What movie didn't you initially know was a book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
EternalShadow
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Watching a Movies and then Finding Out There is a Book!

Post by EternalShadow »

I love to read the books then watch the movies, however I love finding a good movie and then finding out there is a series of books. You learn so much more and understand the movie better once you start reading it though, then it's fun to go back and rewatch the movie.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

That happened to me after I found out there is a book series for the vampire diaries. I wonder how the books are.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Yep. Only after i had finished watching The Perks Of being a Wallflower did i learn that.it was based on a book. I loved the movie but still have not got the chance to lay my hands on the book which i will definitely read. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Fictions Mistress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictions-mistress.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Fictions Mistress »

The best! I watched Stardust as a child and had no idea until a couple of years ago it was first a book! I went and picked it up, absolutely loved it.
ablume
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ablume.html

Post by ablume »

Personally, watching the movie and then finding out there's a book annoys me. I always like to read the book first so its quite disappointing. I can never enjoy the book as much if I've seen the movie, you don't get to imagine what things look like or have the same experience in general.
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

When I was younger this used to happen to me all the time. Now though I am older and wiser, and when I see a movie that looks intriguing I whip out my phone and look for the book on Amazon. These days I will always try to read the book before I go see the movie, though sometimes this causes the movie to be far less exciting.
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
Boyko Ovcharov
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Boyko Ovcharov
Favorite Book: The Proximity of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1419
fav_author_id: 33385

Post by Boyko Ovcharov »

I think there's nothing wrong with that, bearing in mind there are numerous books written after the movies have actually been released. One such example is the well known Four Weddings and a Funeral.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I prefer to read the book and then watch the movie, but I guess your way is good too. As long as their is a book behind the story, I'm happy.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

That is like the best thing ever! Its even better if you really liked the movie, can't wait for the sequel and then find out that there is an entire series out! It's like a book lover's dream!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

I love this experience. This happened to me with the movie Coraline. After having rewatched this movie many times over the span of many years, I was in utter disbelief that there was a book that came before the movie.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Exavia
Currently Reading: Japanese Lover
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exavia.html

Post by Exavia »

I would be simultaneously excited and devastated because I prefer to read the book(s) prior to watching the movies.
I don't like it when the cinematographer's ideas are in my head trying to overpower my mind's vision of how things look/sound.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

I found I do not like watching a movie and finding out it's a book. Other than the movies pulling out some important information, when I go to read the book I already have an idea of the characters look or sound. Most the time these do not match up very well to how the book describes them. This is true for not just the characters, but the scenery, houses, animals, etc.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Re: Watching a Movies and then Finding Out There is a Book! That'll be the Day! Although I think I may have watched a movie that I didn't know was based off a book. I will have to research further later on! LoL!!!
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

so happening, but so far there's no movie that really followed what was written in the book.
Nisma Shrestha
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nisma Shrestha »

I have watched many movie that are based on the novels . It's very exciting to read book after watching movies . The are lots of things in book than movies . I get addicted to the book than movies . I have watched a single movies hundredths time.

Return to “Films and Books”