Getting Children Interested In Reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Re: Getting Children Interested In Reading

Post by Fran »

steve p wrote:I don't know if my son (14) has ever finished reading a novel in his life. It upsets me a great deal at what he's missing, but nothing I can do seems to get him interested in reading fiction. maybe it's a generation thing, because kids seem not to do many things that I did when little (playing outside, for instance).

steve
I've no real scientific proof but it's my opinion that boys generally prefer to read non-fiction rather than fiction ..... even as adults women in general read far more fiction than men. I have brothers who wouldn't read a novel to save their lives but can't get enough of biographies and autobiographies of various sports stars.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
lincolnp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lincolnp »

I can't find that one thing that seems to "grab" my daughter. She had been looking covetously at my Kindle, so I got her one for Christmas. She blew through 2 books - A Boy Called It and a sequel, but that is as far as it has gone. We go to the library (which she loves) and book stores (which she loves even more - but I find her looking at games and crafts rather than books). We get books from the library, we get books at the store, I've ordered books from the Scholastic Book Club through school - and they just sit there... Help!
steve p

Post by steve p »

Fran wrote:
steve p wrote:I don't know if my son (14) has ever finished reading a novel in his life. It upsets me a great deal at what he's missing, but nothing I can do seems to get him interested in reading fiction. maybe it's a generation thing, because kids seem not to do many things that I did when little (playing outside, for instance).

steve
I've no real scientific proof but it's my opinion that boys generally prefer to read non-fiction rather than fiction ..... even as adults women in general read far more fiction than men. I have brothers who wouldn't read a novel to save their lives but can't get enough of biographies and autobiographies of various sports stars.
You're right, Fran, in that he will read non-fiction, and I wonder if I'm wrong in thinking he should touch fiction more (after all, we are all as we are, if you follow my meaning, and I should let him be his own personality).

steve

-- 30 Mar 2012, 12:26 --
lincolnp wrote:I can't find that one thing that seems to "grab" my daughter. She had been looking covetously at my Kindle, so I got her one for Christmas. She blew through 2 books - A Boy Called It and a sequel, but that is as far as it has gone. We go to the library (which she loves) and book stores (which she loves even more - but I find her looking at games and crafts rather than books). We get books from the library, we get books at the store, I've ordered books from the Scholastic Book Club through school - and they just sit there... Help!
I guess us adults are all in the same boat, then!

steve
oinkystudio

Post by oinkystudio »

It's best that while a child is still at a very early stage, the parents will read the books for them. Spending quality time together will encourage the child to read.
IVY

Post by IVY »

I want to love reading. and I first should look some interesting books and develop reading skills.
TopazGyrl

Post by TopazGyrl »

Another way to get children interested in reading is to read to them as they grow. I am 15 years old and my favorite thing to do is read. My mom read to me every day when I was little and now I can happily turn off the television, get a good book, and read for hours at a time.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

This article was in our Sunday newspaper and I thought it worth passing along:

Quote "An Italian study has found that children with Dyslexia showed signs of it before they could read. The study tested kindergarten children on their ability to filter relevant-versus-irrelevant visual information, then followed their progress for three years. Children who initially had trouble with visual attention later struggled with reading. Researchers say this could lead to earlier treatment for at-risk children and smoother transitions into reading."
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Candis
Favorite Author: Rob Thurman
Favorite Book: Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Relic by Preston and Child
fav_author_id: 2925

Post by Candis »

I love this article. For the first decade of my life, I was raised by grandparents who turned on the tv for only an hour a day. And that was strictly for Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. The rest of the time, they were reading. They never pressured me to read, but there was nothing else to do and the house was filled with books. I learned to read from Reader's Digests. Since I learned to read, you never see me without a book in my hand.

Conversely, my younger siblings were raised by my mother, who used the television as a babysitter. My siblings have never picked up a book for pleasure reading, solely reading what they are required to in school. It's sad. They are missing out on so much.
Annife

Post by Annife »

Interesting post. Amazon kindl help a lot in this issue..
nana2002
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nana2002.html
Latest Review: "Comeback Love" by Peter Golden

Post by nana2002 »

All of my children love to read I think it is because I started reading to them at a very early age.
Latest Review: "Comeback Love" by Peter Golden
tcarter78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcarter78.html

Post by tcarter78 »

I have a 7yr old and 12yr old who have developed a keen interest in reading. I think the fact that I always have my nose in some kind of book and have them piled throughout the house has helped in some way, as well as the numerous trips to the library...it's a great feeling to attend parent-teacher interviews and be told that both children are well above their expected literacy levels.
Th3LadyH

Post by Th3LadyH »

tcarter78 wrote:I have a 7yr old and 12yr old who have developed a keen interest in reading. I think the fact that I always have my nose in some kind of book and have them piled throughout the house has helped in some way, as well as the numerous trips to the library...it's a great feeling to attend parent-teacher interviews and be told that both children are well above their expected literacy levels.

I think this has a lot to do with whether or not kids want to read. If they see their parents reading and loving reading they are much more likely to read themselves. My parents read to me every night even as I got older and could read for myself. I loved the time spent with them and loved the stories being read to me. We also went to the library every week. I never stopped loving books! Hopefully your kids won't stop enjoying reading either!
Cj-Ca-Ej

Post by Cj-Ca-Ej »

I love the idea of praising a child for reading well. I will certainly make a mental note of that for the next time my niece wants to read me Green Eggs and Ham.
a_b_syed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-syed.html

Post by a_b_syed »

This is a great article Scott! I completely agree that limiting TV is the key to getting almost anything else done! Also starting them early I think, is vital. The trouble is, now, there is not just TV but all the social media sites and games and all sorts to keep them distracted. I even find it hard enough to stop them doing things while we eat !

I'm sure just switching off will work to get us oldies reading too :)
theniceiceman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theniceiceman.html

Post by theniceiceman »

Great post. I have a 16 year old brother, and I have the hardest time encouraging him to read. He is a terrible speller, and he has a very limited vocabulary. Even simple words like "decapitate", that most people know the meaning of, he doesn't. I tell him often, "Look, reading will be good fro you. It will help your spelling and you'll learn the meaning of words." He just won't have anything to do with it, sigh.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”