Most unusual book you have ever read

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Re: Most unusual book you have ever read

Post by bluemel4 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Oh. HA HA HA.

That reminds me of the Nothing in the Neverending Story. Weird.
The Nothing in the Never Ending Story was more of a destructive force. This is more like a science project gone wrong.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You know, I may have to look into this book.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:You know, I may have to look into this book.
Just because it is "unusual" doesn't mean it is bad. I actually really enjoyed it. But man is it weird.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I agree. I like unusual. Some of the weirdest books I've read took me somewhere incredible, and some had me sobbing when I least expected it.
Zachary11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zachary11 »

The most unusual book I've ever read is probably also my favorite book--Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I'm actually surprised it hasn't come up yet in this discussion considering House of Leaves has and House of Leaves has a number of spookily coincidental overlaps.

For example:
The use of footnotes (obviously)
A plot that revolves around an enigmatic film
and, most spooky of all, House of Leaves has a main character, the protagonist's wife I believe, who shares a name with David Foster Wallace's widow--Karen Green (I do not believe the real Karen Green and Mr. Wallace were together at the time of HOLs publication)

Anyway, Infinite Jest is the most unusual book I've read because it really pushed postmodernism a step further (earning the newly coined phrase 'post-postmodernism (a movement which House of Leaves would be part of)) with its arc plot and its use of invented words and language as well as its control of a type of story telling one could only describe as 'Maximalist'. The only other book I can think of that was that unusual for its time is Moby Dick which was Modernist before Modernism was cool.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I really liked The Awakening by Kate Chopin when I read it for college. I think it was considered riotous in its time because of its ending. It's not something that would scandalize today--think, Thirteen Reasons Why--but at the time, it had people up in arms, I think.
Dave
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Dave »

One of the most unusual books I've ever read was WWIII by John Stanley. It was written in the 70s & I read it when I was in high school. I've reread it several times over the years & it never fails to amuse. The book centers on a squad of American soldiers lost behind enemy lines during a ground war in China set in the 1990s. This squad is lead by "Sarge", a salty old non-com who claims to have served in every one of America's wars, from the Revolution on. Other squad members are Pvt. Youngman, who wants to write the Great American War Novel. He writes throughout the book & Sarge critiques his work like a book editor. Charlie Brown is a young private who constantly watches old classic tv shows on a small device. Throw in a band of killer chimpanzees trained by the allies to raise havoc behind enemy lines, a squad of Chinese soldiers tracking the chimps, who led by an ancient general who was a survivor of Chairman Mao's Long March. Add a group of USO performers led a by a Greek dance troup, who are actually searching for a legendary Chinese treasure, & you have one helluva book. It is a riot.
TrisNook
Favorite Author: JK Rowling
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and Order of The Phoenix (Harry Potter #5)
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by TrisNook »

The most unusual book I've read was Prep by Curtis Settinfeld which was about a girl that fought and fought to go to a private school far away and then hated it and hated herself there and was miserable the whole time. It was really good but the character was self destructive and it made the whole book weird.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

TrisNook wrote:The most unusual book I've read was Prep by Curtis Settinfeld which was about a girl that fought and fought to go to a private school far away and then hated it and hated herself there and was miserable the whole time. It was really good but the character was self destructive and it made the whole book weird.
I read that book too! Well, most of it. I completely agree. The MC's painful shyness that never went away just ate away at me, the reader. I mean, it seemed realistic, but maybe too much so.
Freethinker

Post by Freethinker »

Like others have said, Perfume by Patrick Suskind was unusual. I wasn't sure if I can say I enjoyed it; more fascinated & intrigued. I LOVED the ending 8) Another book worth a mentioned The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but I don't think I could have guessed what would happen in a million years! :shock:
sus
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sus.html

Post by sus »

Waiting for the Barbarians by J.M. Coetzee was unusual. Blood kin by Ceridwen Dovey which I just finished is also a little unusual. I've read Perfume by Suskind as well and I found that unusual but its been quite a while since I read that one.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Forty Acres by Dwayne Alexander Smith. A twist on slavery and bigotry.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Reme726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reme726.html

Post by Reme726 »

Recently read a young adult novel entitled What Jaime Saw , the ending was the part that really had me left with a confused face . The book starts with a step father flinging an infant across the room ... Pretty strange book
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

Melaniep wrote:The Color of her Panties by Piers Anthony. And no, it's not THAT kind of book! I actually enjoyed it for all it's quirkiness!
That is a fabulous book, all of the Xanth series are, and they're all quirky.

I just finished The Years of Rice and Salt a few minutes ago, and that is my pick. The same characters live through many incarnations and hundreds of years. It is also a history that differs from reality, which makes for a really fascinating look at what could have been.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

Overbite by Meg Cabot. I love her books and I love vampires, so I thought I'd give it a try. I found the quite unusual, and the ending just confused me.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”