no matter how many times i see this movie, though the acting is rather crappy, i will love it.
Love me some Brendon Fraser.
Not necessarily an attractie man, but he always catches my attention, no matter what he's in.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Stinkin' Fascist

Haha, oddly, I agree on the Brendon Frasier thing.

I was watching The Opposite of Sex, I was dying out on that thing... Ugh.

Return to “Films and Books”