The boy in the striped pyjamas

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Maarifa_Nzuri13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

The boy in the striped pyjamas

Post by Maarifa_Nzuri13 »

:shock2: I never wanted to read the book lets just put this out there and I never wanted to watch the movie. It just never got my attention but when you're pregnant and just going through Netflix feelings change. I watched the movie twice before and after baby just to be sure and I still got the same reaction as I had before. I will filter it due to controversial opinions but lets just say that I had to go and read the book right behind it just to fill in a void. I did enjoy the movie in a sad sort of way If I'm not mistaken this book is based on a true story. Now being a person who has gotten to meet a women from the holocaust who managed to escape when I was younger it really hit a soft spot. When I remember the things she told my class. But back to the book and movie if you want to be in your emotions this is definitely the book or movie to read or watch I felt that started a domino effect to fight against the issues that were taken place as if it may have opened up a new insight.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I was literally shaking after watching it for the first time. It was not what I was expecting, but you're right. It's good in a sad sort of way. I haven't been able to bring myself to read the book yet.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I watched this movie and wasn't overly impressed. It was very slow until the end. I think I would have enjoyed the book better, but oh well. This author has written other books I enjoyed tremendously.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I definitely want to read the book. The movie has always been on my list, for years, but I can't bring myself to watch it. :cry:
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

The book and the movie bother broke my heart, but the book was absolutely gutting. The author does an excellent job making it very clear we're seeing everything from the perspective of a young child. The movie doesn't completely show that but oh god, the book does. It's so so sad.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

I haven't read the book but I have watched the movie and went into it sort of blindly. I was enjoying every moment of it until the end. The ending was really sad and it threw me off guard. It was a very good movie though and I must have watched it at least three times already.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I have been avoiding both the book and the film because I just know I would be a blubbering mess. Holocaust stories always stay with me long after witnessing them.
boardj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boardj.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by boardj »

Gosh I remember reading this book in the 8th grade! I absolutely loved it! I also remember after my 8th-grade class read the book, my teacher decided to show us the movie and everyone cried. Some of us had to excuse ourselves and If I remember correctly someone started passing around a tissue box haha!
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I cried for hours after watching the ending. But, it shows the reality of the darkest chapter in human history.
Clairelw69
Favorite Author: Tara Brown
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 16089

Post by Clairelw69 »

I read the book while pregnant and hormonal so I refuse to watch the film ever!
hazelk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hazelk »

I found the book very moving, especially the ending. I have seen the movie, so close to the book, however it was impossible to capture the ending as the book was written.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I haven't seen the whole movie, but we watched the ending when we were reading another book about the Holocaust, The Book Thief, in my English class. It had such a strong impact. I've always wanted to read the book ever since.
Sunset2535
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sunset2535 »

The ending shows the dark but truthful chapters of history. A blossom of friendship, and reality.
Overall the both movies and books can bring out your emotions. I would recommend the book. :wink:
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

whoah, I just clicked on this post thinking it was about a children's book or movie, did not expect such intensity. I'll check it out later today.

Return to “Films and Books”