Cooking books or recipes online

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Trehanna7
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trehanna7.html

Re: Cooking books or recipes online

Post by Trehanna7 »

I enjoy cook books and the beautiful photos that often come with them. They definitely inspire me to cook. But online the recipes are endless, with multiple variations on the same dish. I've found videos, and new recipes many times just by typing in an ingredient or two. I'm much more into creativity, authenticity, and discovering how i can make a dish my own. I can be a little old fashioned in wanting to pass certain meals, and family traditions down to my own children. A scrapbook full of quotes, recipes, and pictures is something i'm hoping my children will cherish.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I often go online, especially to YouTube to look up a recipe if I want to try something new.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I'm all about online recipes. No charge, a ton of variety, and convenient. It can't get any better then that! I use Pintrest, Betty Crocker, and YouTube mostly.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I have the one cook book I mentioned nmin another post, and the rest is either recipes I put together (I like to experiment), or recipes I found online. Lately, I have been pulling a lot of recipes from online in an attempt to make dishes I haven't made before.
Siti Zakiah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siti-zakiah.html

Post by Siti Zakiah »

I would more prefer recipes online rather than cooking books. I think, my iPhone is more convenient to be held in the kitchen rather than the huge (heavy) or paper (soon to be wet) cookbook. Plus, from my experience, whatever I have tried based on a cooking book and it turns out not so good. Personal preference, the recipes online are more reliable.
hwong
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hwong.html
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson

Post by hwong »

I usually look up recipes online. Coming from an Asian background, we've never really used recipes. We just know the ingredients of the dish and cook it to taste. Of course, if you keep cooking it, you get a better idea of the amounts. The only time I look online for recipes are for baking because you really can't mess the measurements up.
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson
Douaaselena

Post by Douaaselena »

i sometimes go online for recipes especially on youtube but cookbooks are always better for me
priyankasinghania

Post by priyankasinghania »

i love to cook food
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Online! Talk about a time saver. I have a few cookbooks but I rarely ever use them. I find them to be a bit of a waste because there are usually only a few recipes in the books that I actually end up liking and cooking often. I think the internet is a great resource, especially if I have certain items and am trying to come up with a recipe for them. Lots of times I can just google the food items with "recipe" and viola! I've found a recipe to make!
Diane Rinella
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Diane Rinella »

I love having the actual book so I can make notes. I also have MacGourmet for recipes I find online, but it just doesn't "feel" the same.
Jacque33
Currently Reading: Intrusion
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacque33.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jacque33 »

I can be a little old fashioned in wanting to pass certain meals, and family traditions down to my own children. A scrapbook full of quotes, recipes, and pictures is something i'm hoping my children will cherish.[/quote]

I'm with you! I have some old handwritten recipes from grandparents that I have put into scrapbooks over the years. I prefer cookbooks. I'm a messy cook and sticky hands don't go well with a laptop or iPhone. I also don't care for how I have to keep touching the screen to keep it on while I'm measure. The screens are usually too small and I have to scroll all the time. Yes, it's nice to find something quickly online, but I end up printing it if I can. There is something to be said about a well loved recipe with wrinkles and stains!
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I only have a few cookbooks that I have gotten for Christmas or birthday gifts. For some reason everyone thinks that stay at home moms only want cookbooks and dishes for every gift. But thats ok.. I use them. I love the Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook I have but I mostly look recipes up online or happen to see them on facebook. I love pinterest... it saves all my recipes in one place in order. I am a super organized person and pinterest makes my life so much easier.
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I used to have a cooking book but now I only look online. It is easier and you can create your own combination by looking at several recipes.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I mostly use recipes online since you can bookmark them. I still keep my cookbooks on hand though just in case.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
portia1239
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-portia1239.html

Post by portia1239 »

I used to use my cook books all the time. The only cook books I found worthy of purchase were those with pictures of what you could put on the table. I needed the pictures to entice me into making the effort to cook it. Now I get most of my ideas from pinterest.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”