Getting Children Interested In Reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Getting Children Interested In Reading

Post by Books_are_Life »

This is a great article that gives me lots of thoughts about how I want to teach people about reading once I start as an educator and a parent one day. Thank you everyone for the very insightful and conflicting comments it has given me lots to think about.
romance-reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by romance-reader »

We have been reading to our son since he was three months old. It is part of his bedtime routine. He is now four and loves books. Children love to spend quality time with their parents. Reading to them everyday can only create good memories and a love of books.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Reading to children at an early age is always good, as they can hear your voice at the least and that is usually quite soothing for them. Plus, you will have the added benefits of them enjoying books being one of their earliest memories! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

I have three granddaughters. The middle one does not seem to like to read. I constantly work with her to show her the marvels of reading. The funny thing is she is an excellent writer but she can not seem to get into a book. I am still working with her and hoping to improve her results. Thanks for sharing the article.
mashamashamasha

Post by mashamashamasha »

Start 'em young. My baby brother and sister LOVE books, although at age three and a half, they're not exactly readers. Kids learn a lot by example, though, especially at a formative age. They see me reading and think it's cool - which it is, duh - which makes them want to "play" with their books.

I've also successfully convinced my then-tween stepbrother of the benefits of reading... so I think that in a lot of these situations, my "power" or convincing factor was that I am NOT a parent. Having a family member or family friend (who's the one your kids think is the cool aunt/uncle? Recruit him/her!) talk to kids will also help a TON. Everyone knows that parents are weirdos that can't be trusted, even if what they say makes sense, but hearing it come from an independent source can make a huge difference!
teddy746
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddy746.html

Post by teddy746 »

I have a little sister (8 years old) and I'm trying to encourage her to read. So far I've tried everything listed in this article, but she still doesn't seem to like any of the books I give her, including my all time favorite - Harry Potter (so far just the first book, keep in mind she's eight.) I also tried simplifying and retelling the stories to her. Do you have any trick that could work? Any book (80-150 pages) she could read? That would be a really big help!
mashamashamasha

Well, what does she like? What are her interests? Some kids just don't like fantasy (which is weird) or Harry Potter (which is worse, because HP is great for kids that age, assuming it piques their interest). Have you tried listening to any audio books? She might get interested in it that way. What about reading with her at night, like a bedtime story? Also, depending on her interests, maybe a book with a female protagonist would be more interesting to her, or a character that likes something she enjoys.

Maybe she'd like reading things like Sweet Valley Twins (and that ilk of books - basically, those long series for kids), which granted is hardly high literature, but something I remember liking at around that age (it helped that I was learning English and they didn't use particularly complex vocabulary).

If that doesn't work, there's always good old fashioned bribery and scorn.
teddy746

Post by teddy746 »

She likes playing pretend, in this way she's really creative. Also she draws a lot, but most kids do in this age. She was born in the digital age, so she has a tablet and a mobile phone, thus she spends an awful lot of her free time swiping her fingers on their screens.
You mentioned audio books, that's what I tried at first. But she got through twenty minutes of HP1 and then said she's bored (that's what I don't get, that's the most interesting part where everything begins!) As bedtime stories I simplify stories from the books I've read and I tell them to her. So far she likes 'the story about the girl on fire and the boy with the bread' the most.

I'm gonna try and buy Sweet Valley Twins for her as a Christmas gift, that way she won't be able to reject it. Thanks for the tip!
mashamashamasha

One thing you could try doing to be kind of sneaky is telling her part of a story and getting her to read the rest to find out what happens :)
teddy746

Post by teddy746 »

That's a good idea! Thanks, I'll try that the next time I'll be visiting her :)
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

I love this, as a child my parents were never readers and because of that they never bought me books, even if I wanted them so I jumped on the reading train a little late
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Librarygeek1980
Favorite Author: Joselle Vanderhooft
Favorite Book: do I have to pick just one
Currently Reading: Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarygeek1980.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Librarygeek1980 »

As a librarian, children's storytime helps, plus with most stuff going to graphic novels now, it's a great start. Another start is to match the book to cater to what the child is interested in at the moment( ie, mine craft, superheroes, comic books, ponies,etc

-- 10 Nov 2014, 18:29 --

[quote="mashamashamasha"]Well, what does she like? What are her interests? Some kids just don't like fantasy (which is weird) or Harry Potter (which is worse, because HP is great for kids that age, assuming it piques their interest). Have you tried listening to any audio books? She might get interested in it that way. What about reading with her at night, like a bedtime story? Also, depending on her interests, maybe a book with a female protagonist would be more interesting to her, or a character that likes something she enjoys.

Maybe she'd like reading things like Sweet Valley Twins (and that ilk of books - basically, those long series for kids), which granted is hardly high literature, but something I remember liking at around that age (it helped that I was learning English and they didn't use particularly complex vocabulary).

If that doesn't work, there's always good old fashioned bribery and scorn.[/quote

Sweet valley series, and the Baby Sitters club series got me started along with The Chocolate Touch.
librarydancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarydancer.html

Post by librarydancer »

At eight, she is probably just beginning to explore genres. I would try Magic Tree House, if you haven't already. Perhaps the modern American Girl stories -- McKenna is a gymnast & Saige? Is interested in art.
Lots of great books/authors for that age. Keep trying & you will find something to interest her. I have a 9 year, so let me know if you would like more suggestions. I am also a librarian.
L25

Post by L25 »

yes i agree. my husband and i myself decided, if we have a kid one day then we are going to read to her from the time of conception. because reading make children to think wisely and make their own decisions. it will teach them everything they need to know. there is no better companion than a book
tigermyst99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigermyst99.html

Post by tigermyst99 »

It is a great article. I have three children all in different stages. The oldest one is 15 and has recently started reading every young adult paranormal series that she can get her hands on. Personally, I tell her to go for it. Reading is reading and will help improve her skills. The context doesn't matter as much as the actual effort used. My middle one and the youngest are 11 and 9. They are starting to read more, but it is a struggle to find things that they actually want to read. I have become a big fan of answering the kids questions by telling them that "I don't know the answer, so you should go and Google it." It makes them do the reading and research. Then they come back and tell me the answer, so that "I will know for next time".

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”