Getting Children Interested In Reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
YankeesJTJ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by YankeesJTJ »

I think a lot has to do with the kids themselves, things that motivate one child to read won't necessarily motivate another. I've got 2 girls ages 9 and 12. They grew up in the same house with the same parents and one loves to read and other we have a little harder of a time to get reading. (Depends on the day! Some days she'll get into a book and we can barely get her to stop reading to have dinner!) We've never been sticklers for no tv. However, since they were very little we've always set aside 15, 20 minutes to read to them or when older for them to read. My oldest embraces it whole heartedly and won't go to bed without reading first. I think if you start them off young and keep it going then it won't be such a chore to get them to read.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I have a theory, based on limited evidence, that new parents get all motivated reading bedtime stories to their first child but by the time No 2 comes along the novelty has somewhat worn off and they aren't as diligent with the bedtimes reads & the excuses to avoid it increase.
IMO parents (or minders) reading to children is pivotal in getting children interested in books & reading ... could be totally wrong of course as I don't have any kids but I have done my share of child minding.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

^As Fran posted, I quite agree. I also know many parents who have done that (particularly my Auntie).

The parents are so "full of beans" at the start, but then they suddenly slack off. That's rather normal, as I believe, because a lot of humans do that. It's okay for the parents, not good for the children. I think this particularly happens with the parents that haven't been a fan of reading when they were younger. Besides, some people say they are too "old" for picture books. I guess that is also another reason.

I feel sorry for the second child though.
Ail.
Wulaishiwo2

Post by Wulaishiwo2 »

"Do Not Push Too Hard - If you try to force children to read, or if you otherwise pressure them to much, you will make them dislike reading. Try not to make reading seem like a chore. Instead, you want to get the children to read on their own free-will. You want them to read voluntarily because they see the fun and self-benefit of it. Forcing your children to read will make them into good slaves who like to obey orders, but it will not make them into good readers who like to read."

I think this tip is the most important.........
ShipOfFools

Post by ShipOfFools »

Fran wrote:I have a theory, based on limited evidence, that new parents get all motivated reading bedtime stories to their first child but by the time No 2 comes along the novelty has somewhat worn off and they aren't as diligent with the bedtimes reads & the excuses to avoid it increase.
IMO parents (or minders) reading to children is pivotal in getting children interested in books & reading ... could be totally wrong of course as I don't have any kids but I have done my share of child minding.
Hell, the only time that my sister's kids would get a chance to be read to, was when they would visit me! My sister would never read to them, and sometimes Julie (the older girl) would have to be reading to her sisters!

Julie is 10 years old right now, and is a smart cookie.

I remember one girl at college, whom I befriended. She would say, in her Facebook "books section"...
Don't read any!
Sadly, that is coming much too commonplace. People would prefer watching tv or movies, to opening a book. Granted, I like tv and movies as well, but they're NEVER as good as the book! :roll:
Kevinfelixlee

Post by Kevinfelixlee »

Now days kids love their xbox, but reading is really important and irreplaceable.
Lita

Post by Lita »

My parents didn't read me bedtimes stories or anything, but they taught me how to read at age 4, and since then I've been the one to pick up books and read on my own. The thing is, I haven't seen or known of any more kids that do that these days.

Funny thing is, I saw in this topic everyone mentioning TV and how it affects reading and such. I think so, too, but I don't think it affects it 100%. I used to watch A LOT of TV, but I still read a lot, and no one had to force me :/ I was just used to it. It's a habit. So if you teach your children to read from an early age, they'll get used to it and do it even without thinking, or when they're bored [instead of watching TV].
What I think is necessary, is setting up a "TV-schedule" I guess you'd call it, so for example, your kids can watch 1 hour of TV after lunch, but afterward they can't and they have to do something else.

I remember when I told my mom I was bored, she went, "being bored is for dumb people. And you're not dumb, so go do something fun." What did I do?
Read. lol
Jeny473

Post by Jeny473 »

I read to both of my children the first day they were born. I have read to them every day since. We don't have television as the services around here run about $100 a month and my husband and I agree we don't really like a ton of the stuff that is currently on. I also read a lot and my children see me do it so they learn it's important.
Tralala
Favorite Author: Hubert Selby Jr.
Favorite Book: Retro Hell
fav_author_id: 2789

Post by Tralala »

Fran wrote:I have a theory, based on limited evidence, that new parents get all motivated reading bedtime stories to their first child but by the time No 2 comes along the novelty has somewhat worn off and they aren't as diligent with the bedtimes reads & the excuses to avoid it increase.
+1, and it doesn't hurt if your kids see you reading, too. I've got a picture of my daughter from when she was about eighteen months old, sitting in a laundry basket and "reading" a book. She hasn't put 'em down since.
Same deal with my son, except I don't have any evidence on film. :)
How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure.
Avid Reader

Post by Avid Reader »

Find the subject to get them in and don't to too intellectual early on. Funny books are a good start.
merond

Post by merond »

Have family reading time! Either have everyone sit down and read their own book, or have one person read aloud to everyone else. It really increases interest in reading. If you have family reading time every day or every other day, you will soon find that most of your children are really interested in reading. It worked great for my brothers and I, and for my wife even though reading is arduous for her.

-- 21 Dec 2011, 00:15 --
YankeesJTJ wrote:I think a lot has to do with the kids themselves, things that motivate one child to read won't necessarily motivate another. I've got 2 girls ages 9 and 12. They grew up in the same house with the same parents and one loves to read and other we have a little harder of a time to get reading. (Depends on the day! Some days she'll get into a book and we can barely get her to stop reading to have dinner!) We've never been sticklers for no tv. However, since they were very little we've always set aside 15, 20 minutes to read to them or when older for them to read. My oldest embraces it whole heartedly and won't go to bed without reading first. I think if you start them off young and keep it going then it won't be such a chore to get them to read.
Oops, I guess I should have noticed you basically posted the same thing. Family reading time for the win!
TimeKeeperApprentice
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by TimeKeeperApprentice »

I'm a child that reads. So I know what other non-reading children do. When you bring up the word book they would probably won't be interested. There are a few{like 4 out of 17} that LIKE to read in my class. In my school they have something you call a Reading Log, the student must read a book 10-15 minutes each night and must have a parent or guardian sign to ensure the teachers that they have read. That doesn't work either. They put random names down sometimes and books they have never ever read. I am one of those kids sometimes because I have boring hand me down books at home and I forget to read a lot.
Potter Fan Forever
QTTg

Post by QTTg »

Too many children do not like reading books now . This is really an important problem .
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

TimeKeeperApprentice wrote:I'm a child that reads. So I know what other non-reading children do. When you bring up the word book they would probably won't be interested. There are a few{like 4 out of 17} that LIKE to read in my class. In my school they have something you call a Reading Log, the student must read a book 10-15 minutes each night and must have a parent or guardian sign to ensure the teachers that they have read. That doesn't work either. They put random names down sometimes and books they have never ever read. I am one of those kids sometimes because I have boring hand me down books at home and I forget to read a lot.
I hope you have a local library ... I would hate to think your love of reading was stifled by a lack of access to books and there are some superb books out there for young readers.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

I've learned not to force the issue too much with my younger sister. When she wants to read she will it's as simple as that for her. I used to encourage her when she was younger - although I think encourage is not a strong enough word and it was completely the wrong tactic which I realised (hopefully before I put her off reading completely) and just let it be. She became interested in the Harry Potter series after she watched the movies and wanted me to fill in the gaps which I did and eventually she became interested enough to read it for herself. She's not a big reader but she loves for me to tell her the stories of the books I read (the age appropriate ones) and it seems to work well for both of us.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”