Beastly: Book to movie Failure

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
GoodBooksGoodReviews
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodbooksgoodreviews.html

Beastly: Book to movie Failure

Post by GoodBooksGoodReviews »

Most people can appreciate the freedoms films tend to take when converting a book to a movie. But when it comes to the mutilation of one of my favorite reads- particularly when it is based off of my favorite fairytale, I cannot simply stay silent. This brings me to my topic: Beastly. I confess that I did see the movie before reading the book, but I also had researched and read snippets of it before the film came out. But not only did the movie change the beast's looks to make him more bearable to the audience, but I was shocked at how whittled down the plot and characters of this story had been simply to meet a deadline. No wonder it was more of a straight to DVD, then a hit blockbuster. With a barebones plot and paper thin characters, I was surprised it even made it into the theaters.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

Ah! I watched beastly and honestly never realised this was a book! I think I love you now (hehe) since you seem to have a strong feeling about the book I need to buy this and read it!. I thought the film was cute for teeny boppers, but I also felt even not knowing a book existed, that the film and plot was seriously lacking! I couldnt help but feel it was somehow unfinished...it was not a comfortable flow. Sweet but.....shallow? does that make sense?

I am guessing the book is far deeper? I am checking it now!! :) :D :D :D
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Ah, I haven't seen it but now I'll know to stay away from it! The book sounds interesting, though!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
liniageline89
Currently Reading: Ender's Game
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by liniageline89 »

I was in junior high when the movie came out, and I thought the movie was cute. I grew up with High School Musical so seeing Vanessa Hudgens was the highlight of the movie. From what I knew of the time restrictions they had, I thought they pulled it off relatively well and it was obvious they made with my demographic in mind (young teenage girls)
Now that I am older, I recently went on a Vanessa Hudgens marathon with my friends and seeing Beastly was a whole new experience for me. I read almost all of Alex Finns book couple years long period between watching the movie and rewatching it. Now I can say with full conviction that while the Beastly movie was sweet and ok for its time, it did not give the book enough credit. The subplots in the movie were lacking and the feeling from watching the movie is not as deep or intense as from reading the book.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I actually enjoy the movie a lot, but I have not read the book before. I plan to read the book soon because I have recently been into the retellings of fairy tale stories.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I didn't mind the Beastly movie. It's not my favorite by any means, but I enjoyed it enough. The book is still vastly better, though. I love all of that author's books.
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

I enjoyed watching Beastly and loved the book even more! I have not seen Beastly in a few years so that may be why I still have a positive opinion about it.

Return to “Films and Books”