The Hunger Games Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
SueY84
Currently Reading: The Marriage Lie
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suey84.html

Re: The Hunger Games Series

Post by SueY84 »

I've not read the series. It is something I plan on doing at some point though. I've seen the movies and enjoyed them. I know how frustrating it can be when a movie isn'the up to the standards you've set for it. I do think since the book is so much different and better I'll be more interested in it. I usually read the book before I watch the movie or not at all so it will be sort of an experiment for me.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I respectfully disagree. I thought the first movie was very faithful to the book.

I think I mentioned this in an earlier forum post somewhere but actually I saw the movie first. I kept hearing about this book, The Hunger Games, and thought it would be very childish YA drivel, but it did manage to draw my attention. Then, one day while going through videos at the local library I saw the DVD (talk about "being late to the party"!) and I picked it up. I figured if I didn't like it, which I honestly thought I wouldn't, at least I wouldn't be spending a lot of time reading. I could just turn off the video after a few minutes and forget about it. To my utter surprise I really got into the movie and totally enjoyed it.

Then a huge coincidence occurred. When I returned the movie, lo and behold, sitting on the For Sale table at the library was a mint copy of the book for a half dollar. Well, to make a long story short I GRABBED IT!!! *LOL* When I got home I started reading and couldn't put it down even though I already knew the story - it was SO well written!

Personally I think the movie captured the book very well and in fact I liked the mutt dog attack at the end WAY better than the reincarnation of the dead tributes as werewolves in the book which just didn't work for me. We are meant to sympathize with the dead tributes, and then they come back like zombies? No way.

All three books were great and so were the movies, but the first was by far the best in my opinion.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

I enjoyed the series much more than Divergent, personally.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Olivia750

Post by Olivia750 »

I saw the hunger game series. Awsome collection
Boyko Ovcharov
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Boyko Ovcharov
Favorite Book: The Proximity of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1416
fav_author_id: 33385

Post by Boyko Ovcharov »

Honestly, I was glued to the screen when I saw the first part and remained so throughout the others. No matter if via the book or the movie, this talented author tells a great dystopian story that resembles our today's lives so much, for the better or worse! Well done, by all means.
Rukudzo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukudzo.html

Post by Rukudzo »

I read all the books and I found them mesmerizing. :D :D I truly enjoyed reading them and finished all three within a short time as I could not put the book down. I was kept on urge, yearning for more. The movies were a bit of a disappointment. :( :( Somehow the movies were not the same as in the book story.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I think that this was what a lot of readers who are passionate about a book experience when watching a movie adaptation for the first time. I have been disappointed over and over again for exactly this. I think that mini-series or TV series have a much better chance of accurately representing a book simply based of the amount of time that they can dedicated to the work.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I enjoyed these and I think it was because I saw the movies first for once. However I couldn't wait for the third so started reading the books and finished the series. I remember thinking the second movie stuck closely to the book and was very good.

The soundtracks are awesome too.
Central
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-central.html

Post by Central »

I found the movies like that as well. It just didn't feel quite as engaging as the book.

I guess that's what happens when directors try to cram an event that takes several days into a film 2 and a half hours long.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

They did the best they could, but you just don't get the build up which happens in the last book. Second film did flow very well though, and although the first film took a lot of time to get to the "games" you needed all the stuff at the beginning to set the scene and get a feel for the characters so it would mean something when they entered the "arena"
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
vinsam

Post by vinsam »

Mockingjay is the best one which i have readed and thanks for the post.
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

I read the books first, but the movies are definitely better. Even though the book had its moments, I just wasn't as attached to the writing style. The movies however had me gripping my seats in the theaters and I absolutely loved them.
zerofire2905

Post by zerofire2905 »

I love the Hunger Games series. I have spent a whole night (without sleeping) to read all 3 series!
Luckily the main actress (Jennifer Lawrence) has exceptionally described my Katniss well.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

I am big on not having books made into films unless they stick to the story line, so with that said, I was very 50/50 with The Hunger Games. There were significant moments that I felt were not portrayed well in the movie. For example, the Mockingjay pin, was given to Katniss by Madge, who is not in the movie, and was given to her my Greasy. That scene was significant to me.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html

Post by Chitopogi »

I have watched all the Hunger Games movies but I have not yet read any one book of the Hunger Games. I think I should make them a priority read.

Return to “Films and Books”