What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Clive Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Post by Clive Johnson »

I loved "The Sixth Sense" and can't understand why the director's later films have been received with less enthusiasm. "The Village" was frightening and the twist intriguing. The denouement seemed unlikely, but was, nevertheless, possible.

The last film I watched was "The List of Adrian Messenger". Huston's film divides opinion. I was caught up in the sleuth's investigation of Messenger's dying communication. I think I was aware that it was tongue in cheek, when I first watched it. The length of the list was implausable, but it was only when I saw the film a day or two ago, that I realized the unlikelihood of the sleuth's failure to spot the connection between the victim and one of the clues. The film had to be a spoof, a burlesque that deliberately planted absurdities to draw attention to the awfulness of the people involved.

-- 19 Mar 2017, 23:17 --

I loved "The Sixth Sense" and can't understand why the director's later films have been received with less enthusiasm. "The Village" was frightening and the twist intriguing. The denouement seemed unlikely, but was, nevertheless, possible.

The last film I watched was "The List of Adrian Messenger". Huston's film divides opinion. I was caught up in the sleuth's investigation of Messenger's dying communication. I think I was aware that it was tongue in cheek, when I first watched it. The length of the list was implausable, but it was only when I saw the film a day or two ago, that I realized the unlikelihood of the sleuth's failure to spot the connection between the victim and one of the clues. The film had to be a spoof, a burlesque that deliberately planted absurdities to draw attention to the awfulness of the people involved.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I've always preferred reading books over watching movies, but I was on a lengthy flight with lots of noise (making it difficult to read) and needed something to do to help kill the hours so I ended up watching "The Girl on the Train". I had read the book earlier this year and did not care for it, but I wanted to see how the movie compared to the book.

For me, this may be one of the rare cases where the movie was better than the book, although not by much. As a movie, I found it to be an interesting, suspenseful whodunit with a somewhat satisfactory ending. I finished the movie neither loving nor hating it. As a book, I found the characters annoying and the conclusion depressing. I was so happy to be finished with it. Perhaps this is because when I am reading, I tend to feel a part of the story, whereas when I am watching a movie, it is strictly for entertainment purposes.

I would rate both the book and movie 2 out of 4.
Clive Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Clive Johnson »

I haven't seen the film "The Girl On the Train" or read the book. Sometimes films taken from crime thrillers can be better than original. Most Hollywood directors have preferred to take their films from undemanding crime novels rather than literary novels. Hitchcock who wanted to achieve "pure cinema"
sometimes overreached in his attempts to improve on the originals.
"Strangers On a Train" was exciting and visually superb, with trademark sequences: the heads turning around the solitary menacing watcher at the tennis match and the succession of gripping moments at the fairground.The trouble was that the author Patricia Highsmith was a master of her craft, or should I say a mistress of it. The narrative of her story was plausible and disturbing without the need for hectic set pieces. I saw the movie years ago and didn't experience the legendary transference of guilt. I was unmoved by the loss and retrieval of the lighter and the climax, for me, was logically unnecessary. I can't reveal more without spoiling the experience for people reading this.
Yolanda Denise
Currently Reading: In the Fullness of Time
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yolanda-denise.html

Post by Yolanda Denise »

The last movie I saw was "Hidden Figures." It was epic and inspirational. I would definitely give it the highest rating possible. I want to read the book as soon as I get a chance.
snowflake7411
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake7411.html

Post by snowflake7411 »

The last movie that I saw was Logan. I think it was a perfect ending to the wolverine movies. I would give it a 5 out of 5.
wroteyou
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wroteyou »

Mama Roma 5/5!!
Btschimchim19
Currently Reading: Defender: A Scottish American Fairy Tale
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Btschimchim19 »

I watched inside out. The characters are really cute and funny, very adorable. Love it and it's creative too! 4 out of 4 stars
Exavia
Currently Reading: Japanese Lover
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exavia.html

Post by Exavia »

I saw Logan.

I would give it a 9.5/10. It was great--nearly perfect. I just had a couple of personal issues with it and they mostly had to do with my own emotions/my experience in the theatre. (There was also the lead up to what was happening...)

Highly recommend.

EDIT:

I read this a "last movie you saw in theaters" which is still true. But the last movie I watched was The Wedding Planner. It gets a solid 6.5/10 from me. It's one of my favorites but there are a few issues I have with it. I get how the story is supposed to go and that it works that way but I wish it was a little different. Other than that, the characters were great.

Yea...
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

The last movie that I watched is the Sherlock. I admire his intelligence in solving crimes and finding evidences to arrest the suspect. I rated it 10 out of 10.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Last movie I watched was Arrival, which had an interesting ending but not enough to save it from the fact that not much else happened.

In the cinema I last watched Split, would definitely recommend, very creepy, James McAvoy is just wonderful.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Mavovo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mavovo »

Well, the basic synopsis is that 5 people are in an elevator in a huge office building in downtown Philadelphia when it gets stuck and the maintenance men cant seem to work out the problem is; meanwhile the 5 people are getting edgy and scared, and then the lights go out and some very bad things happen to them, the security guard seems an image on the cctv screen of a demonic face and is convinced the Devil Himself is in the lift. To say anymore would probably spoil it so get out there and see it as its a fantastic movie![/quote]

This was a freaky movie that i never finished... to strange ad too close to reality...lifts and strangers and lifts getting stuck is waay to close for me...watched up to the part where the was the old ladys dead body and the girl kept playing the guys up against each other... really thought she was the cause acting all vulnerable so no one would suspect.

recent movie though was "At worlds end" with Captain Jack Sparrow...rating 5/5 :lol:
A Cup of Positivity
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-cup-of-positivity.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by A Cup of Positivity »

I recently saw John Wick 2 (I haven't seen the first one), and I thought it was an above average action movie. I think that the fight scenes are well-done, but it doesn't really hold my interest in regards to the story.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
jaewevz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaewevz.html

Post by jaewevz »

The last movie I saw was PANDORA, it is actually a korean movie that was acquired by Netflix. It's a disaster thriller film that i would recommend. The story is about the meltdown of an old nuclear reactor after a stong earthquake. Clearly showing each sides of actions being taken by the government, the workers and their families, and the cetizens during the disaster. It was a great movie that you shouldn't miss.???
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

The Shallows.

As someone who loves sharks, I was hesitant about this movie, but thought it might be worth trying. I knew it wasn't going to be accurate (a shark stalking a human...super realistic :roll: ), but thought the story could still be worth watching. And I was right. It was a good laugh :lol:

If taken as a survival thriller, it's okay (still not great if you prefer any realism), but it's comically inaccurate, and not just where the shark is concerned. I must admit that the cgi shark was brilliant (and beautiful), if only it had acted like a shark.

It's supposed to be a survival story, taken as that, I'd give it a 3 out of 10.
As a creature feature, slightly more, especially if you're the type to laugh at ridiculous inaccuracies, and know enough about sharks (great whites specifically), and have a certain amount of medical/first aid knowledge, to spot them.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

Beauty and the Beast (live action), 8.5/10

Return to “Films and Books”