Article: How To Select A Book To Read

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lakelander
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Article: How To Select A Book To Read

Post by Lakelander »

A previous Post, Number:#12 by ThomasRA1950, suggested amending Scott's original Post to include 'award-winning books'. Rather than driving into town and trudging round our one surviving bookstore, I now select a genre on my eReader, then simply enter in the Search Box, 'Award winning novel'. This instantly gives me a list of about 60 or so titles, which are the carefully considered choice of a variety of Competition Judges, invariably drawn from the most distinguished authors, publishers and critics in the business. A great time saver! I have rarely been disappointed and often struck gold.
bizworldusa12

Post by bizworldusa12 »

Selecting the book is really difficult.First you set book by category wise.then it is easy to select the book according to your mood .

Thank you
MaishaBlank

Post by MaishaBlank »

Great article. I never thought to ask my friends and family for suggestions. I normally go in the bookstore and look at the "What's New" and "Staff Picks" and get ideas from there. Thank you.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I don't think I've ever had a problem selecting a book to read .... problem has always been there are just too many on my TBR. :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
DivineIntervention
Favorite Book: The tenth circle
Currently Reading: Fifty shades of Grey

Post by DivineIntervention »

I go to book shops and wander around picking up any book that looks appealing or has a quirky title then I read the blurbs until I find one I need to read!
crazy4chocolate
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazy4chocolate.html

Post by crazy4chocolate »

I like going to Amazon and choosing a book based on narrowing down my result's for ex: genre-highest rated, and from there i will scan over review titles to get a feel for the book. This way of choosing has led me to many wonderful books!
DBR Books
Favorite Author: Joanna Trolloppe
Favorite Book: The Rectors Wife
Currently Reading: Waking Up Married
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbr-books.html
Latest Review: "Lance's Travels" by Lance Leuven

Post by DBR Books »

Sometimes I choose by authors - If i come across an author that i really like then I look for more books by the same author, and read until i exhaust the list.
Latest Review: "Lance's Travels" by Lance Leuven
lesleysward

Post by lesleysward »

sometimes i pick a book just by its title if the title intrigues me then i decide it may be worth a read
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

That's a really good about as to how many books there are out there. I often think I would never know if there was a book which was perfect for me because I might just miss it. Some books I have read through sheer coincidence and then absolutely loved!
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
paige742698

Post by paige742698 »

Goodreads helps when picking out new books. I don't know how I used to pick books out before I joined goodreads. Its nice to be able to look at the ratings for each book, gives you an idea at least of how good it is.
A_Marcella
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-marcella.html

Post by A_Marcella »

This is a great topic! There are so many ways out there online that to choose a book can become overwhelming. I will sometimes start out on my Android or on Amazon Kindle Books looking through the best sellers or onsale e-books then through those books a topic or author will spark my interest and then I get hooked searching on the books other readers purchased...it can be kind of fun. I also love to go to thrift stores and let go exploring to see where a good book might be hiding and many times these have been great reads that inspire me to look up the author online to read more or similar types of books.
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

Join forums related to books ... there are many virtual shelves out there.. join them... mostly prefer to read popular ones... like new york best sellers...
kendra53

Post by kendra53 »

I mostly go on goodreads to find a new book.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I never thought to use Amazon as a source for books recommendations. I think its because a lot of the books they have that I want to read are only offered for Kindles and I get frustrated, since I don't own one. I just use goodreads.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
william_ip_2000
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-ip-2000.html

Post by william_ip_2000 »

I seem to find lately what I read depends on my mood, hence the selection of biographies for inspiration.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”