Currently Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
bplayfuli
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bplayfuli »

Finished Cat's Cradle and started Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides.

An interestsing thing happened while reading Cat's Cradle, though. I've been talking to this guy online & we're getting along very well. While we were chatting one afternoon he told me he likes the cut of my jib, although he wasn't sure what a jib is or how you cut it. Two days later I turn a page, and notice the title of chapter 87 is "The cut of my jib" Huh. Weird coincidence, or could this man be part of my karass?
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Serendipity perhaps?
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

inkcharmed

Post by inkcharmed »

And Only To Deceive by Tasha Alexander, Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, Chapter After Chapter by Heather Sellers. I guess it depends on my mood what I dip into at the time, but I just started And Only To Deceive, which someone blurbed it was as if Jane Austen wrote The Da Vinci Code, so that sounds pretty much perfect for me. It better be good. :) Anything with beautiful language, and a mystery steeped in history gets me excited. I think Fingersmith, which I've also just started, will turn out the same way. Then we've got a fantasy YA book, which I'm not going to lie, I LOVE, and a writers inspiration book, which I'm constantly buying and reading.
NYLee

Post by NYLee »

Kafka on the shore
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I started On Beauty by Zadie Smith this morning but the writing style annoyed me so much I gave up on it very quickly. I just don't have the patience to stick with something that irritates me like that at the moment.

So now I'm going to read Earthly Delights by Kerry Greenwood. I read Devil's Food a couple of months ago and LOVED it, so I have high hopes for Earthly Delights.

awelker

Post by awelker »

i still have a couple books that i have to read for school but i got plum lovin from my aunt last night and i can't put it down. i will probably end up reading at the baby shower that i am going to today.
knightss

Post by knightss »

The Trial by Franz Kafka. I've been pretty busy lately.. i miss my reading time =(
awelker

Post by awelker »

im with you on that one. really hate being so busy lately at least with school stuff. i mean i have absolutly no time to read.
Bumpy6994

Post by Bumpy6994 »

Portrait of An Artist As A Young Man by James Joyce and hopefully i can finish my short stories compilation from Franz Kafka (The Trial, Metamorphis, Etc.)
lovemusic

Post by lovemusic »

I just finished reading The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr. It is a psychological thriller for a thinking person. The story takes place in NYC in the 1890?s. It focuses on an eclectic team of investigators headed by an alienist (psychiatrist) who are pursuing a serial killer. It is fascinating how this killer has many different sides which are peeled away a little at a time as the story unfolds. Carr manages to create a very human character out of what some might consider a monster. He develops his plot while providing a fascinating historical and psychological perspective. This book is for people who like to take their time going through a mystery; not your typical, fast-faced thriller. I liked it so much that I am going to start on the Alienist next, which is the prequel to The Angel of Darkness.

Prior to that I read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I had heard so much about this story that I was curious. Many people have compared the Da Vinci Code to this book. I found this book much more interesting, although I can?t say that I loved it. It is a difficult book to read, but it gives you much to think about. The language is difficult; it has so much Latin that it becomes tedious. I was getting frustrated with how much I might be missing. Although entertaining, suspenseful, and thought-provoking, I do have mixed feelings about it. It is seeped in history, psychology and philosophy. This book is not for everybody.

The book prior to that was a really interesting book by a new writer: Re?enev by Mike Maranhas. The language in this book is just beautiful. It is another suspense novel for the thinking person, only this one moves FAST. I had a hard time putting it down. It is the story of a beautiful marriage that has fallen apart; the couple are trying to work through their problems; and their counselor suggests a vacation to further heal the relationship. They go to the beautiful, tropical island of Re?enev (note it is veneer spelled backwards). That?s when all heck breaks loose. On a hike in the middle of the tropical jungle, the wife gets hurt and then vanishes. He has to find her fast, but there is someone or something out there trying to kill him. This story has many twists and turns and a surprising ending. There is excellent character development that allows the reader to understand, from a psychological perspective, why these people behave as they do. When you finish the book, you can?t stop thinking about it: the thoughts, motives and actions that led to the ending. You also question how you perceive the world around you and the impact it might have on your life. The first six chapters are available for free on the author?s web site. Enjoy!
awelker

Post by awelker »

i am currently reading my sisiters keeper by jodi piccolt.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I've just started The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

knightss

Post by knightss »

The Grapes of Wrath
and
Too Weird for Ziggy

.. ones a light read the other is a heavy read so i pick a book depending on what mood i'm in lol
awelker

Post by awelker »

i loved the grapes of wrath. i thought that it was beautifully written and was easy to follow.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

knightss wrote:.. ones a light read the other is a heavy read so i pick a book depending on what mood i'm in lol
That's usually my modus operandi too.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”