Your emotions take over you while reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
VerdeMar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Your emotions take over you while reading ?

Post by VerdeMar »

Do you laugh/cry when reading a book? I laughed a lot once and the problem was that I was around people... they tought I was crazy. Anyone to share this burden ?

PS: I do not cry! : )
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Yes i do laugh a lot at books if there are some funny moments in it, i get angry at injustices in some non-fiction books i have read but i dont get upset or cry much at books, the exception being the end of The Graveyard Book which kinda floored me out of the blue.

I tend to take statements like "I cried the whole way through the book" with a pinch of salt. Really? You cried that much during it, must be a lot of hyper sensitive people out there. That sort of nonsense is just the PR spin to sell books.
Last edited by StephenKingman on 24 Apr 2011, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
You only live once.....so live!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

VerdeMar wrote:Do you laugh/cry when reading a book? I laughed a lot once and the problem was that I was around people... they tought I was crazy. Anyone to share this burden ?

Jesus wept .... why not VerdeMar?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

I have definitely been emotionally invested is some book, sometime laughing and I've teared up before. I don't see how people who read wouldn't get an emotional charge out of some stories why else would you read other than knowledge.
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

I laugh over books too. I try to just smile when I'm around people not to look like a lunatic :P I rarely cry but I did couple of times.
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
VerdeMar

Post by VerdeMar »

Fran wrote:
VerdeMar wrote:Do you laugh/cry when reading a book? I laughed a lot once and the problem was that I was around people... they tought I was crazy. Anyone to share this burden ?

I do not know, maybe because I am kind of a cold person even if I do not seem to be, my short life experience "made" me insensitive. Unconsciously I just became like this. For example when I watch a movie about the Holocaust I do not get impressed (in the first time, it was shocking), I feel nothing more can shock me now after what I have seen and what I seen in the news. If I saw a guy getting killed in front of me would be different, if a book can "put me in that situation" maybe who knows, the author would need to be 100x times more skilled than Ernest Hermingway at writting in my opinion. With words it is more difficult to transport people to another dimension, that is why when an author can do that he/she is talented (quite few can do this).
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

VerdeMar wrote:
Fran wrote:

I do not know, maybe because I am kind of a cold person even if I do not seem to be, my short life experience "made" me insensitive. Unconsciously I just became like this. For example when I watch a movie about the Holocaust I do not get impressed (in the first time, it was shocking), I feel nothing more can shock me now after what I have seen and what I seen in the news. If I saw a guy getting killed in front of me would be different, if a book can "put me in that situation" maybe who knows, the author would need to be 100x times more skilled than Ernest Hermingway at writting in my opinion. With words it is more difficult to transport people to another dimension, that is why when an author can do that he/she is talented (quite few can do this).
I cried over 'The Kite Runner' & 'The Book Thief' and I laughed out loud reading 'Skippy Dies' & 'A short history of tractors in Ukrainian' and there have been lots of books that made me laugh & cry. I cry over unfairness and someone being cruel or bullying to a child rather than actual violence. I get very emotionally involved with characters which of course also means that sometimes I get angry with them too.
A good cry is very therapeutic.
:cry:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

StephenKingman wrote: I tend to take statements like "I cried the whole way through the book" with a pinch of salt. Really? You cried that much during it, must be a lot of hyper sensitive people out there. That sort of nonsense is just the PR spin to sell books.
There has been one book I've read in my life that I would consider using that phrase while describing. It was A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer. No, I did not literally cry on every single page from cover to cover. But I did cry at least ten times. I don't consider myself hyper-sensitive, but reading about that level of child abuse and neglect from a first-hand account really got to me.

Other than that specific book, usually if there is a particularly sad part in a book, I will tear up, but they don't fall. And in funny parts, I'll usually smile, but very rarely laugh out loud.[/i]
Jp1978

Post by Jp1978 »

I laugh a lot, feel anger and outrage a lot, get teary-eyed a little.

@Stephen Kingman

I wasn't expecting that ending either, but when I think about it it couldn't have ended any other way.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Ive read some books that have made me emotionial, the only one I can think of that made me want to cry was a short story called Dogstar by Arthur C. Clarke. He had a talent for putting you into the story, and feeling the emotions of the characters. As for books that have made me laugh, a friend gave me a book receintly called How to Fish Good. I laughed on every page, it kind of reminded of the tv series The Red Green show.
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

Tip the Bottle wrote:I have definitely been emotionally invested is some book, sometime laughing and I've teared up before. I don't see how people who read wouldn't get an emotional charge out of some stories why else would you read other than knowledge.
I get emotional but I do not resort of crying. Maybe because I've been affected by the society's stereotype in men. :wink: :wink:
Denverman1

Post by Denverman1 »

GotThatSwing wrote:I laugh over books too. I try to just smile when I'm around people not to look like a lunatic :P I rarely cry but I did couple of times.
I totally know what is like! Im completely the same! :wink:
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Sometimes when I am alone I try to get in to reading as much as I can.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Kchirgwi

Post by Kchirgwi »

It took a long time for me to ever laugh, cry, get angry... at movies or books. I was not mature enough to have the story effect my emotions. Now that I am older, been through things, I am effected all the time by art and I am happy to be effected so. I think it is good, it makes me feel good and I know someone else out there can touch my soul.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I cried at the end of "Tale of two Cities", then when I read it a second time, I cried again. That ending always gets me.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”