Remake the Eragon Movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Ebbermiester
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebbermiester.html

Remake the Eragon Movie

Post by Ebbermiester »

I often say that the book is always better than the movie. Sometimes, in rare cases, it is the opposite.
However, with Eragon, the books are so much better it hurts a little.

I absolutely LOATH the movie. There were a lot of gaping plot holes, they got a lot of the characters wrong, skipped out on others, and don't even get me started on how Saphira looks. A big, blue, CGI blob with wings.

Now, someone might think I'm being a book purist, or overly critical. Nope. I have friends who have seen the movie without having read the book first, and they HATE it too.

I would really like someone to remake the movie, because the right person could really bring it to magical life.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I watched the film when it first came out and honestly, my young little mind loved the film! well...I loved the dragon, she was stunning and the visual effects were pleasing to the eye and not what I would call over done. Now, I did not actually know this was also a book, so when I realised I bought it and I do agree after reading the book, the film never quite felt the same for me! But....unfortunately I never really enjoyed the next book in the series, I flicked over alot of the description as I felt there was alot, that is only personal opinion though. Since I enjoy many other books choc fulla description it may have just been me not connecting to the writing.

So yes I agree that once reading the book I found the film drastically lacking....but from another point of view as a youngster who hasnt read the book, the film remains very enjoyable
WinkeJ
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winkej.html

Post by WinkeJ »

If the book has promise , I could see myself giving it a try.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I agree. I liked the book so much better than the movie. I agree that the plot was significantly lacking compared to the book.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have not read the book. I have watched the movie. Having not read the book, I didn't know that the movie was bad. I enjoyed the movie, but I might have to look up the book now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

I walked out on the movie because I disliked it so much. Meanwhile, I read the book four times. This book deserves a second chance to make for a stunning motion picture.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Bookwrm2095
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwrm2095.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bookwrm2095 »

I remember watching it years ago and had struggled to watch the whole thing. I did but it was very difficult for me to watch. I don't want to say it was HORRIBLE but it could have been better. I am not sure if it was more of the story line itself or the acting. However, I have never read the books either. I am hoping the quote "the book is always better than the movie" applies here!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Zeiyuka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4008">The Hobbit</a>
Currently Reading: Zodiac
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Zeiyuka »

I have been a huge fan of the Inheritance series and when I read the book, and went to see the movie, I was... Cringing so hard I'm almost sure the people around me thought I was having a fit.

I loved the book so much and I was excited to see the movie, but... they really messed up. Royally at that. I feel the Director did not even read the book. I don't want to get started on my mile long list of what was wrong with the movie, but I agree they need to scrap the movie and start over with a different Director and cast. (Though, I feel Jeremy Irons fit Brom amazingly well and I feel he needs to play Brom again if there is a remake.)

It has so much potential to be an amazing work of art that I feel it really needs to be remade. I honestly hope one day, someone will bring Eragon back!
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

Eragon wasn't my favorite book (although it has more than just my respect). I was stunned at how shallow the movie felt in comparison (even though I saw it first).

I can't claim originality for this idea: but Peter Jackson should do a remake :P
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I agree. With someone to do the story justice, it could be a really great movie. Sometimes when a book is made into the movie, it turns out wonderful, usually when the director and people behind it have a genuine love of the source material. In the case of Eragon I don't think that is the case.
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

I loved the books. It's a truly incredible world and the movie didn't make any justice to it. So, yes, I would love a remake!
maiamalanee
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... tlander</a>
Currently Reading: Green Mansions
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiamalanee.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by maiamalanee »

It wasn't my favorite series, but it was a very good read. The first time I saw the movie, I thought it was alright, but after watching it again, I kind of pushed it under the couch and never watched it again. It just needs new direction, much like they did with A Series of Unfortunate Events. The casting was alright, I believe it was an all Australian crew.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Vickyoreo86 wrote:I watched the film when it first came out and honestly, my young little mind loved the film! well...I loved the dragon, she was stunning and the visual effects were pleasing to the eye and not what I would call over done. Now, I did not actually know this was also a book, so when I realised I bought it and I do agree after reading the book, the film never quite felt the same for me! But....unfortunately I never really enjoyed the next book in the series, I flicked over alot of the description as I felt there was alot, that is only personal opinion though. Since I enjoy many other books choc fulla description it may have just been me not connecting to the writing.
I too think dragons are cool. It's a shame they are not real.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

The series was never my favourite. I was alright but considering it was writte by a 19 year old it is really impressive. I actually loved the movie though it is a horrible adaptation.
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

I absolutely love the Inheritance Cycle and despise the movie! There were major plot holes and the character portrayals were awful. The movie needs a remake.I agree, the right director could turn it around completely.

Return to “Films and Books”