Books made into movies yes or no?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Re: Books made into movies yes or no?

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I do like when the book is made into a movie. I always think it's interesting to see how close the book actually is to the movie. I also like to see if the characters in the movie look like I imagined they would. Although I do have to say that I hardly ever like the movie as much as the book.
Trehanna7
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trehanna7.html

Post by Trehanna7 »

yes, I agree that books should be made into movies so that the story is accessible to everyone. I also think that the movies are good at exposing books for others to read, but I personally would prefer not to see the movie for most of them. Books are ALWAYS better.
Tollensa 25
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tollensa 25 »

Personally I love fantasy books turned into movies. I would recommend everyone read the books first of course and then compare your vision with the directors ideas.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

There are definitely times when making a book into a movie has turned out horribly. However, I don't really think it would be fair to say that all adaptions are bad just because of a few. There have been quite a lot of situations where a book being made into a movie has ended in a wonderful movie.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
firecat88
Currently Reading: Trapped
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by firecat88 »

I've seen a few book-based movies/shows that were really good. However, I've seen considerably more of them that were really bad. The ones that were good all had one thing in common: They stayed as true as possible to the source material. I don't like it when book-based movies throw in random (usually involving romance) side plots that weren't in the book, or take out important plot points, or a combination of the two.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Yes. There are lots of books I didn't like that got converted into movies and I loved them.
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

It depends on whether or not the author is involved in the production or just hands its over. In my opinion, authors who really care and are actively involved make better movies. Giving film producers free reign is just a disaster waiting to happen.
Oshin
Currently Reading: Silent Witness
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oshin.html

Post by Oshin »

I feel they should be, no? There is no greater feeling than getting to watch your favourite characters come to life!
And even if the movie is not as good as the book (which might happen), you will always have the book!
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Honestly, I really don't care if a movie is made after the book. I have a hard time as it is finding the time to watch a movie because I want to use that time to read. Now, if it is a really good book that I am telling someone about that does not like to read but wants to watch the movie with me, than it is a good thing. So it's kind of a toss-up
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
r_ivette3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-ivette3.html

Post by r_ivette3 »

I am impartial...
Reason being is the patrons at the library actually give those books turned to movies a try so it promotes the book tremendously. I would rather read the book and then watch the movie for entertainment and compare of course.
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I personally believe it's a toss up.

I tend to prefer the movie version if the book is over 100 years old if only because cultural writing style change (I can't stand Jane Austin's writing but I love her story lines and would happily marathon her film adaptations). Anything more modern usually depends on whether the source material was completed before the movie was discussed. I feel that the Harry Potter series was done a disservice because the first movie came out before the fourth in a seven book series and later movies had to be further adapted to combine author expectations with screen writer goals. It's the current issue with "The Game of Thrones" series, the show has surpassed the written source and no one is sure what could/should/would happen (but I heard they're going to cancel the show before it's a true issue). I also question movies that were made because the book was so popular that someone somewhere wanted to cash in, most adaptations nowadays seem to come from the cash cow idea rather than the source being ready for it (see above).
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

bebby_the_booker wrote:I actually can't stand in when books are made into films, I love books for the reason that I can make the people look however I like and the landscape and everything I don't like that someone else tries to decide how I see the story....does anyone feel the same way?
I've never actually thought about it from that perspective! Now that I think about it, I agree with you. Sometimes, the films may be good, but usually I prefer to read the book.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Wendi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendi.html

Post by Wendi »

No I like to see the movie and see how it is after reading the book!
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

It depends on the book. If it's a book that I really like, I would want to see it in a movie to see how the directors take the book and make it move. However, I also like it when I can image the characters and the landscapes and what not.
Titanium Love
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanium-love.html
Latest Review: "Spell Wars" by Joshua Cox-Steib

Post by Titanium Love »

bebby_the_booker I agree that books are great because you can change the character, landscape, and really any element of the story because it's your imagination. However, I also think that certain books can become wonderful movies if they have the right cast and director. :techie-reference: A great example of this was the Hunger Games they depicted it perfectly in my opinion. :)
Latest Review: "Spell Wars" by Joshua Cox-Steib

Return to “Films and Books”