Getting Children Interested In Reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
tessdelac10381
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Getting Children Interested In Reading

Post by tessdelac10381 »

Kids can easily get hooked to reading if they will be in an environment where reading is a priority.They learn the value of reading when they see others doing the same thing. As a teacher,I give a special time for independent reading and storytelling everyday.I make sure that my classroom library is inviting to encourage kids to sit at our reading corner,grab a book,and be excited to finish reading it.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

These are are all great suggestions. The library is the best place to start when it comes to children and reading. They can mingle with children their own age, check out books, frequently attend story time and other activities that is offered at the library. If children begin reading at a young age it will always stay with them we'll into adulthood.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

The only way I can get children/kids to read is by bribing them. I would say that I would give them a piece of Chocolate if they read 5 chapters. This would get them reading instantly. Thanks for the advice btw! It's a pain to waste money on candy all the time! :P
I am a free spirit
like mafia
AJMartin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajmartin.html

Post by AJMartin »

Reading to kids from the time they are little is a good way to get them interested. Making reading part of your fun time with your children and reading with expression help them get interested and become eager to learn to read on their own.
Maashellee

Post by Maashellee »

Lead by example.
My brother used to read to me a lot when I was a child and my mother has always been a reader.
My father does not like reading but he will look through a books like "100 fun facts" etc. So I can't really say that he is not around books at all.

I learned to read at a very young age and read my first "big, adult book" when I was about 6 and my love for reading has been interrupted only because of studies that involved a lot of professional reading which destroys any wish for additional reading afterwards.

However, I love reading with kids and to kids. Read with them and then act out different scenes form the books. Tell them stories. Talk with them about books and give them books that require them to think. And read yourself. If they see you reading, they will follow your example.
MrsBoshoff1907
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsboshoff1907.html

Post by MrsBoshoff1907 »

At a young age children should be introduced to the amazing world of reading. Not only does it help them to learn, but it stimulates them intellectually by enhancing their imaginations and their abilities to come up with original ideas. I feel that parents should be role models in this sense because children copy their parents in most cases.
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

This is definitely true for me. Since I was a baby, my mom read to me and I knew how to read simple things before kindergarten (most kids now don't even know their letters), and my dad told me stories. My mom is a bookworm, so I'm lucky to always have new books around. Also an important part is to give kids books they're interested in. Many kids now don't like reading solely because they can't find books that interest them so they give up, thinking "all books are this boring".
bprovost14

Post by bprovost14 »

Great article! Reading is so important, particularly as a child. I have seen students learn amazing things from books and have seen their eyes open to new worlds through literature! As far as getting them to read, I believe that it all starts at home. If children see that their parents value reading (because they see them doing it for themselves) then they will learn the value of reading as well. It is important to read to and with our children, but it is also important to have them see us reading for our own pleasure as well.
brooklynegan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklynegan.html

Post by brooklynegan »

Very true article. I remember my interest of reading began when I was a child because my parents would read to me every night. Little things like that can spark something new and creative.
gmarie122

Post by gmarie122 »

My daughter is 2 and loves to "read" and be read to. I honestly feel such relief because I am a huge reader and to know I had a part in the beginning of her love of books is awesome.
I read to her every day since she was born and she caught on due to the repetition I think. It's a great bonding activity.
ElphabaEvans
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elphabaevans.html

Post by ElphabaEvans »

This is so true- I can't imagine not reading to my son! I hope it is a source of lifelong comfort for him, as it is for me!
RaineL
Favorite Author: There are many
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by RaineL »

Encouraging children to read is definitely a job in itself. As a child I did not like reading until the sixth grade when there was a read-a-thon contest during a one month period of time. I got it in my head that I wanted to win tickets to the movies. My mother gave me some romance books to read that weren't filled with too many sex scenes in them. It was the mid-80's so some of the romance novels weren't nearly as explicit. I won the contest! I blew through nearly 60 books. They actually didn't believe that I read that many books and even quizzed me about them because we had to provide the titles.

I encourage my five year old son to read and he actually helps me review the children's books that we read. He thinks that is great fun. He loves to pretend he is reading on his own and we sit and read books together. It is also a great way to bond with him.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

RaineL wrote:Encouraging children to read is definitely a job in itself. As a child I did not like reading until the sixth grade when there was a read-a-thon contest during a one month period of time. I got it in my head that I wanted to win tickets to the movies. My mother gave me some romance books to read that weren't filled with too many sex scenes in them. It was the mid-80's so some of the romance novels weren't nearly as explicit. I won the contest! I blew through nearly 60 books. They actually didn't believe that I read that many books and even quizzed me about them because we had to provide the titles.

I encourage my five year old son to read and he actually helps me review the children's books that we read. He thinks that is great fun. He loves to pretend he is reading on his own and we sit and read books together. It is also a great way to bond with him.
I do the same with my 8 years old son. He reads by himself, but I also read to him and he have reviewed some books with my help. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I am excited to get my son to be interested in reading. He is just like his mommy in the sense that when I start reading something to him he looks at the pictures and appears to become interested. Even though he is only 7 months I try to read to him as much as I can. He loves the bright colors and it is funny to watch him 'respond' to what I am reading to him. I am looking forward to a time when I can walk into his room and see him snuggled up getting lost in a book.
pstover07
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by pstover07 »

My daughter is fourteen months old. I try to read to her every day. I am hoping that she will develop a love for books the same way I did as a child. While I enjoy reading her books, I also try to find other things to read to her as well. This year we opened all of our Christmas cards together and I read every one of them to her. She also likes to help me in the kitchen. I read recipes to her when I cook. I can sign her up for the reading program at our public library when she turns two. I am very excited about it. She has already gone to the library with me several times. I also cut pictures out of magazines of items and glue them in picture books for her. I label what each item is so she can learn what the picture is and what the spelling of the word looks like. The best thing about making your own books for your child is that you get to make the decision about what goes in the book and it doesn't cost you anything but time.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”