Would You Choose To Never See The Film?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Diving doc
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diving-doc.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Re: Would You Choose To Never See The Film?

Post by Diving doc »

I frequently fall into the trap of watching the film anyway, and leave feeling frustrated and angry.

A book involves so much projection of your mind into the unsaid portions of what's written, that even if the filmmakers followed the book exactly (which is rare) it is unlikely to be 100% what you have imagined.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Odin908
Currently Reading: The History of Danish Dreams

Post by Odin908 »

While I do agree with the vast majority, I am too weak to resist the temptation of watching the movie. I always make sure to tell myself to relinquish any expectations and simply take it as I would someone else's vision of the story. Besides, it always opens up a good conversation of what was done out of step with the book afterward.
kodabear
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by kodabear »

I love to watch the flim after a movie to see how they want it to be seen. However I'd never try to read a book after seeing the flim. Its like everything is already played out if your head. To me that is distracting.
Odin908
Currently Reading: The History of Danish Dreams

Post by Odin908 »

kodabear wrote:I love to watch the flim after a movie to see how they want it to be seen. However I'd never try to read a book after seeing the flim. Its like everything is already played out if your head. To me that is distracting.
I agree completely. If I read a book I want my imagination to do the work on its own. I don't want any preconceived notions on what the characters or places should look like.
Dcal22
Currently Reading: jab jab jab right hook
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcal22.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Dcal22 »

There are many times were I have seen a movie and was really disappointed because like you said the book was so much better. To be completely honest there have even been times were I think wow that looks like a great movie and find out there is a book...I go read the book instead.
I have been finding myself less and less interested in going to the movies just because of the disappointment in the movie itself. I feel like major parts of the book are always left out and the inability to know what is going on in the minds of the characters makes it even harder to watch!
Read the book!
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I'd love to have the will power to say no! But I think I would be too curious to see a movie if it's of a favorite book. And if it isn't true enough to the book I can just imagine the movie has nothing to do with the book. That's how I (slightly) got over the last two Hobbit movies.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I stumbled across The Longest Ride and I loved the movie. I have never read the book. The two love stories being told in tandem and the fact that I am from the mountains of NC intrigued me. I also loved the art aspect of the film. I think that if you choose not to watch a film you may miss out on something special even when the book is "better".
animatedwolf3432
Currently Reading: Too Far
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animatedwolf3432.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Post by animatedwolf3432 »

I have read quite a lot of books that have movie adaptations. Usually, I am pretty disappointed when I see a movie adaptation after reading a book, because like the OP said, the movies usually get a lot of things wrong. While I understand this is how directors and writers work to make a film move along better, it drives me crazy. I personally would sit through a 4 hour movie if it was completely accurate with the book.
Now, I have seen movie adaptations that made me want to read the books they're based off of. When I saw The Maze Runner, the guy I was dating at the time went and bought the books so that I could read them. I loved the books, and finished them pretty quickly. However, when the second film came out, The Scorch Trials, I saw the movie and noticed a ton of inaccuracies. It made me upset, because the book was absolutely amazing!
I read the Divergent series, absolutely loved it. The movies were accurate up until the last movie, where they completely changed the ending and totally ruined the movie series! I was not just disappointed, I was furious.
I saw all the Harry Potter films before I read the books, and there were a lot of inaccuracies there. I love the Harry Potter movies, though, and always will.
So I guess, to answer the question, I would never choose to not see a movie adaptation. Even though they are usually inaccurate, I love seeing the stories come to life on-screen. It makes the story seem more real than just in my head, and I love that we have the technology to do it!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

To be honest I loved both the book and the movie to The Longest Ride. I am both a book and a movie nut and I actually love it when movies are made from books. I can usually get into the story either way. Every once in a while I may be disappointed in how a movie turned out, but it doesn't happen too often for me.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I agree that many times, the movie version is disappointing, especially if there are certain memorable scenes and dialogues that are omitted. But I can't help but be curious once in a while.
One favorite author, Sue Grafton, apparently knows how films can digress from the original book. She vows she will never agree to making movies out of her books and even has a deed banning her heirs from doing so.

-- 16 May 2017, 00:41 --

I agree that many times, the movie version is disappointing, especially if there are certain memorable scenes and dialogues that are omitted. But I can't help but be curious once in a while.
One favorite author, Sue Grafton, apparently knows how films can digress from the original book. She vows she will never agree to making movies out of her books and even has a deed banning her heirs from doing so.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I will watch the movie version to satisfy my curiosity, but I do agree that the book is usually much better.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

Breaking Dawn in the movies are pretty wonderful. But there are just these films that will continually disappoint you. :/
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I will never see the movie of Fahrenheit 451. The trailer looks horrible as well as the casting. That was one of my favorite books and I'm not letting an HBO adaptation ruin it despite Michael B. Jordan being in it.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

I saw a few movies that had book versions and I was disappointed by how it came out. Maybe because my imaginations were wild and the directors were not able to show what I wanted to see. So I decided not to see the films that were made from books.
-R
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

I think it depends. I know that movies are rarely--very rarely--as good as the book. But it is possible. I read The Name of the Rose and saw the movie. The movie is actually a respectful adaptation of the book. I go by the casting to determine if I will see a movie adaptation. For example, I chose not to see Clan of the Cave Bear. I just could not imagine Daryl Hannah as Ayla.

Return to “Films and Books”