Traditional dishes in your country

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Traditional dishes in your country

Post by gali »

All the dishes mentioned sound delicious! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
hwong
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hwong.html
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson

Post by hwong »

I'm from Hong Kong and I would say Dim Sum. It's actually a variety of small dishes- from shrimp rolls, to cream buns, to wrapped rice. My favorite dim sum will probably have to be xiao long bao - its a pork filling dumpling with soup in it. So it actually fills your mouth as you bite into it. MMMMMMMM.
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson
firecat88
Currently Reading: Trapped
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by firecat88 »

It's funny that I stumbled upon this thread today. I'm half Venezuelan, so we have arepas and perico (eggs scrambled with peppers and onions) for breakfast at least once a month. In fact, I just got done eating some.

Arepas are...the best way I can explain them is that they're very slightly similar to tortillas. You make dough out of cornmeal, salt, and water. Instead of pressing them super thin and flat, though, you shape the dough balls into discs. Then you boil and bake them, cut them open while they're hot, and fill them with whatever. My favorite way to eat them is with cheese and pulled pork.
anozira2014
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozira2014.html

Post by anozira2014 »

I am in Arizona so this is a favorite of the area where I live "Tamales" but I also love pizza, spaghetti and chili just to name a few.
Balta_Varna
Currently Reading: Fairy Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balta-varna.html

Post by Balta_Varna »

I'm from Russia & Lithuania, so meat and potatoes:)
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I am from Bangladesh and our traditional dish is soaked rice with hilsha cooked.the hilsha is fried or cooked with many spices that just makes it go yumm!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I am from the U.S. and so is my husband but he has a strong Irish heritage. So shepherd's pie is a staple in my kitchen. But nothing beats fried chicken, cornbread, and corn on the cob. We don't eat it often but its always a big hit.
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Adamandia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17">bloody earth</a>
Currently Reading: Stalked by love
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamandia.html

Post by Adamandia »

I am from Greece and we have plenty of traditional dishes depending on where exactly from Greece you are from. I am sure a dish you all have heard of is "mousaka" and "pastitsio", but my personal favourites are the traditional Christmas and Easter treats we make. So here they are: "kourabiethes" and "Melomakarona" for Christmas and Butter cookies for Easter
Cristina
Bookshelf Size: 3117

Post by Cristina »

Adamandia wrote:I am from Greece and we have plenty of traditional dishes depending on where exactly from Greece you are from. I am sure a dish you all have heard of is "mousaka" and "pastitsio", but my personal favourites are the traditional Christmas and Easter treats we make. So here they are: "kourabiethes" and "Melomakarona" for Christmas and Butter cookies for Easter
Mm mm. Mousaka. I just fainted!
ninjagrrl13
Currently Reading: The Devil in the White City
Bookshelf Size: 165

Post by ninjagrrl13 »

My boyfriend is Puerto Rican so his family cooks a lot of rice and beans (they put pumpkin in the beans in the fall and winter which I think is delicious) but my favorite thing he introduced me to is pernil which is pork shoulder slow cooked all day with spices and sometimes pineapples are cooked with it. The skin gets all crispy and there's a layer of fat that so soft and heavenly! Then they take some of the extra skin and fat from the back area of the pig and make chicharonnes which is fried pork fat. It gets super crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. It's obviously not good for you so it's usually a weekend treat.

Being from New England I have to say my other favorites are salmon chowder (my grandma made the best at Christmas time) and fluffer nutters! When I lived in Philadelphia I made them for lunch a lot and my roommates had no idea what it was. Blasphemy! (For those who don't though, it's peanut butter and marshmallow spread sandwich. I like to put potato chips in it too for a crunch)
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

I am from the earl of the Orient Seas, the Philippines. One of the traditional dishes in our country is "adobo". It is chicken or pork braised in garlic, vinegar, oil and soy sauce. Even foreigners love this dish. For sure you'll love it when you get to taste it. :)
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I'm from the U.S. not sure if this is considered traditional being that we have so many cultures, but frybread.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Cristina
Bookshelf Size: 3117

Post by Cristina »

Insightsintobooks wrote:I'm from the U.S. not sure if this is considered traditional being that we have so many cultures, but frybread.
I love frybread! Yes it is traditional. It is most associated with Native Americans. Where I live a lot of Tlingit people make them. I can't resist when I see it for sale especially when the charity event has frybread tacos. But even with just honey or syrup drizzled over, it is amazing. It is 3 am and I am drooling for some. :lol: :lol:
winet1965
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winet1965.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by winet1965 »

I am from the Philippines and every region here has their version of adobo and sinigang. The is stewish and the second is soupy. Both are divine!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

Alright, I am from the U.S. But anyone from America knows that various regions of the country do things very differently. My family happens to be the type that transplants itself with every new generation. We moved to the Midwest from California and are still a bit uncomfortable with some of the dishes that we overwhelmingly see at get togethers.

Around here we have Potlucks, where everyone brings a dish to pass. Those dishes are usually either hotdish or salad. The hotdish can be compared to what most other regions call casserole. Here they are made primarily of some sort of potato or starch, corn or green beans, ground beef, and cream of something soup. Salads at these events are almost never green, unless that is the color of the jello that the fruit is floating in. These may be savory salads like pasta salad or potato salad, or sweet like fruit or jello salad. Many are very cream based. Other dishes that people might eat/see are lefse (potato flatbread) and lutefisk (white fish meat that has been aged or dried and treated with lye - I don't know anyone who actually eats it). To be clear, I am not trying to bash the cooking of the upper Midwest, most of what I have described above is delicious, but it takes some getting used to.
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”