Getting Children Interested In Reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Getting Children Interested In Reading

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I am not a mother yet, but I have been an educator for a few years now. I have watched one particular student who came to in my first year of teaching who absolutely hated reading. He would yell and be rude to anyone who wanted to hear him read, and forget about putting a book in front of him!

However, working one-on-one, I came to realize very quickly, he hated reading because he wasn't a strong reader and felt down about himself. So, I have some junior chapter books, with some pictures, that we took our time to read together, and had several discussions throughout each book, and now he can't get enough of reading! He's especially loving the I Survived book series!

That's definitely one of the benefits of being an educator, witnessing someone who found out how much they actually love to read! I have faith I can instill this with my future children.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”