Gluten free cooking

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
jenmiller516
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 154

Gluten free cooking

Post by jenmiller516 »

My Celiac disease was confirmed by the lab report in today's mail. I've purchased the Gluten Free Cooking For Dummies book and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for other gluten free cooking books please.
Sasha For
Currently Reading: The Haunted Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-for.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sasha For »

I am sorry to hear that, but I hopefully have some good news. I do not have Celiac disease but I have a friend who does and so for his birthday I made him brownies (gluten free of course) with a simple online search. He said they were the best he had ever had from any store. So I guess what I am trying to say is you don't have to limit yourself as much as you would have a couple of years ago. Google is very informative and there are many free recipes out there for you! Also I think pinterest has a section that deals stricktly with gluten free foods
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

Hands down, America's Test Kitchen. They've got two gluten-free baking books that are my bibles. I've been gluten-free for about 6 years now, and one of the things I missed the most was a good baguette. Thanks to these books, I can have them again! Definitely get these books if you like to bake at all.

It can be a little overwhelming at first, but there are so many good products available now that it's gotten a lot easier than it used to be. My favorite bread is from Canyon Bakehouse - the absolute closest to regular bread that I've found. My grocery store carries it, but you can order it online if you can't find it near you. Let me know if you're interested in other product recommendations or have other questions!
jenmiller516
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 154

Post by jenmiller516 »

Thank you for the recommendation. I use Pinterest all the time and hadn't thought about searching for GF recipes.

-- 25 Jul 2016, 10:40 --

Braver, I'd love recommended products. My trial and error isn't making me feel positive about it. Thanks so much for letting me know about America's Test Kitchen having GF cookbooks. I love to bake and I miss decent crusty bread already.
braver

Post by braver »

jenmiller516 wrote:Braver, I'd love recommended products. My trial and error isn't making me feel positive about it. Thanks so much for letting me know about America's Test Kitchen having GF cookbooks. I love to bake and I miss decent crusty bread already.
Barilla makes the best gf pasta I've had. Snyders makes awesome pretzels. In terms of off-the-shelf baking mixes, I stay away from the Bob's Red Mill mixes - they use a lot of bean flour and I find that the flavor carries through to the finished product (which is really not good in things like cookies!). I do use Bob's Red Mill flours though, just not the mixes. Pamela's makes some of my favorite mixes, especially the pancake mix. I mentioned Canyon Bakehouse bread before, but I also really like Rudi's ciabatta rolls. I usually have a bag of those in the freezer ready to pop in the oven whenever I feel like a hot roll :)
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

Unfortunately I have not come across books for it. However I also haven't looked. If worse comes to worse and you can't find a book go through pintrest. I've seen gluten free Mac and cheese on there so I know they have rcipes.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I don't like gluten free cook books myself. A lot are kind that have a recipe for eight different flours, complicated directions, or the recipes simply just won't turn out. Not to mention some recipes actually expect you to weigh the different flours/starches! I get most of my recipes off of Pintrest and use a lot of Betty Crocker GF bisquick recipes as well. Haven't run into a Betty Crocker recipe that has steered me wrong. Gluten free cookbooks are also expensive. I'll go elsewhere (Pintrest, YouTube) for free than spend all that money on recipes that turn out like dog food lol. Hope your hunt goes well!! It's definitely an art. You will find out what flours you will and will not like really quick.

-- 17 Aug 2016, 23:50 --
braver wrote:Hands down, America's Test Kitchen. They've got two gluten-free baking books that are my bibles. I've been gluten-free for about 6 years now, and one of the things I missed the most was a good baguette. Thanks to these books, I can have them again! Definitely get these books if you like to bake at all.

It can be a little overwhelming at first, but there are so many good products available now that it's gotten a lot easier than it used to be. My favorite bread is from Canyon Bakehouse - the absolute closest to regular bread that I've found. My grocery store carries it, but you can order it online if you can't find it near you. Let me know if you're interested in other product recommendations or have other questions!
Hi ?Do you know of a good GF recipe for perogi dough that isn't complicated? I miss perogis so much! I have made a couple different types of doughs before, but very hard to deal with. It's just not the right dough. Frustrating!!
braver

Post by braver »

Booky_BettyC wrote:I don't like gluten free cook books myself. A lot are kind that have a recipe for eight different flours, complicated directions, or the recipes simply just won't turn out. Not to mention some recipes actually expect you to weigh the different flours/starches! I get most of my recipes off of Pintrest and use a lot of Betty Crocker GF bisquick recipes as well. Haven't run into a Betty Crocker recipe that has steered me wrong. Gluten free cookbooks are also expensive. I'll go elsewhere (Pintrest, YouTube) for free than spend all that money on recipes that turn out like dog food lol. Hope your hunt goes well!! It's definitely an art. You will find out what flours you will and will not like really quick.

braver wrote:Hands down, America's Test Kitchen. They've got two gluten-free baking books that are my bibles. I've been gluten-free for about 6 years now, and one of the things I missed the most was a good baguette. Thanks to these books, I can have them again! Definitely get these books if you like to bake at all.

Hi ?Do you know of a good GF recipe for perogi dough that isn't complicated? I miss perogis so much! I have made a couple different types of doughs before, but very hard to deal with. It's just not the right dough. Frustrating!!
I've never tried pierogies, but I've made pot stickers, and I assume the dough would work well for either. But I think you'd find the recipe too "complicated". I'm really not sure what to tell you though, since using different flours and needing to be precise is just inherent to gluten-free baking.

Truly, *all* baking should be done by weight. Flours and starches have different densities whether they are poured, scooped, or sifted. You can get away with a lot in regular baking, but once you've added the challenge of having to compensate for no gluten, things gets trickier. Gluten provides structure to baked goods, so you need different starches to help make up for that. Gluten-free flours don't hydrate the same way and can't absorb as much fat, so if your measurements are off, your final results will be too.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

There are gluten free flours on the market, if you can't find them at you store you can Google 'Gluten Free' and find them on line. My family eliminated breads and wheat and eat veggies, nuts and grains with an occasional GF brownie. It did wonders for our waists and our well-being.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html

Post by Booky_BettyC »

braver wrote:
Booky_BettyC wrote:I don't like gluten free cook books myself. A lot are kind that have a recipe for eight different flours, complicated directions, or the recipes simply just won't turn out. Not to mention some recipes actually expect you to weigh the different flours/starches! I get most of my recipes off of Pintrest and use a lot of Betty Crocker GF bisquick recipes as well. Haven't run into a Betty Crocker recipe that has steered me wrong. Gluten free cookbooks are also expensive. I'll go elsewhere (Pintrest, YouTube) for free than spend all that money on recipes that turn out like dog food lol. Hope your hunt goes well!! It's definitely an art. You will find out what flours you will and will not like really quick.

I've never tried pierogies, but I've made pot stickers, and I assume the dough would work well for either. But I think you'd find the recipe too "complicated". I'm really not sure what to tell you though, since using different flours and needing to be precise is just inherent to gluten-free baking.

Truly, *all* baking should be done by weight. Flours and starches have different densities whether they are poured, scooped, or sifted. You can get away with a lot in regular baking, but once you've added the challenge of having to compensate for no gluten, things gets trickier. Gluten provides structure to baked goods, so you need different starches to help make up for that. Gluten-free flours don't hydrate the same way and can't absorb as much fat, so if your measurements are off, your final results will be too.
Ya I understand the whole process. I guess it was just wishful thinking that I could pick up a gluten free flour blend and add what I needed to make the proper dough for perogies. Wish it was as easy as making cakes and bread?
Elizabethmichal
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabethmichal.html

Post by Elizabethmichal »

If you love to bake and would like to learn about gluten free baking, I took a class as a sort of my program in college and there was a textbook called "How Baking Works" that you can purchase on amazon and there's a big section on gluten free. It's super interesting and really nice to have the information !
leeannml
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeannml.html

Post by leeannml »

My mom and I love the "Wheat Belly" books by William Davis, MD. He has published a couple informational books on what wheat and other glutinous foods do to your body and how to avoid it, but he has also published several cook books. they over a wide verity of food with different options for different tastes.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Wouldn't most paleo cookbooks qualify as gluten free? I really like the Whole30 cookbook and I've hear good things about Nomnom Paleo.
miriamjoyreads
Currently Reading: King Arthur's Enchantresses
Bookshelf Size: 524
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriamjoyreads.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by miriamjoyreads »

This is an old thread, but just in case anyone is still looking for gluten-free recipes, I find that Becky Excell's blog is a good place to look! ("Gluten Free Cuppa Tea") They tend towards the sweeter side of things, but I think she does savoury stuff as well, and a lot of her recipes are low FODMAP as well as gluten-free. There's also a site called the "Gluten Free Student Cookbook" which is great for easy recipes that don't involve a ton of equipment or niche ingredients.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

braver wrote: 25 Jul 2016, 09:39 Hands down, America's Test Kitchen. They've got two gluten-free baking books that are my bibles. I've been gluten-free for about 6 years now, and one of the things I missed the most was a good baguette. Thanks to these books, I can have them again! Definitely get these books if you like to bake at all.

I quite agree and Canyon Bakehouse bread is really good and it does not have to be frozen. I like making gluten free from scratch sometimes also. There are fortunately a lot more resources available these days. I tend to google for a gluten free recipe, try them and if they make the cut they get added to my own file of recipes.
I always liked King Arthur flour and they have a gluten free option now. I also like Bob's Red Mill for a lot of their gluten free products.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”