Most unusual book you have ever read

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Most unusual book you have ever read

Post by Bighuey »

This could be a fun one. The most unusual book I have ever read was called Wreck of the Titan by Morgan Robertson. Its about a supposedly unsinkable ship called the Titan that struck an iceberg in the north Atlantic in April and sank, killing most of the people on board, because there were not enough lifeboats. Thing is, this book was written in 1898, 14 years before the Titantic went down.
Moore
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Moore »

The most unusual book I have ever read was Time's Arrow by Martin Amis as the actions in the book were in the reserve order starting from death and finishing with birth.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

That does sound different, like reading a book from back to front.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I would go with A Clockwork Orange which i found to be a very unusual book in terms of writing style and characters, probably famed for its bizarre torture and graphic imagery scenes.
You only live once.....so live!
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Whenever I am asked this question "The Gormenghast Trilogy" by Mervyn Peake always jumps into my mind. It is a bizarre dark gothic novel full of murder and treachery. The blurb on the back reads,

"Gormenghast is the vast crumbling castle to which the seventy-seventh Earl, Titus Groan, is Lord and heir. Gothic labyrinth of roofs and turrets, cloisters and corridors, stairwells and dungeons, it is also the cobwebbed kingdom of Byzantine government and age-old ritual, a world primed to implode beneath the weight of centuries of intrigue, treachery, manipulation and murder in a world suggested in a tour de force that ranks as one of the century's most remarkable feats of imaginative writing."
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Lola82

Post by Lola82 »

Moore wrote:The most unusual book I have ever read was Time's Arrow by Martin Amis as the actions in the book were in the reserve order starting from death and finishing with birth.
kinda sounds similar to the plot in the Curious Case of Benjamin Button... or at least the reverse order from death to birth, although he wasn't born dead, but born old and then decreased in age as life progressed...
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

The Color of her Panties by Piers Anthony. And no, it's not THAT kind of book! I actually enjoyed it for all it's quirkiness!
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

"House of Leaves" by Daniel Danielewski, it's genre is horror and at least to me it was quite scary. Aside from the story being a bit off putting in it self the way the book was written is beyond odd. For instance there will be pages with just on word or a sentence written on one of the edges of the page. It all works to leave you with a very unsettling read.

The book also has a very active fan base. In the book there is a video described called the "Navidson Record" some fans have taken it upon themselves to recreate the videos on youtube. Great stuff.

Awesome book, I highly recommend it.
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
Nullifygirls

Post by Nullifygirls »

it is most wanted.
Enderzshadow

Post by Enderzshadow »

Orson Scott Cards "Treason"
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

The most unusual was "Hopscotch" by Julio Cortazar. It could be read in two different ways: normally or skipping the chapters (the number of the next chapter was in the end of each one). And then the story slightly differs.
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
Kchirgwi

Post by Kchirgwi »

I can't remember the title of the book, but it goes something like this...

An investigation of a town and it's recent missing people/murders. The story is set in an old mining town and the murder is revealed to be a dragon.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Wish you could remember the name of it, it sounds like a good one. Ive been reading some stories by Ambrose Bierce, he had an unusual way with words. His Civil War story, Chicamauga, was weird in a gruesome sort of way.
Evapohler

Post by Evapohler »

Perfume by Patrick Suskind--a masterful study in the sense of smell in literature, but dark and eerie.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Evapohler wrote:Perfume by Patrick Suskind--a masterful study in the sense of smell in literature, but dark and eerie.
Have you watched the movie?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”