Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Tgoody53015
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6356">The Girl On The Train</a>
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoody53015.html
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Tgoody53015 »

I do both. If I know that there is a book I will read it first. If I find out that there is a book after I have already seen the movie I will still read it. They are almost always different and books are written with more detail so it is definitely worth it.
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey
Starrshine
Currently Reading: The Queen of the Tearling
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starrshine.html

Post by Starrshine »

I've done both. I'm usually disappointed with the movie if I've read the book first. The characters are rarely how I had them pictured, but if I've watched the movie first I know longer get to use my imagination of who the characters are. I've also read books and decided I wouldn't watch the movie because I don't want to ruin the picture I have in my mind of the story.
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I find it hard to read the book after the movie because I feel like the movie ruins the books for me. If I know there is a movie coming out based on a book, ill read the book first then see the movie.
Mariahlynn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mariahlynn »

Book always!
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

I will always read the book before watching any film versions of something. My main reason beings that once the film version has set images in my head, it is harder for me to replace them. When reading I am creating the characters, locations, sensory portions, for myself. Once I have seen a movie or show, I now am forced to picture a character or house or place, looking a certain way. The sounds and ambiance is effected as well. I feel I need the full saturation of reading and creating this internal world is better to have as a first impression. Of course, I am biased, as I have yet to see a movie that is better, much less equates, to the book.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Marie_vizuete

Post by Marie_vizuete »

It completely depends on what type of book/movie it is. I watched the Harry Potter movies before I read the books and I throughly enjoyed the books. Same with Game of Thrones. I'm caught up with the show and just started reading the first book and I'm enjoying it as well. There are cases that after watching the movie I have no interest in reading the book *cough* The Hunger Games *cough* but I personally think that helps me pick out what books I should and shouldn't read.
GuT

Post by GuT »

If I can, I always read book first. Because if movie is a fail, I will never read a book. And I prefer not to know how my book will end, but I feel okay with knowing movei ending. Weird, I guess :D
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

Book first! And I almost always think the book is wayyy better than the movie! I find it more satisfying to read the book and picture it the way I want to picture it, instead of watching it the way someone else pictured it.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
Kiera364

Post by Kiera364 »

I like to read the book first because I want the opportunity to imagine the characters/settings myself. After you watch the movie someone else has decided who the characters are and where exactly things take place, and I can't see anything but that when I read the book after which takes some of the fun out of it for me. Plus you miss so many details! They can't fit everything from a 400 page book in a 1 1/2 hour movie.
ChelseaRae2015
Currently Reading: Saint Anything
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearae2015.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by ChelseaRae2015 »

Book first definitely but I like to see the movie after. I like to compare the differences and sometimes I cant enjoy the movie if it's too different from the book because I'm focused on the changes or the things that didn't make it to the movie that should have.
latilock123
Reading Device: B00UZM2JKW

Post by latilock123 »

I usually read the book first, it's easier for me to understand the story and the characters that way.
TRomero0587
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tromero0587.html

Post by TRomero0587 »

Book First! I love seeing the differences. However, I did discover The Maze Runner series by watching the movie first. I had no Idea it was a book so I was thrilled to discover a new series.
pennyroyal

Post by pennyroyal »

always book first

-- 10 Feb 2016, 11:23 --
ChelseaRae2015 wrote:Book first definitely but I like to see the movie after. I like to compare the differences and sometimes I cant enjoy the movie if it's too different from the book because I'm focused on the changes or the things that didn't make it to the movie that should have.
this is me :lol:
EmilyHeather
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyheather.html

Post by EmilyHeather »

If you are available to be dissapointed by the movie, definitely read the book first. For me it is rare that I enjoy a movie after I have already read the book because there are often key parts of the story missing. I often feel like huge parts are skipped and that the story just can't be complete without them. On the hand, I would not want to watch the movie first either, as it could take away a bit of the excitement in reading the book if I already know the ending.
JenacideByBiblio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenacidebybiblio.html

Post by JenacideByBiblio »

BOOK ALL THE WAY! A book is where you get to really know your characters, the story, and the place in which it is set. A movie can give you the visuals, but a lot of times it doesn't leave me feeling like I know the characters. i would much rather form my own opinions and ideas of what things look like, rather than have Hollywood tell me what is what.

Return to “Films and Books”