Fantastic beasts J.K. Rowling

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
sgirl58
Currently Reading: Damaged
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgirl58.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Fantastic beasts J.K. Rowling

Post by sgirl58 »

I haven't read Fantastic beasts and where to find them yet but I am very much looking forward to the movie. Who has read the book and or saw the movie all though I a don't think the movie is out yet.
Cathie
Beyaz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Beyaz »

I haven't read the book too but i have a copy of the book waiting for me to read. As far as i know, the book and movie doesn't really relevant, the book is about the fantastic beasts and movie (what i understand from the trailers) is based on a man with a suit case full of with these beasts.
I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter series and right now i'm counting days 'till the day it's out. Wish i could just speed up time to 18 November.
Beyaz
Snow Paw

Post by Snow Paw »

From what I understand, young Dumbledore is going to be in the movie. Which in my opinion is going to be awsome. He was always one of my favorite characters in the film's due to his laid back attitude, and in the books he was an even better character. I can't wait to see the movie, or read the book. Even if they don't correlate to each other
roxannepark
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxannepark.html

Post by roxannepark »

I read the book when I was younger. It was written as a fake textbook, so there's no plot to it; it's just an encyclopedia of imaginary, fantasy creatures. The plot of the movie is going to be completely new, written with the following rough guidelines:

1) the main character is the author of the encyclopedia
2) it's set in New York
3) it's set in the 1920's

I think the creative decision to make these movies instead of sequels with Harry's kids or prequels with Harry's parents is a good, bold choice. It will end up being a completely new story, showing a completely new side of the wizarding world that Rowling created.
sgirl58
Currently Reading: Damaged
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgirl58.html

Post by sgirl58 »

I have read all the Harry Potter books twice and seen all the movies. I am looking forward to seeing this movie!
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

Snow Paw wrote:From what I understand, young Dumbledore is going to be in the movie. Which in my opinion is going to be awsome. He was always one of my favorite characters in the film's due to his laid back attitude, and in the books he was an even better character. I can't wait to see the movie, or read the book. Even if they don't correlate to each other
I haven't kept up with much information about the movie, I'm just excited to see it. But I had no idea Dumbledore will be in it! Now I am even more excited! :D
Tiff-thebookworm
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiff-thebookworm.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Tiff-thebookworm »

I was aware until I saw the trailer pop up on youtube. It looks pretty awesome. Kind of looks like to be a mixture of How to train your dragon clashes with Harry Potter. I am excited to see the movie and I love the 1920 era!
Though I walk by day, I treasure my nights with you.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm very excited to see this movie! Although I wish JK had written a new series based on the "Fantastic Beasts" book instead of a movie series. From what I hear, this is the first of a multiple movie series. I just think it would have been nice to see a new, young generation be inspired by her writing!
jenherv13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenherv13.html

Post by jenherv13 »

I have finally seen this movie and it was fantastic. J.K. Rowling is a brilliant writer and I love everything by her. That being said, if you are a Harry Potter fan and love being part of the Wizarding world, then you have to watch this movie. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but it's a must see!
CG Lease

Post by CG Lease »

I really enjoyed this movie much more than the book. I admit, I do not like the textbook style the original book was written in. Whereas the movie was very good. With the story of Newt being expanded it provided a much more interesting backstory for me.
minderella

Post by minderella »

I saw it...it was awesome! Without spoiling anything, I really loved the characterizations. I also appreciated how while it was a fantasy movie, it was clearly geared towards adults and twentysomethings, as most of the HP generation is older now. So you've got all of the magic of the original 7, but with the added bonus of protagonists who are about our age working jobs for their living, speakeasies, and implied drinking! And the Prohibition-era aesthetic was gorgeous.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

This movie is probably my favorite one of all the Harry Potter movies. Newt is such a great character and his story is also very interesting. I'm already excited for the next film in the series. :icon-ugeek:
alem0007
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alem0007.html

Post by alem0007 »

IT'S SOOOOOOO AWESOME!!! I loved the movie so much. Yep, I haven't read the book yet. XD
Srosemautner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srosemautner.html

Post by Srosemautner »

I have not read the book yet but I saw the movie and I think they did a really terrific job! For the die hard Potter fans that are skeptical I want to say stay open minded. The reason we love Harry Potter so much is because the books are actually just the tip of the iceberg for the world and background that Rowling spent years of her life creating. While Fantastic Beasts is wonderful, it is not a book baby of the same up bringing.
ShaneDevante

Post by ShaneDevante »

I quite enjoyed the movie and it really was a strong, solid piece. There was one scene, however, I felt contradicted everything she'd previously established on the subject - that's a spoiler, so not mentioning it - but in general, I felt it was an excellent film. Hopefully, the sequels will be just as strong.

Return to “Films and Books”