2016 christmas

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

2016 christmas

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Thanksgiving has come and gone. In a few weeks is Christmas. Are you ready? What is your Christmas meal?
Mine is crockpot ham, snack try, mash potatoes, fresh green bean and asparagus, I may try to may a chocolate pie.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Vexin
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vexin.html

Post by Vexin »

Well, I'm going to be at my in-law's this year for Christmas, but that never stops me from contributing... Especially for the holidays.
For Thanksgiving one of the snack/treat items I made was a big hit, and it consists of no baking. These are adult treats, but the alcohol can be swapped out with orange juice or anything else you think might add good flavor! Planning to make these as well for Christmas only I plan to change it up since I really don't like to make the same thing twice.

Pecan Truffle Recipe
2 1/2 cups pecans (chopped, and toasted if you'd like)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (or any crushed up cookie of your choice)
1/2 cup honey (it has to be RAW honey. Please don't do clover honey, you will be disappointed :snooty:.)
1/4 cup Bourbon (can substitute for orange liquor if you're keeping it adult, or orange juice if kids will be eating these. If you don't drink often the bourbon might come off strong so please gauge this if you have to.)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
12 oz Chocolate (whatever baker's chocolate you like , and I recommend tempering the chocolate. It's super easy, and can be looked up if you don't know how!)

Mix everything together except the chocolate, and begin to form these babies into walnut sized balls.
To keep the mixture from sticking and not keeping form wet your hands during this process.
Place the balls into the freezer (or outside if it's cold enough where you are) for 2 hours.
Before you take them out warm your chocolate up over the stove top and begin tempering the chocolate when it reaches about 110 degrees F.
(If you do not have anything for heating chocolate on the stove top just use a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water. Please don't use the microwave :? )

Once the chocolate is ready then just roll the "frozen" balls into the chocolate until they're coated, and set them onto a pan with parchment paper. When you're done coating you can set them back outside until guests arrive or in the fridge.

Sorry this as a lot to read for such a simple recipe, but I feel the notes are important.
Hope you guys enjoy these if you make them!
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Vexin wrote:Well, I'm going to be at my in-law's this year for Christmas, but that never stops me from contributing... Especially for the holidays.
For Thanksgiving one of the snack/treat items I made was a big hit, and it consists of no baking. These are adult treats, but the alcohol can be swapped out with orange juice or anything else you think might add good flavor! Planning to make these as well for Christmas only I plan to change it up since I really don't like to make the same thing twice.

Pecan Truffle Recipe
2 1/2 cups pecans (chopped, and toasted if you'd like)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (or any crushed up cookie of your choice)
1/2 cup honey (it has to be RAW honey. Please don't do clover honey, you will be disappointed :snooty:.)
1/4 cup Bourbon (can substitute for orange liquor if you're keeping it adult, or orange juice if kids will be eating these. If you don't drink often the bourbon might come off strong so please gauge this if you have to.)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
12 oz Chocolate (whatever baker's chocolate you like , and I recommend tempering the chocolate. It's super easy, and can be looked up if you don't know how!)

Mix everything together except the chocolate, and begin to form these babies into walnut sized balls.
To keep the mixture from sticking and not keeping form wet your hands during this process.
Place the balls into the freezer (or outside if it's cold enough where you are) for 2 hours.
Before you take them out warm your chocolate up over the stove top and begin tempering the chocolate when it reaches about 110 degrees F.
(If you do not have anything for heating chocolate on the stove top just use a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water. Please don't use the microwave :? )

Once the chocolate is ready then just roll the "frozen" balls into the chocolate until they're coated, and set them onto a pan with parchment paper. When you're done coating you can set them back outside until guests arrive or in the fridge.

Sorry this as a lot to read for such a simple recipe, but I feel the notes are important.
Hope you guys enjoy these if you make them!

These sound good. Does the type of nut matter?
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Vexin
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vexin.html

Post by Vexin »

Amcdanel86 wrote:
These sound good. Does the type of nut matter?
Nah, I think they would taste good with any nut :D
Besides, pecans get jacked up in price during holiday time I think lol.
Pretty sure I ended up paying about $8 for all of the nuts needed.
razain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by razain »

It is good matter .girgdidudhdudutyfthd

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”