Article: How To Select A Book To Read

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Re: Article: How To Select A Book To Read

Post by prarich »

Good article! I prefer asking like minded friends for recommendations. If they have liked a book, I should too, though it may not happen all the time, but it is a safe bet. Book clubs are a great source too. These days Social networks like Facebook too have book club groups or communities where people suggest books.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

I have almost always been on my own with selecting books to read. My sisters didn't like to read much when we were growing up. My mother read a lot of romance and my dad was into westerns. I usually relied on the school library, because we didn't get downtown to the county library often. As an adult I gravitate to the authors I know. I have come across a lot of new authors with having a Kindle and the access to free books that comes with it. That's hit or miss. If a description appeals to me, I will skim through the reviews to weed out any that are poorly written or contain content that I have no interest in reading.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
SWilder

Post by SWilder »

Excellent advice. Amazon has recently started pitting best vs. worst reviewes, and on one of my stories which has only 5 stars so far (knock on wood), they actually excerpt quotes from the reviews that reflect things that other people have said - that is to say, where agreement is found on review points. Helpful. I do usually try to read everything a favorite author has written.

Because of the varying interests, intellects, and language preferences, i find it difficult to take recommendations from friends. We simply don't like the same things, for the most part. For non-fiction, I find referrals from Bill Moyers and Truthout (on facebook) to be the most helpful - I first learned of Thomas Pikkety's Economics book and Chris Hedges (pulitzer prizewinner, sued the U.S. govt) from these sources.
Colbycomp22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colbycomp22.html

Post by Colbycomp22 »

I like to get a selection of books that I would potentially want to read and then I read samples of those books to see if any if them can capture my attention and hook me.
Shara_davis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shara-davis.html

Post by Shara_davis »

Great article! Of course, I love for my friends to suggest books. We tend to disagree on books which makes for a fun debate! I also read books by the same author. If I like one writing style, chances are I will enjoy the writers other story lines. My favorite way of selecting a book is to go to the library and pick a book with a interesting title. I love not knowing exactly what the book is about!
vickylette33

Post by vickylette33 »

assess your genre favorites then pick a few books that look interesting read the backs witch ever is best read it or search online for national best sellers

-- 26 Jun 2014, 02:03 --
Ravenmount
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 16854">The Glass Bead Game</a>
Currently Reading: Fear
Bookshelf Size: 2228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenmount.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by Ravenmount »

My whole family reads, a lot, so when I want to read something I don't already own, I visit my brother and we browse his collection of books he has already read (he only keeps them if they were at least good enough that he would recommend them to someone), stacking up books for me to borrow until I have a box-full. Then I just start with the ones on the top of the stacks. I am always browsing used book stores, garage sales and thrift stores for more books, so I already own more books than I need, especially if I keep borrowing more. I also go to the local library once a month and browse till I have 4-8 books that catch my interest, just to support the library by adding my patronage to their stats. As far as selecting which book to read next, I make myself pick up one of the books from the top of one of the stacks I have at home (libray, borrowed, and various stacks of my own books), and if I feel drawn to another book halfway through reading the one I picked, I read both. Overthinking which book to start wastes valuable time I could be using to read a book.
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
sicsempertyrannis93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicsempertyrannis93.html

Post by sicsempertyrannis93 »

What I find most enfuriating about selecting a book to read is that there are so many I want to read, I end up reading too many at the same time and inevitably I have to put at least a few down for a while, some I never pick back up again. I second Amazon, there's some great lists on there. For anyone in college, ask your English professor what he or she has been reading.
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

frogfriend wrote:One of the ways I pick up new books is just go to barnes and noble and walk through each aisle. I scan each shelf and if a title sticks out to me I check out the back or inside cover to see if there is a synopsis. If it seems interesting I put it on my list of books to buy. I do this for most of the sections in the store. Another thing I like to do if I am searching for books in a certain style or subject is go to amazon and use the listmania feature. I can search for something like existential fiction and get lists compiled by others of books they found interesting. You have to do a bit of digging sometimes since the searches don't always turn up books that are pertinent to what you were looking for but I have found a lot of good books this way.
Yes I also do this. It takes time but it is definitely worth it to just wander through a good bookstore and have a look.
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
rjhaug
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjhaug.html
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz

Post by rjhaug »

I call home and talk to my parents. They are avid readers to, guess we know where I got that gene from. We share information on what we have read and by which authors. When we read the same books we go back and discuss what we read. I have got them started on a couple of different series an authors. It interesting to see how close our tastes in books run and differing views of what the author was trying to get across or meaning of the book itself.
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz
Reetikal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reetikal.html

Post by Reetikal »

I always get confused on this one. Which book to read when difficult to prioritise
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

Now I start to listen goodreads' advices! I love how they suggest books according to my interests.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

What I do is that I have an account at Goodreads and because of my newsfeed which shows what my friends are reading and advertisement, I find it easy to go and surf the books and select which ones to read. They also recommend books to their members so that helps too. I read the plot given and if I like it, I select it to read. And if the book cover is really awesome then I would definitely be attracted to read it
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I love talking to friends, browsing book stores and sampling ebooks to find my next book to read; there are so many to choose from! Also, forums such as this one provides one with ample books to choose from. I love the books of the month offered by book clubs as well because usually its a book I would not have chosen to read. However, I end up enjoying the book nonetheless.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
jgreen11
Currently Reading: Deception Point
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgreen11.html
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita

Post by jgreen11 »

I like picking books based on senses that have little to do with the actual content of the book: sight and smell. If the book has an appealing, bright cover, I'm more likely to pick it up. Also if the book smells good, I'm even more likely to keep reading! Does anyone else do that? Haha I really love the smell of books, though I do have to agree that friends' recommendations work best for choosing new books to read! I've found great books from taking with my friends, as well as my cousins!
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Luke 12:34
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”