My review on Fault In our Stars book/Movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Maarifa_Nzuri13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

My review on Fault In our Stars book/Movie

Post by Maarifa_Nzuri13 »

I fell in love with every character there were no favorites. It was one of my favorite reads since it came out and is a book worthy of buying because it hits all emotional palates. If you are dealing with a similar situation health wise my positive energy goes out to you and this book may help you cope with the way things are. The best part about this book is everything is so pure and natural even down to the responses to life. It becomes so easy to embrace their journey and ends without you feeling empty. FIOS has exactly what you may need from love, understanding, physical war, humor, sarcasm, it's all there ready for you to laugh, cry or do whatever you need to when reading this heartfelt book. I didn't know how I was going to feel about the movie but I was very surprised how they didn't skip a beat. I'm one of those people who has to see the movie to make sure it adds up with the book or hitting important parts at the least. :shock2: :techie-studyinggray:
One thing is for certain and that is you can take a big swig of your mug of tea and take a deep breath at life and comprehend how things play out better from reading and watching the movie if you look at it from a different perception; personally I cried I love light simple romance stories that aren't overly mushy but you still feel everything and I'm a bigger sucker on books that can incorporate conversations I can actually see taking place I really think this book ends well although you may definitely shed some tears which I definitely had no problem doing. No worries about wanting more from the story only wanting more books by John Green. :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Lolly4532
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolly4532.html

Post by Lolly4532 »

The book and the movie hit all my feels. Not going to lie, I pretty much ugly cried all through the last fifty pages or so of the book. I loved that everything wasn't wrapped up in pretty happy-ending bows, and the characters were real and gritty and they weren't full of cliches and false platitudes. The characters were relateable and honest and so real. It was definitely an intense read, but so worth it! :D
Maarifa_Nzuri13
Currently Reading:

Post by Maarifa_Nzuri13 »

Definitely recommend any books if you find something as good or better!
Lolly4532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolly4532.html

Post by Lolly4532 »

Will do!!
SqueakyWilliams
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-squeakywilliams.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SqueakyWilliams »

YES to BOTH! I actually saw the movie first and then got to read the book. You wind up laughing, crying and, in my case, texting your Mom just to say I love you. I enjoy a good happy ending, but that isn't how life always is; and these definitely delivered that.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I've only seen the Fault in our Stars movie, so I don't know how it compares to the book. Paper Towns is the only John Green book I've read and the movie adaptation had some significant changes towards the end. But back to FOIS, I can't ever remember portrayals of cancer kids/teens negatively affecting me, or feeling that the film/book "appropriated" my pain, or something like that. Never. Until I saw the movie. I can't even put my finger on what exactly it was that annoyed me so much about it, but there's just something very Hallmark for the YouTube age about John Green's stories. Quirky, know-it-all teens from upper middle class suburbia is not exactly my version of reality.
danii906
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by danii906 »

I'm not usually one to watch cancer movies but with all the hype about this I just had to read the book and watch the movie. I have never cried so much while reading a book than I did in this one. I had to stop at some parts because my eyes were watering so much I couldnt see the words. I love everythign about this book and movie.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I read the book but did not see the movie. To be honest it wasn't one of my favorite books, which is why I didn't see the movie. I don't find John Greene to be a very exciting author, but that is just my opinion.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Cinnamon-Paige
Currently Reading: the little friend
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinnamon-paige.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Cinnamon-Paige »

This is one instance where I felt the movie really lived up to the book in terms emotions. I read it when I was going through a particularly difficult time in my life. I have high functioning anxiety and for some reason I could really relate to Hazel-Grace. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things." is a quote that will always stay with me.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Jainalina

Post by Jainalina »

I've read the book and watched the movie and both has made me very emotional. To be honest, I didn't know anything about its content before I read the book, and hence it was much more intense than I expected. The actors too has done a very good job in portraying the characters Hazel and Augustus .Towards the end I cried my eyes out and it made me realise that not all stories has a good ending and that is how real life works.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

For some reason I thought that the faults in our stars was no good but your post changed my mind. I'll go and watch the trailer to the movie now and try to readjust my view on it.

-- 02 Jun 2017, 19:53 --

Just watched the trailer - looks like an emotional thrill ride that I should have watched 3 years ago. thanks.
Megan Old
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by Megan Old »

At first, I thought the book was a bit pretentious. And that Gus was hilariously dumb for putting a cigarette stick on his mouth to prove a point to everybody. But the ending was nice and the way it was narrated was beautiful
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I have watched the movie twice and loved it. It made me cry at the end :)

-- 07 Jul 2017, 00:50 --

I have watched the movie twice and loved it. It made me cry at the end :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Folakemary

Post by Folakemary »

i love the book. it is one of my absolute favorites. however, it has a sadistic ending and I am not quite a big fan of sad endings but I will recommend this book to anyone who wants to read about making the most of life right now rather than later regardless of how scared they are of the situation or disease in this case that acts as a setback to the.
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Maria joraimah »

This book touched me as well as the movie. It made us see that as long as we breathe, we should not lose hope. That even at the lowest point of life when we thought there is nothing more in store for us, we can still find happiness. All we have to do is give it a chance. Savor the beauty of living because every moment of it is a GIFT.
" HAPPINESS is finding PEACE within yourself! " :D

Return to “Films and Books”