Is a books condition important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SoftCoyote
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: Hawksong
Currently Reading: Through the Looking Glass
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-softcoyote.html
fav_author_id: 2544

Re: Is a books condition important?

Post by SoftCoyote »

As long as the cover isn't ripped off and there aren't any pages missing then yes I can enjoy a well used book. But if it's TOO beaten up it bugs me.
sheryl_s66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheryl-s66.html

Post by sheryl_s66 »

very!! thats why i have a hard time lending my books to anyone. last time i did that it had food stains on it!
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

As long as its readable, its fine. No pages missing or ripped and no writing.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
thebookworm4ever
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookworm4ever.html
fav_author_id: 3117

Post by thebookworm4ever »

It is important to me but its probably because having a ruined book I feel its like a beautiful creation being ruined.
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

It depends which collection a book is for in my personal "library." For the most part, I prefer my books to be in pristine condition. Most of my modern collectible books are immaculate: clean pages, no rips or bends, tight binding, etc. I go through every single copy in a bookstore to make sure I have the absolute perfect copy. I do my best to have these books be first edition, first printing and signed by the authors.

My reading copies are usually books in less-than-fine condition that I pick up in secondhand stores. They're usually classics that have a physical effect on my hands that just feels... right. Finding a reading copy has to feel perfect in every respect; it's like a treasure hunt for me. An example of one of my favorite books in this collection is my 1947 edition of Little Women. It's not collectible by any means, but it's gorgeous for all its noticeable flaws and age. And most importantly, it feels like it was meant to be in my hands.

I adore all books, but I do have my favorites for my two collections!
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I think both are good. When you pick up a brand new book, you get that amazing feeling that’s like you were the first one to touch the book, it looks nice and is perfect for your shelf. But I also think that well-worn and beat up books are enjoyable as well. Firstly because you’re enjoying the words in the book and the condition of the book. Secondly because you know that somebody else has read that book and probably enjoyed it, and you are excited to join into the journey of the book’s life.
My weekend is all booked!
KirstyJ1994
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirstyj1994.html

Post by KirstyJ1994 »

The condition of a book doesn't bother me. I get the majority of my books from the Library so they are in a range of different conditions but it doesn't affect my interest in the book. However, I do love reading a new book because they smell great! haha!
runnergirl13-1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runnergirl13-1.html

Post by runnergirl13-1 »

I'm not to picky but, i prefer one in good condition.
Beomatic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beomatic.html
Latest Review: "World of Myth II" by Travis Bughi

Post by Beomatic »

I think if it's a book that I really want to read, I can deal with it being torn or worn, but if it's a book that I just found browsing, I just prefer to have a book in nice condition :) .
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
Latest Review: "World of Myth II" by Travis Bughi
CourtneyRac1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneyrac1.html

Post by CourtneyRac1 »

I feel as though a books condition is important. It's new condition attracts me to reading the novel more.
AimeeElizabeth92

Post by AimeeElizabeth92 »

Yes, I will never get a book that is ripped or falling apart or written in (I have some like that from school which is fine because I did that myself), I don't mind a little bit of love, as I buy a lot of my book second hand from Charity Shops or online. However there is nothing better than getting a brand new pristine book. I have to fully admit my copy of Emma by Jane Austen has seen better days.
daniellewood94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniellewood94.html

Post by daniellewood94 »

I don't usually mind on the condition of a book - although a new book does smell great!
Superman747
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superman747.html

Post by Superman747 »

It depends on the book for me; if it is a book I really want the condition is not that important.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

As long as it's readable I really don't care. I'm a member of bookmooch where you can swap books back and forth, so it helps being someone like me who doesn't really care what the cover looks like. Sometimes the books look unread, other times they are very used and abused. It bothers me the most when you put down that your book is a very used and worn copy, and then people still complain that it's not in pristine condition. I want to just yell, "THAT'S WHAT I PUT IN THE CONDITION NOTES!" But some people just like to complain I suppose.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
meena_bakkam

Post by meena_bakkam »

It doesn't really matter much if all the pages are there. When I had a student's budget, books in any condition were welcome!
My copy of Maxim Gorky's "Mother" actually belonged to my aunt. So it has a special sentimental value for me, even though the cover is taped and many of the pages are held together by glue.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”