Is a books condition important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Re: Is a books condition important?

Post by robind13 »

As long as its readable, i'm fine with any condition
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

Now I buy primarily e-books, so condition isn't an issue. If I'm buying paper back I've started checking the size of the print margins relative to where the binding begins. I bought a set of 3 books by Terry Goodkind awhile back, and some of the print was actually in the binding. I really had to bend it to make it legible. The books were very captivating, however, so I overcame my annoyance and worked through it ;-).

The condition of a book beyond my ability to clearly read the words on a page is generally not relevant to me. Used books can be fun!
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
bedheadisme
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bedheadisme.html

Post by bedheadisme »

I love previously owned books. I like it when there are dog-eared pages and the old book smell has settled in. As long as there are no missing pages I don't mind what condition the book is in.
mamaoftwolittleones

Post by mamaoftwolittleones »

I think that if a book is worn then the book has been well used. that's how you can tell a good book on the shelf from the bad ones.
bedheadisme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bedheadisme.html

Post by bedheadisme »

mamaoftwolittleones wrote:I think that if a book is worn then the book has been well used. that's how you can tell a good book on the shelf from the bad ones.

I agree that if I see a very well worn book on the shelf I will more often than not pick it up. If I see that someone has gone through a book and there are a ton of places where they've dog-eared the book it tells me that the last person read the book more than once so it must be a good read.
Stella White 47
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-white-47.html

Post by Stella White 47 »

I don't mind if the book is well-used. However, I don't want to have the idea that someone was eating their dinner with their fingers, and there is grease, crumbs and the smell of rancid food left behind. This once kept me from reading a book that I really wanted to spend time with. I'd gotten it from inter-library loan, and it was the only copy.
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

I agree with Stella, I don't mind if a book is used, but I won't buy one where the binding is cracked or if there is a bad odor (rancid, greasy food and cigarettes) will turn me right off. I don't mind dog eared pages, I have been known to do that myself. I have to admit though, that I do love new books. There is just something about how the smell and feel... I mostly use an e-reader now but I still love traditional books. :)
Hailey_Gardner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-gardner.html

Post by Hailey_Gardner »

I feel if a book is worn down it must be a pretty good book if its been read enough to wear it down. Condition doesn't matter to me, unless its missing pages that's a whole other story
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

Almost all my books are from used stores s but I honestly prefer new books.It's that kind of excitement that in you when you first see the, the smell of the pages and the ink.I also like to know that I am the first one who ever opened this book.You're about to uncover a new treasure for the first time.Do you know that feeling.

-- Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:50 pm --

The book's condition is very important to me.I like just excellent condition for all my books preferably new although because I buy most of my books from used stores to save money;I really judge a book a lot by the condition.
(is it torn,bended,old,worn out? etc.) :)
--
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I used to think it was super important, and would only read new books. Then I realized how much cheaper used books are and I stopped minding so much. However, I always buy my favorite series and books from my favorite authors new, and keep them pristine.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Sometimes I actually prefer a well loved book. There's something about a book that has been read many times, it holds a history, a secret, has more than just the story on it's pages. I love that.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Not a problem either way.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

Sometimes the very best books are the well worn ones. It can mean that many people have enjoyed reading it!
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I can't handle a beat up book. Before my ereader, I use to love buying new books and extremely enjoy making the first creases in the spine! Having a book that has passed through so many hands and homes, I'm just not a fan of. Mostly because of the germaphobe side of me I suppose and the fact that it's mine! All mine! Ha ha
UVcandy+

Post by UVcandy+ »

I don't mind worn books, makes them more lovable :p

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”