Getting Children Interested In Reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BookMePlease
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BookMePlease »

Great article! I really think it's a shame that reading is declining so much. One thing that works for us is to buy the books that tie into video games the kids are playing. They got hooked, and now are willing to branch into other types of books.
mystorytown

Post by mystorytown »

Hello,
You are right it is a shame and I agree that video games tied in seem to help. Funny how kids almost need to be tricked into reading.
dragoncub

Post by dragoncub »

Very impressive indeed. Book reading really refreshes mind helps to develop a good mental level. And if it practiced from childhood, then it a wow growth. :D

There are lots of children books available on many topics to attract them and very good authors are writing books according to children taste.
mystorytown

Post by mystorytown »

Thank you. I agree that there are alot of books and great authors to write them. It looks like your site is a great place for them to put them. I can tell our authors about your site. Our site is only to help them market their books and for kids to have access to free books. Ultimately, we hope that their popularity will allow them many sales through sites such as yours. :o)
speechless

Post by speechless »

I think the problem is that parents don't want to take the time to teach their kids to read, so they sit them in front of the tv instead. There are plenty of books that many children enjoy; it has to be encouraged.
Kosmex5

Post by Kosmex5 »

Thanks for the article. It's so important to encourage reading early, or at least have age-appropriate books available. I'm amazed and saddened by the number of adults I've met who claim they never read unless they have to.
Dixi

Post by Dixi »

This informations are true, I got all my three children to read when they were 4 yrs old, and now with this computer age they're in, all I could say is they're still prefer reading when they have free time. :D
reyema01

Post by reyema01 »

I think the thing that motivated me the most to read was listening to a teacher read with excitement. It made me want to be able to create characters on my own with my own voice for each different character that I encountered. Reading to someone different things with excitement, books that are funny, books that are serious and sad, can present various human emotions that will make kids and people in general want to identify with them.

Taking the time to "act" out different characters with one's voice can really motivate kids to want to do that for themselves.
kidzcare

Post by kidzcare »

Nice article... the best thing is to first understand the thinking of your kids and make yourself as an exemplary person. Getting yourself closer to your kids let you know how your kid thinks and behaves in situations. Comics are great way to give them a friendly reading environment. Also comics are very easy to understand by kids for any topic even diseases and medical & health issues. You can buy many titles from medical comics shop like kidzcomics. com.
wdbooks

Post by wdbooks »

what has worked for us has been:

1) get rid of cable
2) movie/video game tie in books
3) leaving assorted books laying around that we hope the kids might like (this works because they get bored and then pick it up .. and shockingly decide they like it!)
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

As well as less tv, there should be less facebook, phones and communication with other people. I'm only a teenager myself, but I don't do what all my class mates do, I prefer to read.

Reading is a high level of enjoyment and it's also a moment of personal pleasure-to escape from the outside world. Less children are reading. No, let's face the facts, only four out of the twenty-nine people in my class two years ago knew how to appreciate the world of books. Today, those four, only two still read, and one's dying down, turning for facebook and that sort of thing.

But that's teenagers. What about children?

Try to get them addicted as soon as possible. That way there's more possibility to enjoy the pleasure of reading later in life. Maybe for 2-6 year olds, maybe just let them 'have' a book. Let them study the pictures...
At +6 years, maybe that's when you have to really promote books. Take them to the library every day, if you need to I mean.

I'm only thirteen, I'm not a parent. These are just my opinions.

That's what I think. If you think another way, I respect it.
Ail.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Aileenhu wrote:As well as less tv, there should be less facebook, phones and communication with other people. I'm only a teenager myself, but I don't do what all my class mates do, I prefer to read.

Reading is a high level of enjoyment and it's also a moment of personal pleasure-to escape from the outside world. Less children are reading. No, let's face the facts, only four out of the twenty-nine people in my class two years ago knew how to appreciate the world of books. Today, those four, only two still read, and one's dying down, turning for facebook and that sort of thing.

But that's teenagers. What about children?

Try to get them addicted as soon as possible. That way there's more possibility to enjoy the pleasure of reading later in life. Maybe for 2-6 year olds, maybe just let them 'have' a book. Let them study the pictures...
At +6 years, maybe that's when you have to really promote books. Take them to the library every day, if you need to I mean.

I'm only thirteen, I'm not a parent. These are just my opinions.

That's what I think. If you think another way, I respect it.
Ail.
Ail ... are you sure you're only 13? When I read your post I felt there has to be some hope for the world while it had such mature and articulate people in the next generation. :D
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
ShipOfFools

Post by ShipOfFools »

Back when I was a kid, there was no internet. There was TV (I'm 28 ), and video games, and cd players, but as far as distractions like these, there wasn't anything like that.

I started reading at an early age. I remember toting around a book or two when I would go on trips. One memorable trip, where we stayed on a lake in a cabin, my mom brought a whole box full of library books; and I read half of them by the end of the trip.

I think the current atmosphere isn't conductive to kids reading. I mean, there was the Harry Potter craze, and same with Twilight, but aside from that, what recent books have been "appealing" to children? I can't think of many.

I had Gordon Korman, the Boxcar Children, The Three Investigators, Goosebumps, and many other favorites as a kid. I can't think of a single author, other than JK Rowling, who instills that same appeal in reading for kids.

Maybe we need more children's authors?
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

Fran wrote: Ail ... are you sure you're only 13? When I read your post I felt there has to be some hope for the world while it had such mature and articulate people in the next generation. :D
My thoughts exactly.

Damn, I wish there was a Thank you button here. Anyhow, I didn't get along with other children much, so I split my time between computer games and reading - if I had a good book, I read; if I didn't, I played.

However, I am at times alarmed when I see what are the younglings capable of - but the truth is it's often not their fault; their parents should have grown mature before they had kids.
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

Aw, thanks. Yea, I'm only thirteen. Fourteen in October.

I hope there's some hope for our generation too. ;)
Fran wrote:
Ail ... are you sure you're only 13? When I read your post I felt there has to be some hope for the world while it had such mature and articulate people in the next generation. :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”