Is a books condition important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
shantelren
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is a books condition important?

Post by shantelren »

NOPE! As long as I can read each page that's totally fine. If a book is worn and tattered to me it's because the previous readers have enjoyed it as well. They're just love marks ;)
CJDSpencer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjdspencer.html

Post by CJDSpencer »

I can handle "worn, and beat up" but I can't deal with a book that has been marked heavily. (It's a problem I used to face when buying used text books. I always sought out the ones that had obviously been owned by someone who didn't study) :D
cjmayes118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjmayes118.html

Post by cjmayes118 »

I prefer books that are in good condition. It helps me to not get distracted by pages that could be about to fall out of the book or constantly wondering if I turn the page too fast, will the whole book shatter? True, some treasures are to be found in well loved books, but I more often than not lean toward the books that are taken care of the most.
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Post by britt1125 »

I think that depends. If its just warn out by some one who loved it reading it over and over again that I would buy it. BUT if it's missing pages and looks like its be tossed around because it was just in someones way than i wont. i dont want to start a good book and miss out on like 3 chapters in the middle.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

As long as pages are not missing, then yes I can enjoy reading a well worn book. I have bought many used books so I am used to them being a bit worn. However, I tend to really take good care of the books that I bought brand new. I try not to wear them out too much.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

As has been said, as long as all the pages are there I'm usually okay with it. Unless, it has something crusty stuck to pages now and then, that tends to gross me out. Tissues please! :) Needs to smell reasonably new too.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I enjoy reading a beat up book and I don't mind if it smells a little musty either as long as no pages are missing and the story is worth it. I do like the smell of new books better though :)
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I personally love used books, as long as the spine is still in tact. Once the spine breaks and pages start falling out, that's when I think it's time to put it away somewhere and never let it be touched again.
My boyfriend, on the other hand, prefers to buy new books only. I think he likes knowing that he is the first person to ever touch the pages of the book -- he is kind of a germophobe, I think.
reginabally
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reginabally.html
Latest Review: "Death Takes A Lover" by Olivier Bosman

Post by reginabally »

It depends on how bad the condition is for the book. If it has yellowish spots or the paper has become yellowish it's okay, what I couldn't tolerate are dog-ears and creases at spine. So most of the time I would go for brand new books.
A SAHM who reads and shares reviews on her blog.
Latest Review: "Death Takes A Lover" by Olivier Bosman
OnionPickle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onionpickle.html

Post by OnionPickle »

No. I prefer reading old worn out books because it feels... I don't know... calm and I love the smell. The only time I stopped reading an old book was when there were dead bugs squished in every page.
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

Everyone loves a clean book... I guess, but I do visit secondhand bookstores and have bought many secondhand books before... and have found most of my best interesting books there, for which I am very grateful I did! Once I bought a book that where literally falling apart in 3 parts...I bought it and read it and underlined it and wrote in it, enjoyed it thoroughly! I kept it in a A5 plastic chiffy while reading it, which helped keeping it together. I did try to bind it with cellotape, but wasn't really successful. I don't mind the condition at all, when it interest me and gets my attention, I buy it and read it... sometimes I find interesting "things" in it, as it is secondhand! I tend to clean secondhand books first...after buying it, before reading it. At least the front and back covers...with something antiseptic or alcholic based. Some of the books are really very old and have been published many many years back, but if the topic catches my heart and mind, I want it and will stick to it! Be grateful I found it!
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

If I can read the words, I'll take it. I guess I've gotten used to yellow, old, brittle, books because I like to read my Grandfather's books, and some of those are at least 50 years old. I like the old, musty book smell, though new books have a certain charm too...
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
MaryMathis

Post by MaryMathis »

Yes it is very important to keep the book in a good condition. The dust jacket is very important for factors affecting the value. For reading book also it is very necessary to keep book in good condition.
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

Getting a new book, for me, is like buying a new car. Any scratch or bend in the pages infuriates me, but reading an old book doesn't bother me. It's what's inside that counts.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

New books I like to be pristine, while older books can be in not so great condition.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”