Favourite non cook book food book

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Favourite non cook book food book

Post by Elaine5 »

Has anyone read books that focus on food or cooking but are not cook books? I loved reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. He wrote this book before became a famous TV chef and in the book he doesn't speak favourably about chefs who "sell out" for a celebrity career! It's a raw glimpse into life in restaurant kitchens and really emphasizes the author's passion for cooking and food. Any others like this that you love?
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

Beech street bakery. I don't remember who wrote it but I really liked the book. The main character is a baker taking over a bakery in a small town. Of course there is more to it but I don't want to spoil it.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html

Post by Elaine5 »

Amh73090 wrote:Beech street bakery. I don't remember who wrote it but I really liked the book. The main character is a baker taking over a bakery in a small town. Of course there is more to it but I don't want to spoil it.
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked it up and found Little Beech Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan. Sounds delightful. I'm looking forward to reading it.
SerendipityThree
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipitythree.html

Post by SerendipityThree »

My all time favorite non cookbook food book would be Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type by Peter D'Adamo. This book is a condensed look at how each of the 4 blood types metabolizes different foods. I've enjoyed it so much over the years that I have bought copies for friends and gifted them. Today, I look to this book as a reference in my library. I just love it!
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

I have two: the Flavor Bible (which I pick up again and again) and Ratio. Hands down, best book investments for cooking I've made, even though they aren't cookbooks.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Kitchen confidential as mentioned above.
Heat, Taste Matters: Why we like the foods we do, Neurogastronomy: How the Brain Creates Flavor and Why It Matters, First Bite: How We Learn to Eat
Zulaykha_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulaykha-001.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Zulaykha_001 »

Summer Desserts is still my favourite of all time even though it's not a cookbook and the fact that it is also a romance novel makes it so interesting.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”