The Maze Runner Movies (1 and 2) [Spoilers!]

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
seeker19
Currently Reading: The Trials of Apollo
Bookshelf Size: 506
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seeker19.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

The Maze Runner Movies (1 and 2) [Spoilers!]

Post by seeker19 »

There are way too many movie adaptations that have left me seriously disappointed. It is understandable that all the dialogue, plot points, and descriptions cannot be included in the short 2 hour time frame that movies typically are. But, movies that change the entire plot of the book just baffle me. Why would you take a perfectly good book that is loved by its fans and change it completely? How is that a smart idea for a successful movie?

There are some adaptations that I've liked such as the Harry Potter movies and the Hunger Games movies. But there are too many that left more to be desired. One such movie series is the Maze Runner movie and the second one, the Scorch Trials. The first movie, the Maze Runner, I was actually okay with. I was even able to overlook the fact that they changed the entire method of how the Gladers escaped the maze. It was close enough to the code and the griever hole in the book that I could forgive them since it was still one of the better movie adaptations I had seen.

I should have known it wouldn't last. From the first scene, they CHANGED the ENTIRE PLOT! In the book, they are safe after they escape the maze for like one day, but then they find out that they were actually in the second phase of the experiment and had to cross the Scorch to reach the next destination. In the movie, they basically ignored the plot and created an entirely new problem with some weird lab facility and experiments. In the book there were only the Gladers in the facility, and then they see the new kid Aris. In the movie, they are suddenly with dozens of other kids who were in a similar maze?!! And then they just randomly escape into the Scorch and try to reach a "safe haven" that they've heard about? And also, in both movies, what happened to telepathic communication between Theresa and Thomas?!! I cannot fathom why you would change a perfectly good plot that was working, what is the point?

Anyways, as you can tell, I am really mad about these movies. In fact, I was so annoyed with it that I stopped watching it about half way into the movie. Maybe it improved later on but I just couldn't watch another minute of it. Well that's was the end of my rant. This was my first post in the forum so let me know if I'm doing it wrong lol. What are your thoughts on the movie? Did you like it or hate it? Did you want to pull your hair out while watching it?
animatedwolf3432
Currently Reading: Too Far
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animatedwolf3432.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Post by animatedwolf3432 »

I completely understand your anger! I hadn't read Maze Runner before I saw the first movie. I liked the first movie so much, I decided to read the books. I definitely loved the book more than the movie, but I wasn't very upset with the first movie. However, I saw Scorch Trials after I read the book, and I was so disappointed!
You already mentioned a few changes that were pretty important, but there were more that I was very upset about! They changed the way the Flare affected people, making it more like a zombie-virus than what was described in the movie. It was not airborne, either. Anyone could get it if they were bitten/scratched by someone who was infected. That alone is frustrating, because it changes a major plot-point for the entire series.
The girl they cast for Brenda is nothing like Brenda is described, which is disappointing. Also, Winston's death was done incorrectly, because he got "infected" with the Flare.
Even though I was disappointed with the movie, I'll still be seeing the third one when it comes out. It's going to be really wrong, and there's gonna be a lot of important stuff missing because they killed off characters that were necessary for the third one, but I'll still see it.
seeker19

Post by seeker19 »

Yes! Someone who understands the pain! I was considering finishing watching scorch trials because maybe it improved later, but after your post, animatedwolf3432, I've decided not to watch it. They actually changed the way Winston died? Like how doesn't they make any business sense at all? When the third movie comes out I might reconsidering watch the movies, but only because I love Dylan Obrien so much lol.
animatedwolf3432
Currently Reading: Too Far
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animatedwolf3432.html

Post by animatedwolf3432 »

Dylan O'Brien is an amazing actor! Casting him as Thomas was probably the best decision they made on that entire movie series lol. I really hope the third one turns out okay, but it's going to be really hard for them to do it because they killed Gally off in the first movie! He plays a HUGE role in the third book. I also really hope they do the ending right. I don't know if you've read the Divergent series, but the third book, Allegiant, they totally changed the ending in the movie and completely ruined the movies for me.
seeker19

Post by seeker19 »

Yeah, that's what I hate is that it's probably not salvagable anymore because they've already changed the plot too much. I've read the first two books for divergent, but not allegiant becaauebsomeone told me what happens in the end and I didn't want to go through all that emotion knowing what the ending was lol. I might pick it up and read it later on though who knows. I haven't watched any of the divergent movies though...I think I just moved on from the series. But it's on Netflix so I might as well watch it lol
BellaReyna
Currently Reading: Warm Bodies
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by BellaReyna »

I couldn't agree more with the anger I felt in regards to changing the entire plot and characters and their actions. It was almost like I was in alternate world watching the Scorch Trials and reading the Scorch Trials. I was not appalled by the Maze Runner film, (it is what actually got me wanting to read the series), but changing all of the important contributing factors in the second film was incomprehensible for me. It almost felt like they decided the author's story had no place in their Hollywood agenda.

In retrospect, I definitely enjoyed the book series more than it's film counterparts, as reading will always take first place in my books. And come to think of it, did they not kill off Newt in the film adaptation of the Scorch Trials? Shame on them.

Currently I am reading Warm Bodies and hopefully it doesn't make me disapprove of the film, because I really enjoyed watching it.
My daughter is rereading the Harry Potter books with me and we both love the books as much as watching the films.

It just goes to show that some things can actually live up to your expectations, where others completely destroy it for you. It's life, I guess!
seeker19

Post by seeker19 »

I couldn't agree more! Some movie adaptations actually try to remain as close as possible to the main book plots, namely Harry Potter and the Hunger Games. Those are the only two I can think of and movie makers should really look at those as an example. And they kill Newt in the second movie?! That's just crazy seriously, what is wrong with them? It was the same with the Percy Jackson movies...they are a complete disaster. These things just make me so angry and frustrated.
bandsqueen85
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandsqueen85.html

Post by bandsqueen85 »

personally i loved both the books and the movies, i thought the casting was fantastic and all the actors fit their parts extremly well. however i didnt like the scorch trials movie as much as i did maze runner. i hope death cure will turn out better, and i'll have to read the books again before it comes back out so i remember what happens
seeker19

Post by seeker19 »

It's interesting that you liked both books and movies. I also found maze runner was fine, just scorch trials. I did love the casting for the movie a lot, which is why I'm tempted to continue watching the movies, just out of loyalty to Dylan O'Brien lol :)
BellaReyna
Currently Reading: Warm Bodies
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by BellaReyna »

The cast was superb and believable, that I concur! Although, Minho didn't seem as openly brutal conversation wise in the film adaptation as he did in the books. Still the cast did great portraying their characters, given the shotty scorch trial film circumstances. :lol2:
Olivia750
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Olivia750 »

The comment shows that book is interesting. I will read it must
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really liked the first movie although I had not read the books. I did watch the second movie and found it just okay. I still have not read the books, but it sounds like I should. It sounds like the second book is much better than the second movie. I may have to look into getting those! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I haven't read the books but I do love both movies, more love for the first one though than the sequel.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

I enjoyed the movies quite a bit. My wife actually showed them to me, but the funny thing was we rented and watched the second movie and like five months later she was like "hey, we should watch the second maze runner!" and I had to remind her we'd already seen it. That was how memorable it was for her, lol.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

This is the first book that I saw the movie first and then read the book. A friend told me it was the only way she could do it without getting mad at the movie for changing the book. Well, I did it and it was not a good idea. It still bothered me how different the movie was. I get angry at these things, because the book is where it all begins, so why allow the movie to be different and yet name it the same?

This reminds me of how old stories get twisted (like the game telephone). The Brother Grimm stories for example. They were hardcore, but throughout the years were slimmed down and changed. They are not the same stories!
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Return to “Films and Books”