Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
nina_429
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by nina_429 »

Books, for sure.
ColinWolcott23

Post by ColinWolcott23 »

In my experience the movie never stacks up to the book. perhaps I'm biased. Bias aside, films are usually compressed and often jump around alot where books are often presented in a more linear fashion. moreover you can take your time with them. I think this fundamental difference is what makes it so hard to adapt books into good films. what do you think?
cwfan2
Favorite Author: Efrain Palermo
Favorite Book: Alien Cartel
Currently Reading: Alien Cartel

Post by cwfan2 »

I prefer to read the book first. The author gives you information about the story line that the movie production company may deem unnecessary. Example: The Harry Potter movies would not make much sense if you never read the books.
Sue Nuckles
Content Writer
Hypocrisy is a virtue for a content writer.
DlVERGENT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DlVERGENT »

Book first, always book first.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
DarkTrick
Favorite Author: Maria V. Snyder
Favorite Book: I am The Great Horse
Currently Reading: Allies and Assassins
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darktrick.html

Post by DarkTrick »

Definitely book first for me, I really enjoy creating the setting and characters in my own mind before seeing someone else's interpretation.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

For me, always the book before the movie, I guess it depends on your preference.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
Shauna18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shauna18.html

Post by Shauna18 »

I always read the book first and the watch the movie. The director always changes something in the movie and of course you can't really get the full story from the movie. If I read the book first it helps me answer any questions I might have if I watched the movie first.
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

Book first... i wont read the book if i had seen the movie first.
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
Yangu_38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yangu-38.html

Post by Yangu_38 »

Book. Otherwise your idea of the characters is tainted
tristinrose
Currently Reading: When You Were Here
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristinrose.html

Post by tristinrose »

My goodness, I always prefer to read the book first. If my friends want me to go see a movie in the theaters (and it is something interesting) I try to get a copy of the book before we go. The actual watching of the movie just becomes me comparing it to the book half the time. For instance, the last movie I watched after the book was John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. Through the whole movie I actually got a little frustrated with certain parts they didn't choose to include in the movie. I still haven't found a movie that was better than the book... I believe another reason I read the book first is I don't want the end of the book to not be a surprise, the end of the book is the greatest. I prefer my imagination to make the book for me, not have it ruined by the movie.
SRenee

Post by SRenee »

I prefer the book first because I am pretty confident that the book will always be better than the movie. I also find that in many cases the movie would not make much sense or the significance of a particular scene is lost on me without reading the book prior to seeing the movie. When I watch the movie first, I tend to forget about the book and I don't bother coming back to it.
Umniyah
Currently Reading:

Post by Umniyah »

I would recommend reading the book first. I you watch the movie first you only see through someone else eyes what they want you to see. If you read the book first your mind creates the charcter and you create a different image as you see them.
Ladyshow78

Post by Ladyshow78 »

I prefer reading the book first. Then comparing it as I watch the movie for changes. Right now I can't for the movie based on Zane's book Addicted.
mamapeepo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamapeepo.html

Post by mamapeepo »

Book first! But, it does ruin the movie, cause the book is always best.
chloexny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloexny.html

Post by chloexny »

Always the book first for me, I will look up the film to get an idea of what the characters look like so I can image the film, but the film is never better than the books for me personally.

Return to “Films and Books”