Getting Children Interested In Reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
salberson 10
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Re: Getting Children Interested In Reading

Post by salberson 10 »

My mother started leaving Nancy Drew books on my night stand I swear the day I was born. Hence why I still like mystery novels. Harry Potter opened up magical worlds for me!! I will pass these to my kids!
cbmatte07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbmatte07.html

Post by cbmatte07 »

Great article! I have always encouraged my kids to read from a young age! I have 2 girls, one is 6 and the other 2. My oldest equally enjoys reading in both French & English languages. Since she was a baby I made it a habit to read a book every night until she started asking me to read 3, 4 or 5 books a night, how could I say no?! I had purchased the collection of Dr. Seuss and Disney books just to start a collection before she was even 2. She now how has her own mini library. My 2 year old I can only hope will take the same initiative. It will definitely be encouraged. But you can't win 'em all, I'm still working on my husband!
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

It wasn't until recently that I have actually started to enjoy reading books again, my parents got me interested at first, but then I lost interest in school when we were forced to read books!
Now that I no longer am forced to read anything, my girlfriend convinced me to read a few books, and now I am very much into reading!
writerbugg
Currently Reading: The Martian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerbugg.html

Post by writerbugg »

I'm definitely for reading to children at a young age. Sadly, because of a disability, my mother couldn't read to us in the evenings before bed. Despite that, I wound up being a big reader. I'm very glad that my relatives who have young children read to them in the evenings. The only thing I constantly worry about is that it seems that while kids love being read to and read several books a week, they don't seem inclined to want to pick up a book on their own. It seems you have to bribed them or tell them they need to put the wii down and go read a little bit. And afterward, when I ask them to tell me what they read, they flounder. I know they've read, but when it comes time to telling me about what they took in, they can't. These are kids ranging from ages 6 to 10. The other thing I fret about is the rage of making childrens books into TV shows. I often wonder if this is killing reading on some level. I only hope that as they get older they find reading more of a pleasure than just something they know they need to do.
T166ets

Post by T166ets »

As a recently retired elementary school librarian, I will have to say I never taught but two children that I couldn't get interested in reading any books. Those two students may have been pulling my leg, but I think they just prefered doing other things. Both of my own adult children were read to from the womb, until I couldn't read aloud quickly enough for them. They read to learn, for entertainment, and yes, for escape. My husband and I made sure there was a variety of reading material in our home and talked about what we were reading as well as what both of our children were reading as a family. We never denied them access to any book, encouraged them to read books and if there was anything confusing or uncomfortable about what they were reading to come and talk with us about it which they did. Teaching children that reading is a normal way of life rather than a task starts at home. Having to teach children who are five and six that reading is fun puts them farther behind with their own reading development. We made going to the library fun with our own children and I was told by my students that they enjoyed coming to the library because they never knew what interesting things we would do and learn. I had wonderful success reading the first chapter of a book, giving a brief outline of the story line, and always tried to add in a little hook that made them want the book to read right then. My best advice is read to children, make it a joyful experience, read aloud with enthusiasm, use different voices for each character, and afterwards talk about what they liked best about the story and the illustrations. If you aren't sure what your child likes ask them about the last book they read or had read to them that they really liked. This springboard often surprises, but always gets a chance to recommend.
Justmandijojo

Post by Justmandijojo »

I have been reading with my son every day since I first brought him home from the hospital. He is five years old now and he loves going to the library and picking out books and when we get home we read each one at least twice before he wants to do anything else.

I also have a system with my son. He earns points by doing chores and reading books. He can then turn those points in for 30 minutes of TV time. But he is only allowed to turn in enough points for 60 minutes in one day and they cannot be back to back. So far this system has worked well for us and he doesn't watch much TV. He can also save up his points for a sleepover with his grandparents and he usually chooses that over the TV time.
melody08

Post by melody08 »

I believe one great way to inspiring children to read is to be a good role model. If children see parents enjoying a good book and making time for reading it will make them wonder how much fun it can be and they will imitate the behavior. I have been reading to my 6 month old since he was in the womb. Hope we enjoy many years curling up with a book together,
Elaine29

Post by Elaine29 »

I always make sure my children have plenty of books around to enjoy. The hardest part is finding out what they actually enjoy. They have reading time before bed to ' calm down'. All 4 of them love it! In fact thinking now that its not really calming them down. They get into the book and its " just this chapter mummy and then will sleep....". Bit like me really!
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

I suggest reading to your child starting at a very young age at bedtime. I had a teacher who read to us in class everyday in grade 4 I believe it was. There were a lot of very slow, tough kids in there from very disadvantaged homes, but they sat quietly everyday and listened intently. You could have heard a pin drop. Otherwise these kids were trouble makers. Part of my keen desire to read came from those books she read us throughout the school year.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
kjustice15

Post by kjustice15 »

Great article. I have two little boys, their five and two months. I read aloud to both of them when I was pregnant, I was told The Stand was inappropriate but I did it anyway. I do worry that reading and writing are dying arts but, I do my best to work it into our day to day routine as much as possible.
momwifelife

Post by momwifelife »

My daughter is 18 months old and LOVES books! She watches me read and gets her books and want to read as well. I was the same way as a kid. My father read ALL the time so I mimicked him.
cathy_laine

Post by cathy_laine »

I'm having a hard time to get my toddler interested. I'm a working mom and the nannies are also having a hard time convincing my child to start opening books instead of watching tv. Would you have suggestions/recommendations for this type of situations?
momwifelife

Post by momwifelife »

I take my daughter on walks and listen to audio books. I also play audio books while we are in the car. I got lucky. She's not a TV kid. She enjoys more hands on activities. She will watch 5-10 mins max.

-- 07 Aug 2014, 09:06 --

The teachers at her daycare have story time twice a day. I'm addition to getting a bedtime story.
jenniferhurley
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferhurley.html

Post by jenniferhurley »

my parents always encouraged me to read as a kid, and i guess it was easy enough as i loved it. when i was at school, i was amazed at how many people got to 4/5 without having read a book by themselves. some of my classmates still hadn't read a book out of choice by 11! school reading always put me off though, i would read the book first, and then the slow group reading and overanalysis would ruin that book for me. i think it's a case of getting them interested early. if you don't read by 6/7, you're unlikely to change your mind and start reading, but if you're forced to read as a kid, you might rebel and never read again
Phlo

Post by Phlo »

Getting children interested in reading is getting more difficult for parents and teachers for various reasons. Sometimes parents with good intentions just do not have the time to spare, when their kids are younger. Many might disagree with me, but reading apps and reading games seem to interest children. Maybe its the animation or perhaps the rich colors. I am not sure of the reasons, but some of the apps from this list and online reading games really got my kid interested in reading.
I was reluctant to use them, but I'm not complaining now as he's hooked to reading - regular and e-books! :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”