Harry Potter

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
The Virgo Speaks
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-virgo-speaks.html

Harry Potter

Post by The Virgo Speaks »

This may be against the rules of the nerd association (of which I am a proud member), but I have seen every single Harry Potter movie an extensive amount of times and have never read any of the books. I plan to do so, however, before I die. I also plan on reading Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by J. K. Rowling before i see the movie.
shalako
Currently Reading: Enter, night
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalako.html

Post by shalako »

I read all the HP books before watching the movie but I'm super excited to see Fantastic Beasts without reading it first! It's so great to go into a movie not knowing what will happen. You can spend the hours enjoying it instead of mentally critiquing it and comparing it to the book (which is what I always end up doing)
scorsassy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by scorsassy »

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them doesn't really have a plot, so I don't think you should bother with it! The book is a "study guide", an enciclopedia that presents the different kinds of magical creatures and explains where they can be found, what they eat, etc. It's mentioned a few times in the Harry Potter books, it's a school book they use. JK Rowling created the whole plot especially for the movie, not of it is in the book. Just so you don't get disappointed if you do decide to read it first :)
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I've read all of the books, but I plan on going back and re-reading them again this winter. It's been several years since I've read them, so I think now is a good time to start again!

I'm also a huge fan of the movies!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Miah Ryans
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miah-ryans.html

Post by Miah Ryans »

OMG!!! I too am a huge HP series fan. I've read each and every book so many time that I forgot the count. Seen the movies too. My all time favorite . #The Virgo Speaks if you have seen all the movies and love them , I highly recommend you to read the books..dont wait till you die,go for it right now and then you wont stop until you reach the last page of the series.
HerRoyalCuteness_J
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herroyalcuteness-j.html

Post by HerRoyalCuteness_J »

I Love the Movies and the books too..? Excited to see Fantastoc Beast as well..?
BarbaraBrien
Currently Reading: The Underground Railroad

Post by BarbaraBrien »

I loved Fantastic Beasts - it was fun to see the movie without knowing the plot ahead of time. I liked the Harry Potter movies, but I don't think they were half as good as the book.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I have read all the books and seen all the movies. I read them to my son. We would read a chapter a night. It was excruciating to read the book so slow. I would steal the book away and read ahead. I, thus, read the books twice. Once with him and once for myself and then he wanted to read them again when he became old enough and he read to me. I loved these stories and the film portrayals were great. I loved the casting and the young actors did a wonderful job. They grew up as my son did.
bandsqueen85
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandsqueen85.html

Post by bandsqueen85 »

i love both the books and the movies, i read the harry potter books before i watched the movies though. im not sure if i want to watch fantastic beasts before or after i read the book, but im waiting until i can rent the movie at home to decide. i also wish i couldve seen the cursed child play! sadly i dont live near the places they performed, so ive only got the screenplay.
Ruxia
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruxia.html

Post by Ruxia »

Harry Potter is probably the series I've reread and rewatched the most. I love both the books and the movies, but I have to say for me the books are a lot better, mainly because the movies tend to leave out quite a bit of the subplot that makes the books so interesting. Nevertheless, I think the movie adaptions are one of the better ones I've seen. There are other movies that tend to mess up the plot of the book completely. I'm just glad the Harry Potter films (in my opinion) did the books justice.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I have to agree, this series of movies actually did the books justice. That doesn't happen often. I loved "Cursed Child". Hopefully, after the play has had its run in West End it will be turned into a movie as well.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I've read all the books and seen all the movies excluding the newest one. I read the books first. I think the movies were done well.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Yep that's a definite violation of the nerd association rules :) When you do get around to reading them you'll realise just how much of the story you missed from watching the movies first. That being said the HP movies were excellent too.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

The Virgo Speaks wrote:This may be against the rules of the nerd association (of which I am a proud member), but I have seen every single Harry Potter movie an extensive amount of times and have never read any of the books. I plan to do so, however, before I die. I also plan on reading Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by J. K. Rowling before i see the movie.
The books are fantastic, but the movies are even better. I think in general it's okay if you saw the movies first, because they are iconic and deserve the legacy they have.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
L T Brook
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-t-brook.html

Post by L T Brook »

When I was growing up, I was an avid HP reader. I use to reread them all the time but as I got older and interested in other things, I stopped binging on them. I've only read the 6th and 7th book once. I've actually never seen the final movies. I've been considering rereading the whole series and rewatching the movies. I want to read the series to my son but I don't know if he's old enough yet.

Return to “Films and Books”