Article: How To Select A Book To Read

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Article: How To Select A Book To Read

Post by Loveabull »

emilyjane234 wrote:I remember as a kid I kept telling my mom that heaven would just be a giant library so I would never run out of books to read! Now as an adult I am an avid reader and involved in quite a few book clubs.
Actually my vision of heaven is more like an endless Barnes and Noble, most libraries don't have the coffee bar and Danish...It would have all the books ever written, all the books that will ever be written...and you're there for eternity...Good suggestions for choosing books though. I get titles from all sources then keep them on a wish list until I buy them and/or the local library gets them.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
x1f4j8k9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-x1f4j8k9.html

Post by x1f4j8k9 »

Very nice article, may help me when it comes time to pick my next book.
tracydinh96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracydinh96.html

Post by tracydinh96 »

I just look at the back cover and read the summary they have there. The cover and title also pulls me into the book.
alegator28

Post by alegator28 »

I have a small obsession with buying physical books even though I own a Kindle Fire. I just love the smell and feel of holding a book. I know there is a saying that bewares people of judging a book by its cover but that is often what I end up doing. Every weekend I got to my local book store to get a couple of new books in order to build my library. I always read the names and look at the covers to pick which synopsis I want to check out. I've never been disappointed with my choices based on covers.
Raymy12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymy12.html

Post by Raymy12 »

Great article! I enjoyed all the helpful suggestions.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Very good article! One could only wish to even make a dent in reading all the books available out there and to have the open mind to do it! When it comes to picking a book I will usually look for the ok nesnoffered for free first and then if I like it I will go out and purchase it but not before having read the reviews in it and the summary of the story.
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

It depends on it's ratings, it's cover, it's genre, it's blurb, it's author etc. but usually if I'm deciding what to read next it depends on it's size and much be different to the last book I read.
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

I'll keep that in mind for the next book I read. :mrgreen:
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

Great article! Good ideas for those that struggle to figure out what to read next.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell
flip1948

Post by flip1948 »

Belonging to two bookclubs gives me two books every month to read. In one bookclub the local library allocates the book from a list that is made up from sellections of the 20 odd bookclubs it manages. The other club is a combination of a book that the library sellects and a book that the members agree on. In addition I try to read the winner of the Booker Prize; the Pulitzer Prize; the Miles Franklin Prize and the IMPAC Dublin Prize. After this it is down to looking through Amazon lists; the reviews in the paper; Goodreading Magazine and trolling through second-hand book shops. As everyone here knows I will never get to read all the books that I want to.

flip1948
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

Nice article! I am open to all recommendations and reviews. If an author I really like recommends something I will definitely try it. I usually browse Barnes and Noble online before going into the book store to get some ideas about new books that are out. This year I plan on reading a lot of banned books so what is what I will be looking for!
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
dianaan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaan.html

Post by dianaan »

I would add Goodreads.
scuster

Post by scuster »

That article highlights many of the ways that I use to select a book to read. One of the top methods that I use to select a book is if I am reading a good book written a book I chose to stay with the same author and choose a different book such as the "Gary Paulsen" book series and another method is choosing a random book off a highlight special book rack that others chose as one of their favorite books to read.
XxMonsterLoverxX
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xxmonsterloverxx.html

Post by XxMonsterLoverxX »

I have horrible problems picking out the next book I want to read. Before I started reviewing books, It was a lot easier. Just pick up any book that looks interesting, and start reading it. However, now that I do book reviews, I have a lot more going through my head when I'm trying to pick out a new book to read. How long have I had this book? Is there a due date for the review? Have I read books like this lately? I try to get help from people I know, but they just tell me to read books I've already read because it's easier. This one girl I knew was just starting to read some of the books that came out a few years ago, and kept telling me to read them. How do I explain to her that I've already read and reviewed the whole series? Lol. Rant over. I just try to follow lists I've made.
katiedid659
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiedid659.html

Post by katiedid659 »

It's a good article. I always choose books by the synopsis. If it sounds like an interesting story line to me, I read the book and if it doesn't, I don't. Unless I'm choosing a nonfiction instructional type book, then I choose by the amount of instructional knowledge that is being passed on.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”