Beautiful Creatures

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
atina_abd
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atina-abd.html

Beautiful Creatures

Post by atina_abd »

Hello there everybody, how are you guys today?

Have you guys watched the movie Beautiful Creatures? It is based on a book series by Kami Garcia. I've watched the movie and to keep it real, it was terrible :oops:

The pace was too fast, and the relationship was pretty much 'insta-love'-ish and the characters were kind of just mehh. If you've read the books, how do you feel about them?
Maarifa_Nzuri13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Maarifa_Nzuri13 »

I seriously was about to write about this until I looked under my last forum and seen that you have and I totally agree I have read all the series except the last book which I can not find but the movie does not do these books any justice. It was like they just needed to put out a film they definitely did not take their time on this movie.
sbradford411
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sbradford411 »

I was so disappointed by the movie version. Most of the actors I have seen in other movies, so I know they are great actors. I just feel it was produced poorly. Like you said, it was paced too fast.

Just a random thought. The Mortal Instrument movie was close to being terrible as well. They ended up redoing the movie as the show Shadowhunters, which is decent. Do you think Beautiful Creatures would do well as a TV show?
Victoria Hatzson

Post by Victoria Hatzson »

I stopped the movie in the middle and never watched it again! I HAD EXPECTATIONS and it failed me miserably!! I never stop a movie but this one got so boring! I didn't like the actors, the characters, it was kinda cliche and the dialogues were super boring i could have written better ones myself! Would never suggest it! Such a slow movie with such little action and not driven characters
BrandyBeaudin
Currently Reading: unEnchanted (An unfortunate tale)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandybeaudin.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BrandyBeaudin »

I agree they could have done so much better and brought a depth to the characters and their romance not make it just some ish... thing! Some books are better as just books!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I read all the books in the series and I really liked them so I was excited when I heard they were making a movie. I liked the trailer, but as everyone else said... I was incredibly disappointed with the movie. I agree that the pace was too fast, and the characters were cringe-worthy, I couldn't even make it through the whole movie before I had to turn it off.
ollesternberg

Post by ollesternberg »

When newcomer Lena Duchannes arrives in the small town of Gatlin she quickly captures the attention of Ethan Wate, who only wants to escape what he views as a boring and dead end town. He quickly gets more than he bargained for, as Lena possesses strange powers that have long kept her at a distance from others in her life.

Lena and Ethan are drawn together, but their budding romance is threatened by the dangers posed by Lena's being a Caster and her family's Dark powers, for upon her sixteenth birthday Lena must undergo the Claiming, a process that will decide her fate forever: Light or Dark.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

atina_abd wrote:Hello there everybody, how are you guys today?

Have you guys watched the movie Beautiful Creatures? It is based on a book series by Kami Garcia. I've watched the movie and to keep it real, it was terrible :oops:

The pace was too fast, and the relationship was pretty much 'insta-love'-ish and the characters were kind of just mehh. If you've read the books, how do you feel about them?
Haven't seen it, but the insta-love thing worries me. It happens a lot and really detracts.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Beautiful Creatures was not a good movie at all. The plot was hurried and I felt no connection between the main character and her love interst. This just serves as an example of a popular book being turned into an awful movie!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
wroteyou

Post by wroteyou »

was disappointed by the films :(
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

only watched it, I didn't even know there really is a book until now. but really, the movie is not that impressive.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I read the book and watched the movie, and I didn't really care for either one. As you said, the movie was too quick, and just really weird. The book was just as strange to me.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
HT7
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by HT7 »

I have read the Beautiful Creatures series twice now (And moving onto the Dangerous Creatures books when they arrive).
Overall, I thought they were ok, not the best reads, but certainly better than Twilight.
Less idealism and a more realistic outlook that what you want doesn't come cheap.
There weren't many (if any) plot twists that were unforeseeable, however, I do share Ethan's ability to spot things before they happen.

Just watched the film. Jeremy Irons and the chemistry between the main two aside, it is terrible.
Does the book no justice whatsoever, and basically closes the door on Beautiful Darkness.
No Marion (A major player later on), Amma is made to look like a throwaway, yet in the book Macon (Or Melchizedek) is at least cautious of her, if not openly afraid. Sarafine, supposedly the world's most powerful dark caster (And a Cataclyst) is easily brushed aside by Lena, a just turned 16 year old with more angst than Harry Potter.

One biggie for me is that the books make it clear that mortals and casters cannot share prolonged physical contact without the mortal experiencing discomfort, yet sexual relations are implied between Ethan and Lena, and also Ridley and Link. (Not to mention Lena is 15 at this point which would be illegal!)

Conclusion? I think the movie was a poorly thought out attempt to rival Twilight. The authors don't make much reference to it in their website which suggests they weren't overly impressed either. But such is Hollywood.

All in all, I think the movie was a poor reflection of the books and could have been handled much better. Whilst a movie like this is a bit of a risk, sticking more to the book would have given more continuity (and made more sense).
4/10
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I definitely want to read this book. The movie has a good premise, it was just executed poorly but that's the case with a lot of movie.
ms07
Currently Reading: You Think It, I'll Say It
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms07.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by ms07 »

The book was amazing. I was excited to watch the movie but was unfortunately disappointed. The book blows the movie away, so don't be discouraged by the movie if you haven't read the book yet.

Return to “Films and Books”