Getting Children Interested In Reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Re: Getting Children Interested In Reading

Post by lady_charlie »

Children need to see you reading - unfortunately as I get older my daughter frequently sees me asleep with a book on my lap. That counts, though.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MandiKenendy »

lady_charlie wrote:Children need to see you reading - unfortunately as I get older my daughter frequently sees me asleep with a book on my lap. That counts, though.

I agree. Boys need to see men reading as well so they don't associate it with something women do.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
A_Marcella
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-marcella.html

Post by A_Marcella »

My oldest son had an interest in reading as much as I did when I was a little girl, however, my youngest son seemed to despise it. I never thought I would get him interested in reading until I started to help with his required reading for school by reading it dramatically out loud. He seemed to connect with rhythms of words and liked to dramatically read aloud in return. My son started to come alive with an interest for reading. What also worked for him since he is more of a hands on type of little guy is I would ask him to read where I was at in a cook book I was using while cooking a recipe. Then, I would ask him what I needed next. My youngest seemed to enjoy "doing" through reading.

I also started reading young adult series with my oldest son so we could discuss them together. I enjoy the bonding reading together creates. He is 13 and heading into the teen years, so I am trying to keep as many connections with him as I can as he grows up.
sheenasmith0715

Post by sheenasmith0715 »

My 9 year old son is autistic, and I keep buying him every book I can find with subject material that interests him, but it has yet to spark anything with him as a reader. I have a basic kindle, but I think I'm going to buy my son a kindle fire in an attempt to make books more appealing. Ultimately, he may not turn out to be the reader I had hoped for, and that's ok, but until then, I'm going to keep trying to introduce him to as many books as possible.
sorgb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorgb.html

Post by sorgb »

I think the key to getting a child to enjoy reading is to pick a genre that excites them or interests them. The more they read books they like the more likely they will understand and appreciate other genres and why they are enjoyed by others.
glattml
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glattml.html

Post by glattml »

I am a school librarian at a junior high. We are lucky that there is such a boom in YA publishing right now. Students gravitate toward these books that are just for them. Right now paranormal romance is HUGE among the girls still (thank you, Twilight). And I know too much TV is bad, but when I am suggesting books to kids I often ask what they like to watch so I can find a good match.
michelesbooksplus

Post by michelesbooksplus »

Encouraging children to read can be very difficult. I found, initially, that comics (or more animated matter) helped attract their attention and then gradually take them forward to want to find out 'what happens next' for themselves. 'More than 1000 Brain Friendly Tools' was helpful as well. Getting used to seeing the written form, together phrasing and punctuation, can only be a benefit with future ventures. :)
kamrensmum
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: city of glass
Currently Reading: the pain merchants by janince hardy
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by kamrensmum »

My son loves book at first he riped them up now
he loves the pictures and is trying to read them at nearly
five years old
kerryd83

Post by kerryd83 »

Thank you for this article. I do encourage my children to read, and when giving them the option to read or watch television I am always delighted that they choose to open a book first.
cammelia

Post by cammelia »

I am a parent to three children. The oldest loves to read books or anything he can find. The two younger ones are reluctant to read. However, I have noticed that my middle child, after having entered high school is reading for pleasure more now than she has in the past. When she blurts out her ability to read and comprehend she always puts herself down. As a parent it hurts that she does not have confidence in herself. I always encourage her to read more. My last child was wounded by a teacher when she was in the first grade concerning her reading ability. It has been an uphill struggle from that point on in my attempts to raise her confidence level and her intereset in reading. I do get frustrated at times , I can admit. All of the suggestions listed here I have tried. If anyone can give me any more advice on how to raise the confidence of my two younger children and boost their willingness to pick up a book and read it from cover to cover for the simple reason of enjoyment would be greatly appreciated.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

One of the most important factors in raising a reader is setting an example. Kids learn a lot through their role models. If there are books in the house and times through the day when the adults of the house are wrapped in a good book...your kids are seeing that. If there is a TV in every room and the idiot box is on 24/7 the kids are seeing that too.
It's not about making yourself or your children read...it's demonstrating what a pleasure it is. The library can be an outing to look forward to. A lot of libraries and bookstores have all kinds of programs for kids, get involved.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
Readingisfundamental
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingisfundamental.html

Post by Readingisfundamental »

Too many parents use television as a "let's keep the kids busy for hours and hours as a pseudo-babysitter" device. Of course, it doesn't help that there's so many television channels now. When I was a kid we had tv over the antenna and we only got 3 channels (2 english, 1 french). There was a really good chance there was absolute zilch on tv that was good so might as well read. :mrgreen:

I'm lucky in that when my kids (5 & 3) do want to watch tv they want to watch the "let's help you read" shows like Super Why.
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Post by AliceRose »

I have a newborn son, I would love him to get into reading like I did when I was a child. When he's old enough I'm going to read him bedtime stories. Unfortunately my husband isn't really a reader, he's into computer games and gadgets, so I think my son will probably take after him. Although saying that, my mother doesn't read, so I don't know where I got my love for books from!
greencat7

Post by greencat7 »

Coming from a teenager, what I would have wanted when i was younger is to have had a choice to read. I dislike being forced to do something but if the option is there I am more likely to choose it and enjoy it. Something else I think is important is get colorful books, even the coloring books that have story's as well. Make it fun! Get a bean bag or special chair,put in a corner and make it the reading corner!
stotle71
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stotle71.html
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by stotle71 »

lady_charlie wrote:Children need to see you reading - unfortunately as I get older my daughter frequently sees me asleep with a book on my lap. That counts, though.

This is spot-on. Children learn a great deal from what we tell them, but they learn so much more from what we show them.

My teens are both avid readers (of very different genres) and my youngest (just two-and-a-half) won't go anywhere or do anything without a book in her hands. The little one has had the extra benefit of seeing two older sisters who love to read as well as a mom who loves to read. (Dad reads, but he's definitely not obsessed like us girls). :-)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”